New York City post-cruise in June

ahoys

For ahoys,

I heard about a neat place called Radio City Apartments from a lady sitting next to me at the new musical Little Women when we visited NYC in March. She was travelling on business with AT&T and they are really reasonable, especially during the week and are right across the street from Radio City, which is a great location to walk to theatres, Rockefeller Center, 5th Avenue,etc. The easiest way to check it out is on their website www.radiocityapartments.com Each unit has a nice kitchenette,etc. Next time I visit NYC I will definitely try to stay there is there is availability

For ahoys again,

The Radio City Apatments are running a special from June 1 to July 31 and they are charging $129 per night for a studio and $165 for a 1 bedroom! The lady that told me about this hotel said it was immaculately clean and quiet! Hope they have a room for when you will be there. The location is terrific!

Fabulous, That is fabulous information about Radio City Apartments. It's even cheaper in August. What a location, and a refrigerator too. That is the best heads up I've had in quite a while. These boards are just FABULOUS!!! Thanks.

One of my favorite hotels in NYC is a botique property called The Library. I am a huge fan of these type of places and discovered it before Kimpton put a location in NYC (finally). Every night they have a free wine and cheese reception that is great to go to before going out for the evening. The also have continental breakfast on the terrace in the morning.

The are running a great summer special, $209 a night and that includes a bottle of sparkling wine in your room upon arrival, the cocktail reception, breakfast, and discounted parking. Definitely check it out! :o

www.libraryhotel.com

Classynfun1,

Wow! Thanks for this post. I've never heard of this hotel and it's so close to where I live that in one of the photo's I could see my apt building!!! Now I'll have to walk by it and stop in for a look. This is just the kind of place we prefer to stay in when we're traveling. (btw, if you go to London, try the Cranley for this kind of small, elegant hotel).

I looked at the website and saw all the other hotels owned by the same person and know them all. Suprised I didn't know this one. Well, I'll certainly recommend it to friends who are coming to NY for a visit.

Thanks!

Jane

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your detailed information. Have checked w/Radio City Apartments and they may not have space when we will be there, must check with some reservationist tomorrow. Found space at the Travel Inn on 42nd st., but would prefer place w/frig, since Travel Inn has no breakfast, coffee, etc. Thanks.

Stan

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your detailed information. Have checked w/Radio City Apartments and they may not have space when we will be there, must check with some reservationist tomorrow. Found space at the Travel Inn on 42nd st., but would prefer place w/frig, since Travel Inn has no breakfast, coffee, etc. Thanks.

Stan

Stan,

If you tell me WHERE on 42nd Street the Travel Inn is located, I can comment on the location.

The Dumont Plaza Hotel on East 34th Street, between Lexington & Park Ave's is a very popular hotel that has kitchenettes in all the rooms. Also in an excellent location. So have a look for that place and see if they have a room and it's the right price for you.

Jane

The Radio City Apartments have some good reviews on Tripadvisor. It is not by any means a "Deluxe" hotel, but may be just the place that would suit us for 2 nights pre cruise. The location is ideal. I checked and they do have space available in Oct. when we will be there. I downloaded their brochure. Pictures from guests are also helpful (on tripadvisor).

Grace

I have friends who love The Library. We'll be in NY next month and when I was booking a hotel, The Library had no vacancies. Too bad! Maybe next year. Kimpton has fabulous properties, don't they? Sometimes for a quick getaway, we'll stay at the Hotel Monaco in DC. Even our dog loves Kimpton! ;)

One of my favorite hotels in NYC is a botique property called The Library. I am a huge fan of these type of places and discovered it before Kimpton put a location in NYC (finally). Every night they have a free wine and cheese reception that is great to go to before going out for the evening. The also have continental breakfast on the terrace in the morning.

The are running a great summer special, $209 a night and that includes a bottle of sparkling wine in your room upon arrival, the cocktail reception, breakfast, and discounted parking. Definitely check it out! :o

www.libraryhotel.com

Hi Jane! It's so nice to see that you're very popular on this thread also!

We'll be in NY next month and I had spent days looking for a hotel this time. We are usually in NY in April, but June is it this year and rooms were very hard to come by.

We have a standing reservation at a time share for 2 nights every year, but we absolutely love your city, so we always extend. Last year we stayed at Le Parker Meridien and we really liked it there. I always use Trip Advisor also, so I even wrote a review. This year Le Parker's rates were through the roof!

Well, after what seems like 100 sites saying "no rooms available", we decided to use some Starwood points, combined with an Amex & AAA discount, and we're staying at the new Westin, in :rolleyes: Times Square (43rd & 8th). Since it's new, has some great views and those wonderful "Heavenly beds and baths", the location won't really matter to us.

