Ship Time in Alaska

I know this has been answered before, but I just can't find it. Our cruise departs Seattle and stops at Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. Seattle is Pacific time and all 3 Alaska ports are Alaska Standard Date Time, which is 1 hr. later. So when it says we are in Ketchikan from 7 AM to 1 PM is that PST or AKDT. Do we change are watches, or is ship time, and thus port times always PST. I think I remember on our Carnival Caribbean Cruises that Ship time was always Eastern time since the cruises were out of Fort Lauderdale. As a side question, how does that work on round the world cruises I wonder? I mean ship time would be like 9, 10, 18, 22, or more hours off at some point, right?

I know this has been answered before, but I just can't find it. Our cruise departs Seattle and stops at Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. Seattle is Pacific time and all 3 Alaska ports are Alaska Standard Date Time, which is 1 hr. later. So when it says we are in Ketchikan from 7 AM to 1 PM is that PST or AKDT. Do we change are watches, or is ship time, and thus port times always PST. I think I remember on our Carnival Caribbean Cruises that Ship time was always Eastern time since the cruises were out of Fort Lauderdale. As a side question, how does that work on round the world cruises I wonder? I mean ship time would be like 9, 10, 18, 22, or more hours off at some point, right?

You will obsevre local time - the ship will change clocks back one hour (to Alaska time) and then forward on the return to Seattle. We cruised HAL a few years ago (out of Vancouver, which is also PDT) and this is what we did. The itinerary usually indicates the local time in each location.

The ship's daily newsletter will always tell you when to change your clock/watch. Usually the cruise director will announce time changes before or after the theater shows.

On HAL ships, the cabin steward will leave a card with your turn down service chocolate any night where we are to turn the clocks forward or back. Be sure to read the cards (s)he leaves so you'll have the right time.

We were on local time on Westerdam a couple of weeks ago. We were notified as to when to change the clocks by the CD, via the daily paper, and the card left on the bed at turndown, as others have noted. We moved our clocks to AKDT before turning in on the second night of the cruise (which was a sea day for us). We turned them back to PDT the night before our arrival in Victoria.

As a side question, how does that work on round the world cruises I wonder? I mean ship time would be like 9, 10, 18, 22, or more hours off at some point, right?
No. With very few exceptions, ship time is adjusted to local time. On a TransAtlantic you would adjust your clocks 1 hour 5 times, etc.

Have done quite a few Alaskan cruises and -- yes -- the ships clocks will be changed to the local time.

The first change is to set your clock back an hour near the beginning of your cruise -- time change depends on itinerary -- you can an hour of sleep. :)

And near the end of your cruise you set your clock forward an hour and lose an hour of sleep. :(

I know this has been answered before, but I just can't find it. Our cruise departs Seattle and stops at Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. Seattle is Pacific time and all 3 Alaska ports are Alaska Standard Date Time, which is 1 hr. later.

:confused: :confused: :confused: I am curious as to which ship you are on, to my knowledge HAL doesnt go to Skagway out of Seattle????

Amsterdam 7/20 It is a 7 day cruise. Juneau on 7/22, Skagway on 7/23, Endicott Arm on 7/24, Ketchikan on 7/25, and Victoria on 7/26

:eek: Interesting, my oops. The Amsterdam has been running 14 day cruises since June 1. We disembarked from her on June 1 after her 2nd 7 day trip, but didnt go to Skagway. Also, I have never heard o Endicott Arm....Have a nice cruise...

Archived