Passport/BC never asked question..important need answer

helicopter

as of April 2011 for someone to get a passport the BC must have father/mother name on it. My friend is traveling closed loop and husbands BC (out of PA) does not have father/mother on it (it is certified). She has sent in for BC that will have names on it but they are changing computers over and could take couple of months. She called the cruise line to see if, in case, BC does come back in time to get passport can she use BC for closed loop that is certified but does not have father/mother name on it...can't get a straight answer. She was told when sending in for new BC to be sure and state it is for passport purposes, so father/mother name will appear on BC.

Anyone able to help with answer:confused:

In Pennsylvania, you can get a copy of your Birth Certificate within a couple of hours. You need to go to the proper state office in person to get it. If you get there after a certain time in the day, it will be available to you the next day. The only way it takes several weeks is if you send for it via mail--and I do think that it's something like six weeks or longer. I see you are from Texas, but maybe someone in the guy's family can go get it for him. I know that a family member can get a copy.

as of April 2011 for someone to get a passport the BC must have father/mother name on it. My friend is traveling closed loop and husbands BC (out of PA) does not have father/mother on it (it is certified). She has sent in for BC that will have names on it but they are changing computers over and could take couple of months. She called the cruise line to see if, in case, BC does come back in time to get passport can she use BC for closed loop that is certified but does not have father/mother name on it...can't get a straight answer. She was told when sending in for new BC to be sure and state it is for passport purposes, so father/mother name will appear on BC.

Anyone able to help with answer:confused:

For closed looped cruises leaving from a United states port and returning to the same a BC is fine and it doesn't have to have the parents name. I did some research before my recent cruise because I kept hearing people say the same thing about April 2011. The BC with the name is only required to get a passport is it not required to get onto the cruise ship. A regular BC is fine. Mine and my husbands do not have our parents names and we just cruised.

The confusion arises because the State Department recently changed its documentation requirements for obtaining a passport and one of the changes is that parents' names must be listed. This has nothing to do with what CBP requires for traveling on a closed loop cruise.

Archived