Art Auctions on Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas

I understand that Royal Caribbean changed their auctioneer about two years ago from Park West Gallery to Art Actually based out of Miami. Does anyone know from recent travel on R.C. whether the art auctions have continued particularly on the Freedom of the Seas? If so, who are the featured artists? Is there sports memorabilia as well? Any personal experience with these auctions?

My last two Royal cruises, I didn't even know the auction was taking place. It is much less promoted than before (IMHO). You used to see them set up hours early and heard the auctioneer come on and make announcements during the day. I didn't recall any of that on the Oasis in January.

Maybe they have decided that the revenue stream is too low and that their time is better spent on other activities.

We've done two- one on the Jewel and one on the Enchantment. As of yet, there's not much happening during the auctions- just a handful of stuff sold during the week.

They do have a couple of featured artists, but since it wasn't our kind of art, I can't recall the two artists. There is some memorabilia, and if you ask, they may be able to bring more out. The important thing is that if you are interested, talk to the art person on board when you get some free time. Could be worth while if you are looking for something.

As far as I can tell, they are still trying to figure out a decent niche- location, kind of art, auctioneers, etc. With the Park West stuff that happened, people are also a little gun shy, which is totally understandable.

(I'm sure some of the auction haters will post their opines as well- the printer, the quiet person, etc...)

RCCL went from Park West to Art Actually. On our last cruise on Oasis, I believe they moved once again to a wholly owned RCCL company.

You can say what you want about Park West, but they were actually a lot more fun and infomrmative than the replacements.

RCCL went from Park West to Art Actually. On our last cruise on Oasis, I believe they moved once again to a wholly owned RCCL company.

You can say what you want about Park West, but they were actually a lot more fun and infomrmative than the replacements.

Oh, so Art on Royal isn't from Art Actually? Ok- we knew it was Art on Royal, since we've called them about stuff we bought, and credits came from RCI.... interesting.

We have a good relationship with Park West, but our last workings with them was some time ago. Totally agree that they did a good job (when things were good). And that also kinda backs up my thinking that the current Art on Royal still needs some tweaking.

Oh, and apparently the Allure does NOT have Art on Royal, since it has the Britto Gallery in Central Park. Other than that, it's supposed to now be on all ships.

We have a good relationship with Park West, but our last workings with them was some time ago. Totally agree that they did a good job (when things were good). And that also kinda backs up my thinking that the current Art on Royal still needs some tweaking.

Totally agree. I actually enjoyed many of their seminars and actually learned something! We also got some framed take-offs at incredible prices.

I always chuckle at the rants and misinformation that comes from some folks. Oh well, they don't like art auctions... I don't like karaoke! To each his own!

I work for Art On Royal.

The Freedom and Allure with both be getting the art program in Sept/Nov time frame.

It is difficult to roll out a new program fleetwide and still maintain high quality. Especially in a field where there are so few people who possess the skills needed to conduct a fun, informative and successful auction.

As someone who has worked in this industry for over a decade, I can tell you that personally, I'm really excited to be involved with a company who is working so hard to do things the right way. As with any endeavor, there are bumps in the road, but I'm pretty excited so far!

Hope to see you guys in the future.

Archived