Average cost for meals and drinks 12 cruisetour

kr9457

Wondering what most people spend for meals and drinks on a 12 day cruisetour. We're on vacation so we do like to enjoy a good meal but don't over overboard every meal either. We get what we want and really don't worry about the price too much. Will probably get a few lunches at the ports also as we like to try the local restaurants when we travel I enjoy a few glasses of wine in the evening and my husband a couple of beers or mix drinks at night while on vacation. Won't be doing the beverage package on the ship because we are not that big of drinkers and with meals we like water and coffee or tea with breakfast. Just trying to figure what the 12 days will run about.

For our pre-stay in Vancouver, I had planned on $75 per person per day and was within about $3-5 of that. We do not really do much for breakfast other than coffee, juice and maybe a roll. We did each have a couple of drinks (beer, wine, mixed) each day.

I found that while on Princess this past June, we averaged $9-10 per drink by the time the automatic gratuity was added. We ate lunch and snacks/beverages in two of the ports (Juneau and Skagway) and each time is was about $25 per person for an average sandwich/entree and a beer. We did not however eat any fish which would have been significantly more.

We did a cruise tour through Princess and again I had planned on $75 per person a day, but we ended up not spending quite that much, probably because we had lunch included on two of our tours. Anytime we did a sit down restuarant, we did spend about $30 a person.

What I found very helpful for planning was to look for restuarants in the ports or towns we were visiting and check out their menus, as most were available online.

When on land I seldom sit down for any meal other than dinner in the evening and that runs about $30 a person including tip.

I carry along my own breakfast stuff (not a big deal) and have a lot of snacks in my bag. For lunch I plan on having a sandwich. Subway sort of stuff runs about $12.

The older we get the less we eat (we are mid-60's).

budgetqueen's figures are very accurate.

When we ate at hotels, the full breakfast buffett was $15-18pp usually. I think most of our lunches were around $25-30 for two of us and supper could be done for the same unless we had drinks with it. Or the night we went to an Italian place in Fairbanks and the wife ordered about the most expensive thing on the menu and I had a few pints of beer with supper. That night got to be about $70.

Oh, and on the off chance you're going through Beaver Creek, that can be expensive too as our group got bored there and tried to see if we could drink the bar out of booze that night.

I'm sure YMMV, sometimes on vacation we splurge other times the meals and drink aren't part of the interest and we spend very little.

For us in Alaska in ports spent almost nothing, drinking isn't viewed as "fun" so we spent 0 for drinks, great for the budget :D

Other times our budget mirrors similar to a splurge in town, 60-90/person no drinks either...

Wondering what most people spend for meals and drinks on a 12 day cruisetour. We're on vacation so we do like to enjoy a good meal but don't over overboard every meal either. We get what we want and really don't worry about the price too much. Will probably get a few lunches at the ports also as we like to try the local restaurants when we travel I enjoy a few glasses of wine in the evening and my husband a couple of beers or mix drinks at night while on vacation. Won't be doing the beverage package on the ship because we are not that big of drinkers and with meals we like water and coffee or tea with breakfast. Just trying to figure what the 12 days will run about.

We are planning $100 per day for the 2 of us for the land portion. I do have drink package on the ship so will not splurge on the land portion. Hope we can make that work, this trip is already costing a small fortune. I know it will be worth it in the end.

You should be able to make it work. One area where costs are silly is beverages. Ordering plain water (not bottled) instead of iced tea can save $3 a person per meal!

Alcohol sales are a huge profit center for hotels and restaurants. But we all know that.

I always stock up on basic stuff before driving out of Anchorage. COSTCO, Fred Meyer etc, and have my own food and beverage items for my driving tours.

This is much the same way I live at home which is why I can afford to travel for pleasure.

Archived