Ft lauderdale arriving early leaving late

tacomaguy20

I'm arriving in Ft Lauderdale early around 7am. I found a red eye deal that was cheap but I arrive so early I'm not sure what to do. This is my first cruise and I don't know how to kill time and what to do with my luggage until its time to board the cruise. Does anyone have any advice? Also, my flight leaves for home around 8pm the night the cruise gets back to port... same kind of dilemma.

I am one who would have recommended flying in the day before the cruise just to be on the very safe side for flights.

What I would do is take a shuttle over to an airport hotel and have breakfast there. Even though you are not staying there you could have the porters at the hotels watch the luggage for you.

I would then leave the hotel around 10:00 AM and head over to the Port which is just a very short drive and check in your luggage and wait to board the ship. Just bring something to read.

Keith

We have flown in at 9 and gone right to the port and had only a very short wait until they let us in the terminal. Maybe take your time at the airport. By the time you have breakfast, pick up your luggage, and relax a bit, you can head over to the port. I know people will say it is way to early, but we have done it many times, and we are not the first people there.

Claudia

I agree with the heading to the hotel for breakfast. If you arrive TOO early to the cruise port, it may be too early for the porters to take your luggage and it will also be very busy as the previous cruisers are getting off the ship.

After the cruise, I would look into an excursion through the cruise line (the everglades tour is a popular selection) or you could do a day room at a hotel, enjoy the pool or you could head to a hotel near the water taxi, have them hold your luggage and get on the water taxi to las oslas and the beach.

FLL Airport has a public baggage hold service. Here is the link, just scroll down to the very bottom for info http://www.broward.org/AIRPORT/FAQS/Pages/CruisePassengers.aspx

Some airlines will not let you check bags prior to 2-3 hours before flights, so this is a nice thing to have instead of lugging the bags around.

I agree with the heading to the hotel for breakfast. If you arrive TOO early to the cruise port, it may be too early for the porters to take your luggage and it will also be very busy as the previous cruisers are getting off the ship.

After the cruise, I would look into an excursion through the cruise line (the everglades tour is a popular selection) or you could do a day room at a hotel, enjoy the pool or you could head to a hotel near the water taxi, have them hold your luggage and get on the water taxi to las oslas and the beach.

So the hotel will hold my luggage while I get breakfast or take the water taxi? That might work ok. What's the cost for them to hold it? Also, what is the earliest that I can board the ship?

On your return-once you fnd a home for your luggage -there is a water taxi that goes around Fort Lauderdale- It is really amazing to see the homes and yachts- Its right near the cruise terminal Not expensive and places to stop and get off and walk around. ( search Fort Lauderdale Water taxi)

The water taxi does not start until 10. It would take almost 2 hours for it to make the loop back to where you got on.

In Fll we have been on the ship by 11:30. But, they usually start letting you in the terminal about 9 or 9:30. You then sit in and area and wait to get on the ship. If you arrive later, and the inside is full, you wait outside to get on the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

We have the same problem arriving. We get in at 6:00 A.M. we booked the Ramada for the night before with a real late check in, yea 6-7 A.M. the next day. They will pick us up and the airport and check us out at noon and take us to the pier. We can nap,take a shower or hang at the pool until it is time to cruise. Beats hanging around the airport or a restaurant trying to keep my eyes open.Good luck....

We have the same problem arriving. We get in at 6:00 A.M. we booked the Ramada for the night before with a real late check in, yea 6-7 A.M. the next day. They will pick us up and the airport and check us out at noon and take us to the pier. We can nap,take a shower or hang at the pool until it is time to cruise. Beats hanging around the airport or a restaurant trying to keep my eyes open.Good luck....

THIS is a fantastic idea. The only thing I'd do differently is sleep and then get a late check out of 1pm and be one of the last people to board the ship.

Redeyes are brutal. The worst.

I wouldn't bother leaving the airport. find a place to eat which could take up

an hour or two. then go to the port. Why hurry to take a tour and make sure you get back. Just people watching passes by quickly. You can be on the ship

around 10:30 and eat lunch by noon for free. I always think it is funny people will ask is this free to eat here or do we pay. Not do we pay extra or is it

included with the price we paid in advance. Going early on the ship to me is like a whole extra day to explore the ship. Have fun.

I wouldn't bother leaving the airport. find a place to eat which could take up

an hour or two. then go to the port. Why hurry to take a tour and make sure you get back. Just people watching passes by quickly. You can be on the ship

around 10:30 and eat lunch by noon for free. I always think it is funny people will ask is this free to eat here or do we pay. Not do we pay extra or is it

included with the price we paid in advance. Going early on the ship to me is like a whole extra day to explore the ship. Have fun.

I think you might be right, I don't want to spend any extra money on a hotel if I'm only going to be there a few hours. What do you suggest doing the day I leave? I think my flight is at 8:30 pm, what the latest you can leave the ship?

Archived