Travel Insurance specific to Aussies?

Hi all,

I have booked my cruise on Radiance in December through a TA in another country (as I have family that uses them all the time and they have been superb in all past dealings)

They have offered optional travel insurance as part of the quote, but looking briefly at travel policies online here in Australia, it seems that what they have offered is very expensive with much less benefits.

I am not sure if certain travel insurance options can be named on this site or not. If they can, can anyone please let me know what they usually take in terms of insurance? I am travelling with a wife and three kids.

I have travelled many times before and never taken travel insurance, but sounds like for a cruise it is something that is pretty important to have.

We feel travel insurance is very important, whether you are going on a cruise or travelling on land.

Currently we buy an annual policy with Travel Insurance Direct and it covers us for our numerous trips in the year. Last year it cost $345 but we have just renewed and it cost a bit more ($375 I think).

Another type of insurance that we have used is the 'free' one with Visa credit cards. With the ANZ one customers just have to pay at least $250 of the cost of their trip on the card to qualify. This insurance has a non-deductable excess of $200 on each claim, but if you haven't had to pay a premium to buy the insurance, this is still a very good deal. We have had one large claim (and our son an ever larger one) and there were no problems at all in having everything covered. This type of insurance does not cover the excess on a hired motor vehicle if it registered in a country other than Australia so if you play to hire a car, this insurance probably isn't for you.

We feel travel insurance is very important, whether you are going on a cruise or travelling on land.

Currently we buy an annual policy with Travel Insurance Direct and it covers us for our numerous trips in the year. Last year it cost $345 but we have just renewed and it cost a bit more ($375 I think).

Another type of insurance that we have used is the 'free' one with Visa credit cards. With the ANZ one customers just have to pay at least $250 of the cost of their trip on the card to qualify. This insurance has a non-deductable excess of $200 on each claim, but if you haven't had to pay a premium to buy the insurance, this is still a very good deal. We have had one large claim (and our son an ever larger one) and there were no problems at all in having everything covered. This type of insurance does not cover the excess on a hired motor vehicle if it registered in a country other than Australia so if you play to hire a car, this insurance probably isn't for you.

AT, just did a dummy quote on the annual insurance and the price was $390.....still cheaper than 1 cover at $499 if you're under 60

AT, just did a dummy quote on the annual insurance and the price was $390.....still cheaper than 1 cover at $499 if you're under 60

We are both over 60. :D I have just pulled out our Certificate of Insurance and it shows both our ages. (sigh of relief!!) We paid $376 and the insurance runs for 12 months from June 2012.

Gosh DT1304 can't believe you've never taken out Travel Insurance when travelling before.....:eek: We personally never leave home without it.

If you have a credit card that includes Travel Insurance that's a good way to go as you'll get good cover and it's included with your credit card. Many don't know they have it attached to their credit card.

Better to be sure than sorry..... especially travelling with 3 children.

Jilly:)

Yeah, it is crazy that I have never taken out travel insurance, especially since my dad is an insurance broker.

Having said that, my dad lives in another country so I cant rely on him for my insurance requirements now.

I have always paid for my travel on my credit card so have some cover that way.

I have taken advantage of the high AU$ and paid my cruise in full now, so just need to now get the insurance sorted out.

Credit card insurance is ok if you have no pre existing issues. No credit card company will give me insurance cover, even if I pay an extra premium and my pre existing conditions are really quite minor. Just check too that you have the credit card that has travel insurance. The basic cards dont, you need to have gold, or higher with all the banks I have approached.

I have gone with covermore and paid extra for pre existing. Was just over $600 for 2 of us for an annual policy. Taking an annual was actually cheaper than taking a 10 day policy for south pacific and a 6 week europe one. Also gives cover for any other spur of the moment trips we book during the year as long as no trip is more than 45 days.

Archived