Are the Pools/Hot Tubs Hard on Bathing Suits?

hershey4

Well, we are very excited and starting to pack. My teens are trying to figure out which/how many bathing suits to pack. I thought I had read that you have to be careful about wearing a new suit in the pools/hot tubs on the ships because they would destroy (badly fade) your bathing suits. Should I tell them to save their favorite suits for the beaches of Bermuda and to wear the suits they don't care as much about onboard? We will be on the Star.

Rinse promptly in the sink or while you shower, just like you would at home. We went to the Epic Spa Pool and hot tub every day, plus snorkelled in ports...never had an issue. Still wearing the same suits since 2010 after 2 cruises and a trip to Florida...

Our hot tub at home will fade a bathing suit but not the first time you go in it. It usually takes several months of frequent wear. The hot tubs on the ships might have stronger chemicals but I don't think it will ruin their suits on one cruise. As the previous poster said it is always a good idea to rinse your suit out anyway.

Rinse promptly in the sink or while you shower, just like you would at home.

I totally agree with this. I come back from the pool, hop in the shower and then remove my suit. Solves 2 problems: faded suit and sticky hard to remove wet suit. Since I've started this practice, I don't go through as many swim suits until they stretch out of shape but not through fading or rotting.

Owning a chlorinated pool for most of my life, I've found the hardest thing on swim suits is chlorine and then hanging in the sun to dry without washing them out.

Archived