Corkage when you bring your own wine

improvman

I brought several bottles on board my last cruise and almost every night took one to the dining room and only about half the time would the staff charge me the corkage fee. Sometimes I had already corked it in my room and they charged me anyway and other times they corked it in the MDR and didnt bother to charge me. They clearly don't care THAT much.

BTW, I've been on several lines and Princess is the only one I know of that allows you to bring wine on board. It's a nice benefit, especially if you like to drink in your room. However, thanks to the already low markup on the wine list, its really not much of a savings, especially after the corkage. As a result, it's really only worthwhile to bring something on that's not on their list... Something special to you or something fairly pricy or exotic.

I think it might be good business to allow people to bring a glass of wine to the MDR. For myself, I often feel like having a second glass and I am not going back to my room, so will usually buy a glass or get talked into buying a bottle. As for my wife, she would think nothing of paying a $15.00 corkage fee for her $8.00 wine.

We also have this problem. What we started doing was bringing the bottle down to the dining room, but then hiding it outside someplace. Behind chair, inside a potted plant, under some life jackets... This way we don't have to go all the way back to the room to fill up.

We also have this problem. What we started doing was bringing the bottle down to the dining room, but then hiding it outside someplace. Behind chair, inside a potted plant, under some life jackets... This way we don't have to go all the way back to the room to fill up.

LOL! I say pour the wine into a clean shampoo bottle first. Then bring the shampoo bottle to the MDR, so you won't look out of place.

• 6 months later...
Oh I realize that they would certainly like to recoup some $$ for allowing me to drink my own wine but that's not likely to happen anytime soon, especially since their corkage charge is more than the cost of the wine I like to drink. I think you're taking this corkage charge a little to seriously as far as a glass of wine is concerned.

And, soon is now.

Archived