Dog Sled and Musher's Camp

Cruise Passenger

We did the Juneau helicopter/dog sled excursion (privately) in 2009 and then rented a car in Skagway and drove to the Yukon. That would be my preference, but I am not sure about the Skagway sledding. In Juneau, we were choppered up to the glacier (amazing views) and spent about an hour with the dogs, including a ride around the perimeter of the entire camp.

Last year I was on the Disney Wonder cruise and there were two different offerings. The cost of the tour depends on the length of the tour and how long it takes to drive up to the musher's camp. I went with the one in Skagway and it was really nice. You drive up through Dyea and then they take you up higher on the mountain with this bulky truck. And on the way up as you get closer, you can hear the dogs barking and there's sooo many of them! At the end of the tour when we got back down to the base of the camp, you get to see the husky puppies which are so adorable. They also gave a talk about dog mushing as a sport and you get to see all their gear and equipment. :)

I forgot to mention the only con about this was the mud! Make sure you wear some durable shoes and clothing that you don't mind getting splashed on!

Archived