New York City post-cruise in June

ahoys

Jane!

Thank you soooo much! DH will be thrilled!

We've been to Molyvos and loved it. I've read about Balthazar and Pastis, so they're definitely on the list. Le Madeleine may be a go solely because of the name (madelinerose), our dog's name is Maddie, Madeline on her papers - lol!

Yes, it's time for a new Zagat's guide, definitely.

There's so many restaurants we'd like to try that we'd have to stay there for a month and get a second mortgage to enjoy all of them. ;)

Again, I cannot thank you enough. This is just great, especially since there are so many NY restaurants that come and go so quickly. There's nothing quite like getting info first-hand from someone who knows.

Well, all I can offer in return is...If you're ever in Baltimore.....;)

MadelineRose,

You're welcome. Glad to know you've already been to Molyvos and that Balthazar & Pastis are already on your list. Well, you definitely have to have at least a drink at Le Madeleine for the pup! :)

I forgot to mention: You said you have some credit$ from the Restaurant Group. I THINK that Brasserie 8 1/2 might be a part of that group. So if it is, I'd recommend using the credits there instead of the Sea Grill which I think is too touristy anyway. (though nice in the winter to watch the ice skaters).

Enjoy!

Jane

I think we decided to book one night at Radio City Apartments. We will be there on a Tuesday and plan to see Wicked at 7pm that night.

Any ideas for Italian Dinner with large portions. My hubby is very picky about getting enough food. LOL

Go to Becco in the theatre district. They offer an all you can eat pasta dinner before the theatre. Food is good and wine prices are also very reasonable. Resy's area must, it's a popular place.

Have a look at http://www.becconyc.com

Mangia!

Jane

Jane...Yes, a drink for the pup. :)

Our timeshare is on W. 56th, so Brasserie 8 1/2 is a must do. Yes, it's on the list. We won't be there for Sunday brunch, however. I know exactly where it is.

Thanks again!

MadelineRose,

You're welcome. Glad to know you've already been to Molyvos and that Balthazar & Pastis are already on your list. Well, you definitely have to have at least a drink at Le Madeleine for the pup! :)

I forgot to mention: You said you have some credit$ from the Restaurant Group. I THINK that Brasserie 8 1/2 might be a part of that group. So if it is, I'd recommend using the credits there instead of the Sea Grill which I think is too touristy anyway. (though nice in the winter to watch the ice skaters).

Enjoy!

Jane

Hi Jane: a friend recommended Carmines. Have you been there? I found it on the web, but would like your comment.

Thanks, Grace

Hi Grace,

Yes, I have been to Carmines when I was invited with a group. It's not really my kind of place. However, if I was treating a group of 8 or more people, it's great. The portions are huge and meant to be shared family style, hence it's not great for one couple dining alone. It's really best if you have at least 6 people dining there.

The food is good, it's not fantastic and it's definitely a quantity over quality.

Here's a quote from the Zagat Guide:

Garlic city, family style Pig-out palace where the bucket sized portions are so bountiful that a suitcase for the leftovers. Ear-splitting cacophony so bring someone you'd rather not listen to.

They give it a 20 food rating (out of 30), and that's a good rating.

Jane

Jane: many thanks for your advice. I think we may pass on Carmines, as truthfully, all that food does not appeal to us either.

Another question for you: we will be flying into JFK. On another post I read about difficulty in getting into Manhattan. (I think I read right). What would be the best way to get from JFK? Are there any shuttle services?

You are a tremendous help! I hope you know that!!!!

Grace

Jane: many thanks for your advice. I think we may pass on Carmines, as truthfully, all that food does not appeal to us either.

Another question for you: we will be flying into JFK. On another post I read about difficulty in getting into Manhattan. (I think I read right). What would be the best way to get from JFK? Are there any shuttle services?

You are a tremendous help! I hope you know that!!!!

Grace

Grace,

Thanks for the compliment. I love restaurants and I also hate the idea of a visitor coming here and going into a touristy joint with bad food. Drives me nuts!

So are you looking for a restaurant in the theatre district (being that you were looking at Carmines)? For a funky french bistro, eat at CHEZ JOSEPHINE. This place is an ode to the famous Joesphine Baker and is owned by one of her sons. He's a sweet man and a bit nutty and the place is kinda kitschy, but the food is good. Not 5 star.......but neither are the prices. Another good choice in the theatre district are FIREBIRD (russian), so pretty you'll feel like you're inside a faberge egg.

You can look up all the addresses/phone numbers in Zagat and read the reviews to see what you think will please you.

