Marseille Questions

nyyhoneybee

We are only in port from 7-4, I'm thinking that because of the short time it might not be a bad idea to check out the ship tours, as much as I usually don't like them. It will be DH's and my first time there.

Has anyone ever been to Les Baux de Provence? Thoughts on it? Is it worth it? Would you do it over Aix En Provence? Is it possible to DIY?

If we just decided to do Aix En Provence I've heard mixed reviews on how easy it is to DIY. Thoughts on this?

Can anyone maybe recommend a good tour company if I decided I want to set up a private tour?

Been to Les Baux many times (we once rented an apartment 10 miles away) and its a lovely small town located on a hill with nice views. You cannot possibly get their on your own unless you rent a car of hire a car/driver. It is totally different then Aix en Provence which is a much larger University city with lots of shopping, some great cafes, a beautiful avenue (Cours Mirabele) and lots of history (Cezanne lived and painted here). It is quite easy to get to Aix on your own (its a lot closer then Les Baux) by either local bus or train. Given your short port day we would recommend Aix over Les Baux.

Hank

Hank,,

Question on Les Baux, we read about mideval weaponry,whicH would facsinate my 9 yo. Are you familiar with that? If I take the NCL Epic tour, would he be able to see it? Thank you for all your responses on the French Ports.....

Also, to the previous poster, I contacted Catherine for a tour from Marseille and was very impressed with her emails. Alas, we cannot get anyone to share on our sailing, so can't use her, but I have read really good reviews. If you are interested, let me know and I will dig up her email so that you can contact her.

Stephanie

Hank,,

Question on Les Baux, we read about mideval weaponry,whicH would facsinate my 9 yo. Are you familiar with that? If I take the NCL Epic tour, would he be able to see it? Thank you for all your responses on the French Ports.....

Also, to the previous poster, I contacted Catherine for a tour from Marseille and was very impressed with her emails. Alas, we cannot get anyone to share on our sailing, so can't use her, but I have read really good reviews. If you are interested, let me know and I will dig up her email so that you can contact her.

Stephanie

Not sure we would ever need a guide here since we have spent months in the region :). Besides, DW and I consider the word "tour" to be a four letter word and we do not curse.

Getting back to Les Baux, there is a Chateau there that has a display of some medieval weapons and also does some demonstrations. But, we have no clue as to what would be on a cruise line tour since we never take tours in France.

Hank

We are only in port from 7-4, I'm thinking that because of the short time it might not be a bad idea to check out the ship tours, as much as I usually don't like them. It will be DH's and my first time there.

Has anyone ever been to Les Baux de Provence? Thoughts on it? Is it worth it? Would you do it over Aix En Provence? Is it possible to DIY?

If we just decided to do Aix En Provence I've heard mixed reviews on how easy it is to DIY. Thoughts on this?

Can anyone maybe recommend a good tour company if I decided I want to set up a private tour?

If you had not switched cruises to a week later, I would have invited you to join us on the excursion we will be taking. We are doing the NCL tour that includes Arles. Actually, the chance to see Arles, where Van Gogh did much of his best work, was one of the reasons why my wife (the world's best elementary art teacher) chose the Epic. The tour also includes a village on the sea including beaches (and of course the mandatory shopping opportunities).

The tour is new this year. So far it has two reviews. And naturally, one hated it while the other thought it was one of the best tours they took!

Marseilles does seem to be a port where a tour is more called for. Most comments here in the France section of cruisecritic seem to say that there is not much to do or see in Marseilles itself, and complain about the cost of getting to and from there from the ship.

Archived