Sick of questions about tips

dololie

I think the cruise line should add tips into the cost of your cruise. People try to make every excuse in the book not to tip. I don't eat in the dinning room. The room steward did not give me enough ice. Put yourself in there position. Most of you would raise he--------- if you worked no less than 10 hours a day and got paid what they do. The crew maybe from 3rd world countries but they have bills to pay and mouths to feed just like us. They are over worked and under paid. Many of you that drink on a cruise does not complain about the 15% the waiter gets for bringing you a drink. Drink waiters spend how much time with you and you give them 15%. A server in the MDR spends more than that everynight. They have to get you something else if you don't like it. You figure out how much your 15% are everyday to the drink staff than you may stop complaining how much you pay for the dinning room staff.

I agree, but cruise lines bring it on themselves for all the complaints because they choose to keep many things that should already be incorporated into the cruise fare out of it in order to make it look like the cruise is cheaper. It's the same thing the airlines do with baggage these days and they also get tons of complaints.

The bottom line very few complainers ever don't cruise or don't fly because of it. So as much as we get sick of seeing the complaints and disagreements, it will be never-ending.

i'm sick of people complaining about people complaining about complainers of tipping.

sometimes, tipping is not warranted period. bad service received? well, you should not reward that person with a tip. you know, sometimes it truly is bad service. not cheapness.

it really chaps my behind when people assume people want to remove tips because they are cheap. many yes, but for what some do, the tips are not warranted.

i agree, there should be zero tipping, and the cruiselines should just charge it in the fee of the cruise to begin with then no one would have to hear anyone complaining.

but i should not tip for poor service...and that i have received on board.

and that 15% beverage tip irritates the hello out of me too...they don't even smile when they bring me a cocktail, knowing they get the tip, and don't do a think to deserve it....some, not all that is.

i do not tip, or adjust my tipping accordingly on land, why should i not do it on a cruise?

i don't care if they are from third world countries or the US of A....that is beside the point.

the cruiseline would actually like to move as many things from the fare to your on board account.

so, start with them.

and if tipping threads bother you, don't open them.

I agree, I almost NEVER open any thread with tips in the topic...I usually get good service every time I've been but if it's better they will get an extra tip...Dennis

It's the same thing the airlines do with baggage these days and they also get tons of complaints.

The bottom line very few complainers ever don't cruise or don't fly because of it. So as much as we get sick of seeing the complaints and disagreements, it will be never-ending.

If you go to Fed Ex and ask to ship a 50 pound item (i.e. suitcase), how much would you pay for next day delivery? Far more than the one way air fare in many circumstances... I ship many items Fed Ex and have thought to myself that the .5 pound item I'm sending is costing $35...airlines are CHEAP in comparison...and it arrives in 3 hours. Perspective.

I love the service on a cruise...far better than many hotels (even 5*) I've stayed at. Some hotels I stay at do have twice daily room attending with turndown service (most don't), but they've yet to leave a towel animal, but I still leave a tip on the nightstand for the person that is cleaning up after me...and I make an earnest effort to minimize any mess. Cruising to me is an escape from reality...and worth every penny.

I prepay tips when I make my final payment so I don't have to worry about it on board the ship.

When I go to disney I generally pay the mousekeeper $5 a day - they only come once in the day (not complaining - as we are usualy at the parks anyway and no need for them to come more often) but I get that service once and tip everyday.

On the ship the alotted $3.50 of my prepaid gratuities go to my steward - who comes in several times a day if needed, my room is always clean, bed made (even if I have a afternoon nap - or mid day shower) and they really do cater to me... so knowing that they get less of a tip then I would give my Disney mousekeeper I will generally give them more, because I feel they deserve it!

I also feel that the people who cook my food and bring me drinks deserve a tip, so I never make adjustments. I get great service and even with the gratuities I feel I am geting a good deal or I wouldn't have booked.

Wonder if any one has tried to remove the 15% tip on there drink? I wonder if it could be done? ;)

Yet another cost saiving measure for the fugal !!!:eek:

LOL These post will never end. Im not a big poster but I have been around a while. Most of this stuff just keep's repeating it self. Like another poster said, If you don't like the subject then don't read it. :mad:

Wonder if any one has tried to remove the 15% tip on there drink? I wonder if it could be done? ;)

Yet another cost saiving measure for the fugal !!!:eek:

LOL These post will never end. Im not a big poster but I have been around a while. Most of this stuff just keep's repeating it self. Like another poster said, If you don't like the subject then don't read it. :mad:

Actually, you can, it's very easy to do, and I've only done it once.

I think the cruise line should add tips into the cost of your cruise. People try to make every excuse in the book not to tip. I don't eat in the dinning room. The room steward did not give me enough ice. Put yourself in there position. Most of you would raise he--------- if you worked no less than 10 hours a day and got paid what they do. The crew maybe from 3rd world countries but they have bills to pay and mouths to feed just like us. They are over worked and under paid. Many of you that drink on a cruise does not complain about the 15% the waiter gets for bringing you a drink. Drink waiters spend how much time with you and you give them 15%. A server in the MDR spends more than that everynight. They have to get you something else if you don't like it. You figure out how much your 15% are everyday to the drink staff than you may stop complaining how much you pay for the dinning room staff.

You are correct I would complain about working for the rates they work for. Then again you are allowing the cruise lines to give people such poor wages by supporting there tipping policy.

Personally I wish it the "tip" was part of the cruise price. I should not have to feel obligated to give a tip no matter how unsatisfied I am. That is the way the current set up is. It is also a bit of false advertising on the cruiselines part because you are supose to pay the tip. So just make it part of the fair. They will not do it because they want to evade paying tax's on that portion of the money.

I wish there were a section just for the tip & alcohol threads. There is far more to cruising

than tips & alcohol. But here on the Carnival boards, ITS OVERWHELMING.

And all of the cocky, snide remarks, Wow! And don't forget about topics consistently & constantly getting off track.

Its almost comical and so very predictable; you read the original post, then check out the last page

only to find how far off topic the subject has become, along with arguments.

No wonder so many people frown upon & laugh at the people on this particular section of Cruise Critic.

If you go to Fed Ex and ask to ship a 50 pound item (i.e. suitcase), how much would you pay for next day delivery? Far more than the one way air fare in many circumstances... I ship many items Fed Ex and have thought to myself that the .5 pound item I'm sending is costing $35...airlines are CHEAP in comparison...and it arrives in 3 hours. Perspective.

So your saying that Carnival should start charging fares based on how much a person weighs? :D

Or maybe they should have weigh in at the beginning and charge based on how much weight you gain while on the cruise. Say $150 per pound maybe??:D

I prepay tips when I make my final payment so I don't have to worry about it on board the ship.

When I go to disney I generally pay the mousekeeper $5 a day - they only come once in the day (not complaining - as we are usualy at the parks anyway and no need for them to come more often) but I get that service once and tip everyday.

On the ship the alotted $3.50 of my prepaid gratuities go to my steward - who comes in several times a day if needed, my room is always clean, bed made (even if I have a afternoon nap - or mid day shower) and they really do cater to me... so knowing that they get less of a tip then I would give my Disney mousekeeper I will generally give them more, because I feel they deserve it!

I also feel that the people who cook my food and bring me drinks deserve a tip, so I never make adjustments. I get great service and even with the gratuities I feel I am geting a good deal or I wouldn't have booked.

Well said, i agree.:)

Archived