Yes, there are shuttle buses that come into Manhattan from JFK. There's probably a desk w/ info at the luggage pick-up. To be honest, I just get into a taxi and am too lazy to deal with the buses. If you want to know beforehand, you can probably do a websearch using JFK airport or NYC transportation as key words. Should you decide to take a taxi, DO NOT go with any of the drivers standing around and asking you if you want a taxi. These are private cars and they're not supposed to be doing this. Some of them won't rip you off and some will, so just avoid them. Taxi drivers are not allowed to leave their vehicles to solicit business.

Jane

I think we decided to book one night at Radio City Apartments. We will be there on a Tuesday and plan to see Wicked at 7pm that night.

Any ideas for Italian Dinner with large portions. My hubby is very picky about getting enough food. LOL

Kootz,

Another place for large portions, though not italian, is one of the brazillian chiarscurro's (spelling?). The most popular one is VIA BRASIL. AYCE meat cooked on skewers as well as other dishes.

Jane

Thanks Jane!

Jane - Thanks for the recommendation of Becco’s. Our hotel is around 130ish W. 46th St., so not to far to walk from Hotel then on to Theater (Shubert). I was researching other restaurants before show and came up with (tell me what you think); Ruby Foos Time Square; Trattoria Dopo Teatro; Café Un Deux Trois. Maybe one after the show for drinks. Thanks so much for all your good info.

Jane Question - You also provide a lot of help on the fashion board, which I read often, but don’t have anything to share, but I’m learning; again thanks. I do have a fashion question for you regarding this trip, but it doesn’t have anything to do with cruising, so a little afraid to post here. Do you have e-mail posted with this site?

Thanks

Kim

Thanks Jane!

Jane - Thanks for the recommendation of Becco’s. Our hotel is around 130ish W. 46th St., so not to far to walk from Hotel then on to Theater (Shubert). I was researching other restaurants before show and came up with (tell me what you think); Ruby Foos Time Square; Trattoria Dopo Teatro; Café Un Deux Trois. Maybe one after the show for drinks. Thanks so much for all your good info.

Jane Question - You also provide a lot of help on the fashion board, which I read often, but don’t have anything to share, but I’m learning; again thanks. I do have a fashion question for you regarding this trip, but it doesn’t have anything to do with cruising, so a little afraid to post here. Do you have e-mail posted with this site?

Thanks

Kim

Kim,

It's really hard for me to recommend a restaurant when I don't know what you're looking for. If you see my notes to others, they asked for specific things.

My recommendation really depends on what you're looking for in terms of cuisine, ambience and price. The only thing I know is that you want something in the theatre district, but that's not enough info.

Since your "handle" is Silver Anniv, I'll assume you're in your 70's and so Ruby Foo's might be too "young" for you. It's very popular w/ tourists and big groups, especially those w/ young children.

I like Trattoria Dopo Teatro but I haven't been there in a few years and Zagat only gives it a 16 food rating, out of 30. I tend to not recommend places that don't have at least a 20 food rating, unless it's for another reason.

I don't recommend Cafe Un, Deux Trois. They used to be good but have gone way down hill in the past few years. I'd skip that place.

I like Firebird alot. Russian cuiseine. It's beautiful and the food is good. It's expensive but they offer a pre theatre dinner that's very reasonable.

dbBistro Moderne (french) would be a wonderful dining experience before the theatre. It's not cheap, but it's not as pricey as it's top end restaurant, Daniel.

If you like indian, Utsav is not far from your hotel and is good.

Also look at the list I gave Medelin Rose. There were some theatre district places listed there too.

You need to get a Zagat when coming to NY and save yourself from some bad meals. Carry it around with you. And you can look up all the places I've recommended.

If you want to post an email adress, I'd be happy to email you. Or you can feel free to post a clothing question on this board or the fashion board. Just note in the header that it's OT (off topic). No one will throw you overboard! :)

Jane

Kootz,

Another place for large portions, though not italian, is one of the brazillian chiarscurro's (spelling?). The most popular one is VIA BRASIL. AYCE meat cooked on skewers as well as other dishes.

Jane

Thanks for the info on Via Brasil. I will look into that. We don't need tons of food but my hubby does like large portions. We have been to Becco's and loved that for lunch but never went for dinner. I am a huge lover of Italian food as we have slim pickings for Italian at home...

Kootz,

One of my favorite italian restaurants is a simple place called NOTARO on 2nd Ave 34th-35th Streets.

It's under the radar because it's usually locals from the neighborhood only.

But we go there regularly. It's Tuscan style, moderately priced and has a pleasant decor and warm & friendly service. I find the portions large though it's not AYCE like Via Brasil or Becco.