We love the area around The Library and Bryant Park. Maybe we'll see you and say "hi" - lol! I'll plan on checking out Pampano also.

I'll let you know how the Westin was so you'll have a heads up on yet another hotel in NY. Have a great weekend!

Hi Jane! It's so nice to see that you're very popular on this thread also!

We'll be in NY next month and I had spent days looking for a hotel this time. We are usually in NY in April, but June is it this year and rooms were very hard to come by.

We have a standing reservation at a time share for 2 nights every year, but we absolutely love your city, so we always extend. Last year we stayed at Le Parker Meridien and we really liked it there. I always use Trip Advisor also, so I even wrote a review. This year Le Parker's rates were through the roof!

Well, after what seems like 100 sites saying "no rooms available", we decided to use some Starwood points, combined with an Amex & AAA discount, and we're staying at the new Westin, in :rolleyes: Times Square (43rd & 8th). Since it's new, has some great views and those wonderful "Heavenly beds and baths", the location won't really matter to us.

We love the area around The Library and Bryant Park. Maybe we'll see you and say "hi" - lol! I'll plan on checking out Pampano also.

I'll let you know how the Westin was so you'll have a heads up on yet another hotel in NY. Have a great weekend!

Hi Karen,

No, I usually don't post in this section much as pre & post cruise stays are more often in Florida than NYC. But I like to peruse the board and try to jump in and help anyone that's coming here. I love my city and want everyone to have the best possible experience here. Since I don't stay in the hotels here, I can only comment on location, perhaps the lobby and then advise people to look on trip advisor. I always post there for my hotel stays all around the world. I think it's an incrediblely useful tool. Then of course, I try to remember comments people make about certain hotels here in NY too. I know many people like the Parker Meridian, sorry they didn't have a room at a reasonable rate for you.

I wasn't aware that you could combine Starwood points, Amex points and a AAA discount. We have all three, so how does that work?

If you would like I'd be happy to put together some other restaurant suggestions if you'll tell me what you're looking for in terms of cuisine, ambiance, price, trendy/nontrendy, etc

Also, since you've been here before, knowing where you've been before and liked or disliked would help too.

I assume you have a Zagat guide?

Jane

Hey Jane...Well, let me tell you that your help is invaluable.

I went to the SPG.com site and got the room rate with the AAA discount. DH had info about Starwood hotel discounts from one of his Amex business cards, so he called Amex and somehow they combined all three.

Hmmmm....restaurants.....we have very eclectic tastes. For instance, we like Seppi's and Norma's (at Le Parker), we found a place by accident before a show once, the Hourglass Tavern on restaurant row that turned out to be wonderful - mismatched china plates and silverware, owners (a Greek couple)also serve, food was great and we sat right at a window at the fire escape, but the owners made you feel so at home, the fire escape just added to the ambience. We also like a place in upper 60s (west side) that has sidewalk tables and specialized in seafood, but the name escapes me. Oh, for lunch, Whole Foods is just fine for us. We have 2 near our house, but the one in the Time/Warner center just blows our much smaller ones' away! We have $400 in gift certificates from the restaurant Corp. that owns the Sea Grill in Rock Center (through Amex) that we'll be using this time. As a suggestion from a friend, we may try One If By Land in the village, if we get down there. I supposed I should make a reservation now, huh? Oh, and we LOVE the Redeye Grill. Last year we stopped in Rosie O'Grady's for something quick because DH was starving and that was ok. It's hard to remember some of the little places that you just pop into to grab some appetizers or get a cappucino or something.

So bottom line, we like a lot. No chain restaurants, can be trendy - but not with a 20-something clientele where everyone has a Blackberry - lol, we like to find places where the locals love to eat. In Baltimore, a nice restaurant will be $130 and up.

My Zagat guide is 2 years old, but I do go on the site very frequently.

Hope this helps. I'd love to hear your suggestions! Thanks!

Hi Karen,

No, I usually don't post in this section much as pre & post cruise stays are more often in Florida than NYC. But I like to peruse the board and try to jump in and help anyone that's coming here. I love my city and want everyone to have the best possible experience here. Since I don't stay in the hotels here, I can only comment on location, perhaps the lobby and then advise people to look on trip advisor. I always post there for my hotel stays all around the world. I think it's an incrediblely useful tool. Then of course, I try to remember comments people make about certain hotels here in NY too. I know many people like the Parker Meridian, sorry they didn't have a room at a reasonable rate for you.

I wasn't aware that you could combine Starwood points, Amex points and a AAA discount. We have all three, so how does that work?

If you would like I'd be happy to put together some other restaurant suggestions if you'll tell me what you're looking for in terms of cuisine, ambiance, price, trendy/nontrendy, etc

Also, since you've been here before, knowing where you've been before and liked or disliked would help too.

I assume you have a Zagat guide?

