Prebook whale watching in Juneau?

CathyCruises

There are plenty of options at the dock, and the prices were much better than excursions on the ship. We cruised there in May of 2009, so maybe the prices go up in the middle of the season, not sure. We actually should've waited until Icy Strait Point or some other smaller port to book a whale-watching excursion because there was so much more to do in Juneau that we didn't enough time for.

We prebooked directly with Harv & Marv this week (we're a month out from our cruise). We decided we would whale watch regardless of the weather, so wouldn't want to take any chances by waiting. They are picking us up at the dock at 8:30 am and dropping us at Mendenhall at the end of our excursion. We'll take the bus back afterward.

If you want to whale watch then in my mind you've decided! When I know I always research and book. Better to do that IMHO than leave it to chance.

I'd search the boards here and figure out if the few highly recommended are what you want.

My forecast is if you wait to port to decide the ones mentioned here will be full, sure you might save a few dollars but how much is experience versus dollars worth to you with the vendors hawking oppourtunistic guides. I do remember seeing the big ship boat, our boat and a few other random boats floating around the whales, I can assume those were the other tours, now many others booked but not hear whales only those customers can tell you.

Booked with Harv & Marv this week too - for next May! Didn't want to take a chance on not sailing with them this trip :D

If you know you want to whale watch I would book early so you're not disappointed. Their excursion is actually a bit more than the cruise line option but I think it will be worth it based on what I have read. I like the pickup at the pier (we're likely going to be at the AJ Dock) and the courtesy stop at Mendenhall on the return trip too :D

We prebooked directly with Harv & Marv this week (we're a month out from our cruise). We decided we would whale watch regardless of the weather, so wouldn't want to take any chances by waiting. They are picking us up at the dock at 8:30 am and dropping us at Mendenhall at the end of our excursion. We'll take the bus back afterward.

What cruise? Sounds about the same timing as us - Star Princess 8/12

I've been calling various vendors the past several weeks for our cruise in several weeks. The problems I see with waiting until the dock: unreputable vendor on a sketchy boat; overcrowded boat; poor service; possible chance to not go;

In calling the companies I knew & would consider based on these boards' recommendations, I found that many were already booked for the time slot I would want. Or, if I wanted to use a company that offered a coupon, that they were already booked solid.

I think it would depend on what you were looking for in the experience, as many people are just as happy booking through the ship I would imagine.

We had booked kayaking in advance and were on the fence about whale watching. It worked out great for us though, when we picked up a whale watch on the pier with a company that is highly recommended on this board for $30 less/pp than their website posted prices (they were just trying to fill the boat at that point). Since we did a late afternoon, the boat was not as full as morning either, which was great.

Archived