24 Hours in Nice

casey7887

We could give you enough ideas for a few weeks, but 24 hours is actually very difficult. The answer would depend on your personal wants. My suggestion is to spend a little time reading (on line and perhaps in a library) about all the options available for somebody in Nice. Keep in mind that not only do you have the city of Nice (which is a fabulous place with quite a few of its own options) but you are within daytrip range of numerous other options. But, I will give you a few things that we enjoy. Depending on the day of the week, you might want to head over the Nice's old town area in the morning and go to the outdoor market which is at the Cours Seleya. Depending on the day of the week this can be the famous flower market or antique market. But they also have some very interesting stands which feature local products, food, etc. It's fun and its in our favorite part of Nice. After the market you might want to simply walk around the old town area (there are plenty of interesting shops, boutiques and cafes). If you are museum goers, Nice has a few nice mueums. You might also want to consider going out of town (you can use public transit). Keep in mind that any regional bus (Ligne d'Azur) only costs 1 Euro so using buses is really economical. You can certainly go to places like Eze Village, Monte Carlo, St Paul de Vence (our favorite), Antibes, and quite a few other places. But with only a day you will need to make tough choices and limit your itinerary so you have some time to smell the roses. I would be remiss if I did not mention Sundays. If your one day happens to be on a Sunday you need to make choices specific for that day since many things are closed.

Hank

Can anyone tell me some "must do or see" in Nice. We fly home the day after arriving in Nice, so won't have a lot of time. Also, would like recommendations for hotels.

Thanks!

I won't suggest that you stay at the Hotel Negesco (prices start at $420 and it is a luxury 5-Star hotel). But it's worth a visit. It is a former palace and looks like a museum and the lobby is incredible. We were denied entrance in 2010 but were able to get in last week. Long story. Sometimes the doormen act more like bouncers.

My suggestions would be spending some time at the Cours Saleya and I would recommend the Chagall Museum. But there are other museums. A nice walk along the Promenades is great too. As Hank said, it all depends on what you like to do and see. Some people would be happy never to step foot in a church or museum.

Your mention of the Negresco got our attention and brought back some memories. DW and I love to dine at very good restaurants, and one of the best meals we have ever had (and this is after forty years of international travel) was at the Chanteclar Restaurant which is the main dining venue in the Negresco. This was many years ago and the restaurant had a brilliant young chef named Dominique LeStanc who had brought the restaurant its 2 nd Michelin Star. The irony is that once LeStanc got that 2nd star and had solidified his reputaion as one of the top chefs in France, he quit. LeStanc then moved over to old town Nice where he bought a tiny restaurant (where he cooks to this day) which features much simplier regional cusine. The chef did not want to spend his life in the high pressure (and very long hours) world of big restaurants and was content to have his own small place. The restaurant is called La Merenda and trying to dine in the place is a challenge. The last time we looked they did not even have a telephone and the place only seats about 26 diners.

Hank

We were with the kids and went to a restaurant at the end of Cours Saleya and sat outside. I tried the Succa and we share some other things. I ordered what I thought was a beer called Panache. Said to my family, "this is a weird tasting french beer". I had my iPhone and googled it. Turns out that it was part lemonade and part beer. :D It wasn't too bad. We HAD to try to get into the Negresco after that doorman refused us entrance last year. I heard they do that every now and again. I'll post some photos tonight.

• Administrators
I am aware of that, John. My answer was in response to someone who posted that, medium or medium rare burgers don't happen in the US.

I agree..When I go out for a burger (at a restaurant, not a fast food place) I get it cooked to order and I always get it medium rare.

:confused:

It's never been an issue anywhere I go.

Every menu will have the little disclaimer at the bottom about 'undercooked beef'...but they do serve it .

I want to add that I try not to eat burgers on cruise ships and I wouldn't want a burger on a ship to be medium rare by any means...why?? Because I don't trust the beef enough to risk it.

Hi, i live in nice.

you must visit these two place:

old nice -> http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio..._Provence.html

- wonder around all the small street and have lunch in some of the real nicoise restaurants, try the real nicoise salad in Old Nice http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ni%C3%A7oise_salad

castle hill -> http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio..._Provence.html

Many people miss this place,the elevator is now free is you do not fancy walking up the hill. Google street view of the elevator linked here.

this is a good tour in nice city (covering a lot of nice):

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio..._Provence.html

sorry cannot recommend a hotel as never stayed in one in Nice.

also there are two museums that are a must:

Musee National Message Biblique Marc Chagall link here

Musee Matisse link here

For a "cheap" (not really but less than some and well run) hotel in Nice I like the Gounod it is a sister to the more expensive Splendid but they share some amenities, you can charge your meals at the Splendid. Neither is directly on the Promenade which in addition to the Negresco has many other fine hotels.

My daughter stayed at the Mercure Marche aux Fleurs in the old town and really liked it.

Archived