Jane

Karen,

I'm soooo aggravated. I spent quite a bit of time writing up suggestions for you and then accidently hit the delete key! Aarrgghh!!!

I'll rewrite in a few days. I'm just too annoyed at myself right now.

But I won't forget. Promise!

Jane

Jane,

You're not an idiot, just human. I've done the same more than once.

No rush, really! We're not leaving until June 14. After all, you're going out of your way to do this, so I am very grateful! No problem. ;)

Karen,

I'm soooo aggravated. I spent quite a bit of time writing up suggestions for you and then accidently hit the delete key! Aarrgghh!!!

I'll rewrite in a few days. I'm just too annoyed at myself right now.

But I won't forget. Promise!

Jane

We stayed at the Renaissance right in Times Square last year for two nights before our NCL Dawn cruise and really enjoyed the hotel and it's location. Their restaurant looks right down on Times Square. It was great! We could walk everywhere, and we did!

MAdelinrose/Karen,

Okay, I'll attempt this again and try to keep my fingers off the delete button!

Note that everything I'm suggesting is listed in the Zagat Guide, so I'm not listing addresses or phone numbers. I know you have Zagat online, but I highly recommend buying one to carry around with you.

You say a friend suggested One if by Land, Two if by Sea for a romantic/pricey dinner. Well, I do like that place, but I'll suggest something I like better.....BOULEY. Another incredible restaurant on the same level is CHANTERELLE - though Chanterelle is not dark & dim like the other two.

For upscale, chic casual dining, I love TABLA. It's continental w/ a fusion of indian flavors. If you like mexican/southwestern influence fusion, then Bobby Flay's MESA GRILL is fantastic. Both these places have great bars to have drinks and hang out in. TABLA has outdoor tables too for the bar/snack area. (not full dinner outdoors)

For upscale indian food, I recommend TAMARIND. If you love mexican, then the best in New York is ROSA MEXICANA. PAMPANO is also wonderful gourmet mexican and has an outdoor dining patio that's great if the weather cooperates.

My favorite french bistro's are BALTHAZAR in Soho and PASTIS in the meat packing district (same owner). Both have lively bar scenes with the latter getting frenzied w/ people. DANAL is a charming and moderately priced and has a nice backyard for dining outdoors. Near your hotel is LE MADELEINE - not stellar, but if you don't feel like travelling, it's very good.

Also not too far from your hotel is TRATTORIA DELL'ARTE with the world's best anti-pasto bar. Another place not too far from your hotel is MOLYVOS for incredible greek food.

Other good places in the meat packing district are SPICE MARKET (you'll never get a resy, so maybe have a drink at the bar) and MARKT for casual belgium/french bistro. For a drink in the area, go up to the rooftop bar at the Ganesvoort Hotel. It's outrageously expensive, but fun to go to once. VENTO is a good italian place w/ outdoor seating.

If you're here on a Sunday and want a great brunch, try BRASSERIE 8 1/2. I also like it for drinks - pretty lounge, nice and calm. I like this place alot for dinner, but if you're only here a few nights, it might not be "enough" for you.

For seafood, my two favorites are AQUAGRILL and BLUE WATER GRILL. Both are faves of the local crowd.

TAO is a very trendy hot spot w/ surprisingly excellent multi-asian food.

If you like to wander NY's offbeat neighborhoods and think you'll be down in the lower east side/east village, then I like 26 SEATS, for a charming little cheap french place w/ excellent food. For Tapas w/ an italian twist - it works - try PERBACCO (no credit cards) or for real tapas try LA PAELLA (though small & crowded).If you're in the area and want dessert go to VENIERO'S. At night, there's always a line for a table, but it moves quickly.

In Tribeca.......great Tapas at AZAFRAN. CAPSOUTO FRERES is a wonderul, romantic and charming french place.

That's it. If there is any special cuisine you'd like or any particular neighborhood you'd like a recommendation for, just let me know. Or if you have looked up some of these places and have questions, ask.

Bon Appetit!

Jane

Hi Jane:) You sure you don't work for the NY Hotel and Restaurant Association?:D

I used to work for a restaurant many years ago and the owner was President of FL's Chapter!

Hi Jane:) You sure you don't work for the NY Hotel and Restaurant Association?:D

I used to work for a restaurant many years ago and the owner was President of FL's Chapter!

LOL!!! No, but I like to explore restaurants. I'm lucky I'm not 200 pounds!!!

Come to NY and I'll show you some of my favorites!

I've never worked in the restaurant biz. The fashion biz is stressful enough.:)

Jane

I think we decided to book one night at Radio City Apartments. We will be there on a Tuesday and plan to see Wicked at 7pm that night.

Any ideas for Italian Dinner with large portions. My hubby is very picky about getting enough food. LOL

Archived