Canadian currency

amcjeep4life

Thanks everyone! I knew the exchange rate was pretty much on an even keel, so I wasn't too worried about that. Just didn't want to be disrespectful, since I know if You crazy Canadians came here with your monopoly money, no one would take it!

This made me burst out laughing! I guess our money is quite colourful eh?

No they won't....like sweet curves and ryancoke mentioned, some of the smaller stores won't take it and are not obligated to.

And if some of the privately own stores do, they will get there change in canadian and at par.

They couldn't be bothered with the excahnge rate, especially at a 2 or 3 cent difference.

I live outside of Windsor right across the river from Detroit. The stores here ALWAYS accept U.S. currency. The stores love it especially when the exchange rate is in their favour. It is actually is quite funny we cant even use change (quarters dimes and nickels) in the states, but you look at our change drawers and there is always a mixture of currency.

Hello all! I am leaving for a cruise to Canada in about a week. This will be my first cruise North. I know when we go to the Caribbean, the people in the area are more than happy to have USD, but I'm not sure how our neighbors to the North feel about it. Any advice my fellow CCers can offer will be greatly appreciated!

We'll gladly take your money.

I live outside of Windsor right across the river from Detroit. The stores here ALWAYS accept U.S. currency. The stores love it especially when the exchange rate is in their favour. It is actually is quite funny we cant even use change (quarters dimes and nickels) in the states, but you look at our change drawers and there is always a mixture of currency.

Your practicaly american!:)

I believe you, and i'm sure that any canadian city that carnival docks at will accept american currency, and i understand, that is what the op was asking.

I'm talking about in a more wide spread way....if you go downtown here in Montreal every store will take it. But i have seen in the city some small stores like we call them depanneurs, i guess in english it would be a convenient store? Where they actually have signs saying they don't accept it. Yet i have also recieved some american coins from these same stores who say they don't accept it:rolleyes:

By the way.....Leafs ro Wings?

Your practicaly american!:)

I believe you, and i'm sure that any canadian city that carnival docks at will accept american currency, and i understand, that is what the op was asking.

I'm talking about in a more wide spread way....if you go downtown here in Montreal every store will take it. But i have seen in the city some small stores like we call them depanneurs, i guess in english it would be a convenient store? Where they actually have signs saying they don't accept it. Yet i have also recieved some american coins from these same stores who say they don't accept it:rolleyes:

By the way.....Leafs ro Wings?

Definitly the Wings!!! a friend of ours was just up north they rented a river boat and Guy Lefleur was docked next to them, they said him and his wife were two of the nicest people they would ever meet!!

american money looks like crap because so many countries use it as their currency. we pay to have it made and they use it so why make something expensive to print. yes we do get benefits from countries using our currency so its a 2 way street. 3rd world countries often print very colorful money hoping tourists save it and take it out of circulation but i am not calling canada a 3rd world country. its already been said americans flat out refuse to take canadian money unless it is a border town. too bad really. maybe its part of our why don't you speak english mentality.

We live 30 miles from the Canain border and most shops on both sides take Canadian money/American money at par ..... even Steven. It is so close now in exchange that if you were to change your American money into Canadian, it would probably cost more in service fees at the bank then you would make on the exchange. The only time when it isn't at par is when one or the other currency is 10 cents or more difference and even then, sometimes it is still at par in most of the stores.

1812 Toonies--I have had one in my change purse for almost two weeks now!!!!

Canadian money is very colorful and interesting to look at. Americans think of it as funny money, but we can count how much we have just by looking at the color *BG*....

Do all the shop keepers a favour, get Canuck Bucks....er Canadian Dollars...you'll love our money it is colorful and you learn a little about Canada....love the story on the $5 bill...can't say much about the $50 or $100 cuz I rarely get to see those bills........

I can't figure out what the theme on the back of the $100 is but the current $50 has the best story although it won't appear on the new bill. It's about the 5 women in the 'Person's Case'. Back in '29 women had to be declared 'persons' in order to be eligible for the senate. Even the Supreme Court disagreed so it went to the Privy Council and they were declared persons. Quite a radical concept at the time.

1812 Toonies--I have had one in my change purse for almost two weeks now!!!!

Canadian money is very colorful and interesting to look at. Americans think of it as funny money, but we can count how much we have just by looking at the color *BG*....

So does that mean, if you buy a 6 pack- you give the cashier 2 blues and a green, you get your 6 pack and a yellow back?

I will withdraw about $50 Canadian from a Bank ATM w/ my debit card for places I need to use cash. This will give you about the best exchange rate. For larger purchases and even small purchases in places I want to hold onto my cash, I use my Capital One credit card. Capital One doesn't charge a currency exchange fee on transactions.

I don't blame the small business owner for charging to take American dollars. They have to pay the bank a fee to change our money to Canadian money for their deposits.

Tried to take a cab a few years ago from J.F.K airport to the hotel.

Asked the driver if he accepted canadian money, still had some i hadn't exchanged...he just laughed at me:)

We are from North of Detroit area of Michigan. A few years go I accidentally gave a clerk in a store in California a Canadian penny, she looked at the coins and just said she couldn't take it. Around Mich we're used to seeing Canadian coins, she apparently didn't know what the coin was.? Never know ?.

Archived