If you're here during the summer and it's warm enough to eat outdoors, one of our favorites is VITTORIO CUCINA on Bleeker Street in the village. (though the indoor space is nice too) Large portions of italian fare. Their house specialty is a pasta in Peccorino cheese. They wheel over a huge peccorino cheese and then take the hot fettuccini right from the pot and roll it around in the peccorino. The cheese melts and coats the pasta. I've never seen it done anywhere else like that. It's an appetizer, but I don't know how anyone can eat after that! So it should satisfy your husband. :)

Jane

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your help and suggestions, I’ll pick up a Zagat today. Yes we’re looking to mainly stay in the Theatre district, and open to any new experience. Firebird might be a good choice, don’t have a Russian restaurant in Columbus that I know of, but dbBistro Moderne sound great too, we love french food. We like to try new places and willing to pay for good food. The Zagat will be great to have for the trip though.

My “handle” is Silver Anniv as we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary last year with a cruise and that’s when I found this board. So really I’m only 46; married young, and still having fun.

OK fashion question: Thinking of show night; posting a picture of two dresses I like, with a silk shawl. Or, I have a pair of fly away pants; black; but the panel is angled more like a skirt over the pant, and a beaded top, will that be *too* much. (was a cruise outfit, there! I fit cruise in there) just thinking I could save money if the pants are ok, but if not, that ok also, I don’t want to be out of fashion in NY City, or really stand out in the crowd as someone with no fashion sense. As you can tell I've not been to a NY City Broadway show before, and really looking forward to it.

Thanks for all your help and knowledge!

Kim

p.s. I hope I’ve attached the pictures ok

Kootz,

One of my favorite italian restaurants is a simple place called NOTARO on 2nd Ave 34th-35th Streets.

It's under the radar because it's usually locals from the neighborhood only.

But we go there regularly. It's Tuscan style, moderately priced and has a pleasant decor and warm & friendly service. I find the portions large though it's not AYCE like Via Brasil or Becco.

If you're here during the summer and it's warm enough to eat outdoors, one of our favorites is VITTORIO CUCINA on Bleeker Street in the village. (though the indoor space is nice too) Large portions of italian fare. Their house specialty is a pasta in Peccorino cheese. They wheel over a huge peccorino cheese and then take the hot fettuccini right from the pot and roll it around in the peccorino. The cheese melts and coats the pasta. I've never seen it done anywhere else like that. It's an appetizer, but I don't know how anyone can eat after that! So it should satisfy your husband. :)

Jane

you're making ME hungry :D

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your help and suggestions, I’ll pick up a Zagat today. Yes we’re looking to mainly stay in the Theatre district, and open to any new experience. Firebird might be a good choice, don’t have a Russian restaurant in Columbus that I know of, but dbBistro Moderne sound great too, we love french food. We like to try new places and willing to pay for good food. The Zagat will be great to have for the trip though.

My “handle” is Silver Anniv as we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary last year with a cruise and that’s when I found this board. So really I’m only 46; married young, and still having fun.

OK fashion question: Thinking of show night; posting a picture of two dresses I like, with a silk shawl. Or, I have a pair of fly away pants; black; but the panel is angled more like a skirt over the pant, and a beaded top, will that be *too* much. (was a cruise outfit, there! I fit cruise in there) just thinking I could save money if the pants are ok, but if not, that ok also, I don’t want to be out of fashion in NY City, or really stand out in the crowd as someone with no fashion sense. As you can tell I've not been to a NY City Broadway show before, and really looking forward to it.

Thanks for all your help and knowledge!

Kim

p.s. I hope I’ve attached the pictures ok

Kim,

No problems viewing the attached dresses...both are very pretty. The black one would be more typical and the red one might be a bit too dressy. Summer tends to be a bit more casual than winter. HOWEVER, you will see all kinds of dress at the Broadway theatre - including slobs that come in sneakers and ugly jeans, so feel free to wear what makes you feel good! (we attend the ballet alot and the red dress would be more typical of going there - perhaps beacuse it's less touristy than broadway shows?) So, do not spend more money for an additional outift. Anything that you wear to dinner on your ship will be fine in NYC. A nice pants outfit is fine too. However, if you're buying the red one to bring on your cruise, then go ahead and wear it in NY too if you like.

