Liquid Oxygen

CarolynB

Is it possible to just have the liquid oxygen delivered to the cabin and fill "travel tanks" for out of cabin use. Is the liquid oxygen containers able to be used from the tank with a continuous flow and pulse regulator ? Does anyone know how many liquid oxygen tanks can be delivered to the ship and how many tanks would it take for a 7 day cruise. DH is on 24/7 oxygen set at 3 and continuous flow while sleeping, but pulse while awake.

We are all new to this and would just like info before we try to book another cruise.

I have read that you need to take enough oxygen to last the duration of a cruise in case the electricity goes off. I have looked into renting a battery a/c d/c unit but can't see the need if you have to supply enough oxygen anyway.

Hi! I have used liquid O2 but never on a cruise ship. I have heard & read of others who have been able to use liquid O2 on cruises, but you have to contact the cruiseline you are planning to sail on BEFORE booking tickets to be sure it's OK. I personally LOVE liquid O2 because it is so light and portable. One reservoir (that is about the size & shape of R2D2 from Star Wars or a large trash can and about 50 pounds) should be more than enough to supply oxygen needs for a week. Your husband's current oxygen supplier where you live should be able to help you arrange for him to have oxygen for the cruise or point you to a company that can help with this. The cruise company may also have suggested oxygen suppliers they have worked with in the past and could recommend a company.

There are several brands of liquid oxygen manufacturers. Personally, I like the Helios Marathon system by Puritan Bennett. It can last quite a long time and may only need to be refilled once during the entire time the patient is out and about during the day. The liquid systems I have used only provide ONE portable container that you refill. If the patient is concerned about running out on an excursion, a supplemental compressed oxyen tank can also be obtained from the oxygen supply company.

Your husband's oxygen supply company should be able to provide additional information. If you have more questions, you can call C.O.P.D. Information Line, 866-316-COPD (2673). They should be able to help you and/or point you in the right direction.

Is it possible to just have the liquid oxygen delivered to the cabin and fill "travel tanks" for out of cabin use. Is the liquid oxygen containers able to be used from the tank with a continuous flow and pulse regulator ? Does anyone know how many liquid oxygen tanks can be delivered to the ship and how many tanks would it take for a 7 day cruise. DH is on 24/7 oxygen set at 3 and continuous flow while sleeping, but pulse while awake.

We are all new to this and would just like info before we try to book another cruise.

I have read that you need to take enough oxygen to last the duration of a cruise in case the electricity goes off. I have looked into renting a battery a/c d/c unit but can't see the need if you have to supply enough oxygen anyway.

Yes, you can have liquid oxygen delivered to your cabin. It will be one big tank that will be good for all 7 days. You can fill "travel tanks" for out of cabin use from the delivered tank.

Yes to continuous flow and pulse regulator.

liquid oxygen is the best, but does take up a lot of cabin space.

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/reserve-equipment/oxygen-rental/?mobileFormat=true

The place to start is with your cruise line and/or travel agent. Find out any rules, regs, restrictions on what equipment you can use for your cabin and on board ship. Then you can talk with your current O2 supplier & see what they can offer and any partnerships they have with O2 companies.

If you are flying to get to your destination port, you will also need O2 for the plane in the form of a portable O2 concentrator or tanks furnished by the airlines. You need to work that out with the airline BEFORE booking your ticket. They also have companies they prefer to work with. FAA approved portable oxygen concentrators MUST be accepted by airlines for in-flight use with a proper doctor's certificate.

Archived