Canadian currency

amcjeep4life

Hello all! I am leaving for a cruise to Canada in about a week. This will be my first cruise North. I know when we go to the Caribbean, the people in the area are more than happy to have USD, but I'm not sure how our neighbors to the North feel about it. Any advice my fellow CCers can offer will be greatly appreciated!

Hello all! I am leaving for a cruise to Canada in about a week. This will be my first cruise North. I know when we go to the Caribbean, the people in the area are more than happy to have USD, but I'm not sure how our neighbors to the North feel about it. Any advice my fellow CCers can offer will be greatly appreciated!

Bring it over - we definitely accept all US funny money here! :D:D

Most will be happy to take it. But they're not legally obligated to and may reject it or any foreign currency. I saw a situation unfold where attitudes conspired to result in the latter and substantial inconvenience ensued. Asking first helps.

Thanks everyone! I knew the exchange rate was pretty much on an even keel, so I wasn't too worried about that. Just didn't want to be disrespectful, since I know if You crazy Canadians came here with your monopoly money, no one would take it!

The most economical sollution would be to exchange your money at the bank. I'm Canadian in a boarder city and always bring $US to shop in the states. That way you are not at the mercy of the stores' exchange rate.

I hope you enjoy your trip

Thanks everyone! I knew the exchange rate was pretty much on an even keel, so I wasn't too worried about that. Just didn't want to be disrespectful, since I know if You crazy Canadians came here with your monopoly money, no one would take it!

LOL I've had stores pick through the handful of change I've given them and looked at me in disgust for accidentally using a Canadian dime or quarter. Cracks me up.

I like that our money is colorful. Makes it easier to tell the denominations.

You may have problems in smaller stores/independent places, but then again you may not!

Sweet curves...nice name;)

Your correct, there are some smaller stores here in Montreal that actually post U.S. dollars not accepted, so could be other places as well. But maybe not in places were they know that cruise ships dock.

Tried to take a cab a few years ago from J.F.K airport to the hotel.

Asked the driver if he accepted canadian money, still had some i hadn't exchanged...he just laughed at me:)

Do all the shop keepers a favour, get Canuck Bucks....er Canadian Dollars...you'll love our money it is colorful and you learn a little about Canada....love the story on the $5 bill...can't say much about the $50 or $100 cuz I rarely get to see those bills.....

Oooh, and you'll love the toonies and loonies *BG*...aka $1 (Loonie) and $2 (Toonie)....don't be worried if the coins have different images on them, that is normal...Quarters are the same as there have been more changes to them and multiple/or single coin changes....

The Canadian dollar is currently at $0.98 to $1US..so really, consider it at par...

Maybe they'll get some of our new 1812 Toonies :D

are there any out there? havent seen one yet and my dd works at Timmies!!

I feel like such a loser sometimes, :rolleyes: having to look so closely at the U.S. money.... colourd money is sooooo much easier lol :p

Our Canadian money is definitely colourful--(spelt correctly, as John Heald would say)--which, in MHO makes it way easier to determine which denomination you are using to pay with. ;)

The U.S. dollar is currently almost at par with our Canadian dollar. We go down to the states a few times a year. A few years ago when our dollar had reached almost par with yours, the storekeepers in Montana were still only giving us 12.00 U.S. to one of our 20.00 Canadian bills. That sucked big time!! Today, I'm hopeful that you will be able to exchange U.S. currency with Canadian at very close to par. Have a fantastic cruise!! :)

Canadians unite!

And yes definitely get some Canadian. The loonies and twonies are great souvenirs (especially if you haven't ever been to my lovely country).

Enjoy your trip! And say hi to my family on the east coast for me. I haven't seen them since I was 8 years old.

Yes, you can definitely use US money in Canadian stores....however, things to remember: 1) Right now, the US and Canadian dollars are almost on par. 2) Stores are not going to give you the bank exchange rate. They may even give you a pretty lousy exchange rate.

We take a land vacation to Canada every year, and my advise would be to use your credit/debit card there if you don't want to get Canadian dollars ahead of time.

They will take it at any store, but just remember you will get Canadian back for change.

No they won't....like sweet curves and ryancoke mentioned, some of the smaller stores won't take it and are not obligated to.

And if some of the privately own stores do, they will get there change in canadian and at par.

They couldn't be bothered with the excahnge rate, especially at a 2 or 3 cent difference.

The loonies and twonies are great souvenirs (especially if you haven't ever been to my lovely country).

I just got back last weekend from Toronto, and I kept a few loonies and Toonies. Really nice. I have a question... How is it that all, and I mean all, of the Canadian Bills I was given looked new? This was not just the bank, but every store I purchased from also. There were no wrinkles or folds in any of it. Was that just coincidental? The money here many times looks so dirty and wrinkled. That is what I marveled about with the money there.

Canadian money is hardy and built to last -- just like Canadians :)

(I agree, I rarely encounter crumpled faded limp bills here, unlike I the US).

As an aside , US money looks so alike that I once tried buying a soda with a $100 thinking it was a $1.00

Luckily the cashier was honest and pointed that out to me!

I just got back last weekend from Toronto, and I kept a few loonies and Toonies. Really nice. I have a question... How is it that all, and I mean all, of the Canadian Bills I was given looked new? This was not just the bank, but every store I purchased from also. There were no wrinkles or folds in any of it. Was that just coincidental? The money here many times looks so dirty and wrinkled. That is what I marveled about with the money there.

You should take a look at our new 50 $ or 100 $ bill made of polymer plastic.:)

Archived