For restaurants like FIREBIRD or dbMODERN, you'll see more dresses like the black one. But fly away pants are fine - though a beaded top might be a bit much for a summer night. (depends on how beaded it is)

I only gave you restaurant choices in the theatre district because that's what I thought you wanted. However, if you're looking for a special dinner that doesn't have to be near the theatres, then go back to my post to Madeline Rose. I'd recommend BOULEY, CHANTERELLE, or CAFE DES ARTISTES. If budget is tight, go w/ des artistes,the first two will be the priciest.

Oops, I thought Silver Anniv meant 50th, not 25th. Sorry for the goof! In that case, you might like Ruby Foo's for a very casual dinner. :)

Jane

I was just in NYC after my Voyager of the Seas cruise.

We stayed for 3 nights at The Belvedere Hotel on 48th btw 8th and 9th Avenue. We paid $187 a night. This was a very nice boutique hotel. I couldn't believe how quiet this hotel was. This would be my pick for a nice centrally located hotel.

Last year before and after our Constellation cruise we stayed at the NY Hilton and the Waldorf-Astoria (got on Priceline), but they were very noisy (city noise at night). I much prefer The Belvedere.

I have just come back from NYC and the Embassy downtown was great! We got it through Hotwire and as it is the only Suiteshotel downtown it is rather easy to spot! The metro station is a block to walk and very handy and the cruise terminal ist all that far away so the cab won't cost you your lifes savings. We had a wonderful view of the Hudson River and the skyline. The breakfast was really nice and I bet the Managers Cocktail Party wasn't bad either (we were too beat to go) What did I pay for it - granted I booked very early but I paid 168 USD including Taxes & Fees per night. Would we like to stay here again - YES!!

For anyone that will be in NYC the week of June 20 - July 1st, Good News....

It's the annual RESTAURANT WEEK

This is where many of the top restaurants in NYC offer bargain lunches and some offer dinners.

Prices are $20.05 for lunch and/or $35.00 for dinner.

Meals always consist of appetizer, main course and dessert. Beverage, tax and gratuity not included.

This is the best deal in town as you have the opportunity to dine at some of NY's top places for a fraction of the cost.

For a list of participants go to http://www.NYCvisit.org

Jane

We booked Shearton Manhattan. Just a block or so from Time Square. It was nice.

We also booked a limo to pick us up at the airport the morning we flew in and took us on a tour of the city.

Now don't let this name scare you, I was worried at first thought it might be just what the name of the Company was, but it was great. I searched the web and found Cheap Limos, he does a tour of New York that hits all the main sites, like NBC Studios, Rockfeller ctr, United Nations bldg, Empire state bldg, and Ground Zero, New York Stock Exchange, and by Soho, Little Italy, Trump Towers and many more places that he took us by and gave us plenty of time to take photos and look around.

In one day we got to see so many sites that we never could have done on our own.

Another option is there are Tour buses all along the street in Time Square for Tour as well.

And at night there are the rickashaws for tours as well, we book one in advance for a tour of Central Park about an hour before dusk and it was beauitful, we took the long tour of the park.

People had a hard time believing the we packed so much into 12 or 14 hours in New York, but we did, yes we were tired, but I wanted to see all I could cause I didn't know if I would ever have the chance to get back there someday. The only other thing that I would have like to have done was a Broadway Show.

Also in walking around Time Square go up and down some of the side street as well, we did and walk right in front of the Sullivan Theater-The Dave Letterman Show and many other places as well.

Oh and make sure you look for the Naked Cowbowy in Time Square.

We had a ball and I'm sure you all will as well, just try to take in all you can.

Hope this helps,

Sherry

Marcyjane,

I'm glad you had such a great time here. You certainly did see it all.

"Rickashaws"???

Uhhh.....we don't have rickshaws here, not even in Chinatown.

So do you mean one of the hansome cabs (horse and carriage) or one of pedi-cabs (carriage w/ driver peddling a bicycle)?

Jane

• 1 year later...

Aloha All,

My DH and I are flying into LaGuardia airport on Friday, Dec. 15 a day before our Christmas Cruise. We will also be staying in New York on Wed. Dec. 27. Both nights we are booked to stay at Hotel Edison. I have a few quick questions:

1) As we don't use taxis here, is there any advice? How much will it cost to get from La Guardia to Hotel Edison? How much from Hotel Edison to the Holland America pier? How much for the limo shuttles?? That sounds like fun! Especially the one with the New York tour.

2) My DH has never been to the East Coast, so we would like to see the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building. Any suggestions?

3) I know our hotel is on times square, but what is REALLY in walking distance?

4) We want to got to central park (and I want to do the horse and carriage thing) how much will that be?

5) We have bought tickets for Spamalot, has anyone heard about this show? Is it good?

6) What else should we do while we are in NY?

Archived