Corkage when you bring your own wine

improvman

I think it's pretty interesting that there are a group of us who have nothing better to do than ramble on for days about minor issues. Last week it was internet for suite passengers, this week corkage fees.

Well, unlike the Internet debate, I find this to be a fascinating and illuminating discussion about ethics, morals and economics.

Also, a review of this and similar threads seems to reveal that the people most willing to pay the $15 corkage fee without complaint are the self-professed wine afficianandos who bring higher priced and/or unique wines and the people sneaking in wine trend more (though not exclusively) towards less expensive and fungible wines whose functional equivalent could be purchased on board. I sense that the former very much fear that the actions of the latter could ruin the privilege for everyone.

Back in post #32 it was made clear, via a quote from the Answer Book, what Princess wants. They want you to drink your personal wine in your cabin, but not in public areas. Need a refresher? Here 'tis:

"Consumption of personal wine or champagne is limited to your stateroom."

And, of course, your gin and vermouth is covered, too, assuming you brought them from shore: "We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages (other than wine and/or champagne) onboard for consumption."

I'm not sure how much more unambiguous things can get.

LOOP HOLE "they kindly request" so it's a suggestion not a real violation :D

I think it's pretty interesting that people feel that it's ok to do things on a cruise that they KNOW they couldn't get away with on land. I agree with some of the other posts about abuse. I guess it's ok to avoid the corkage fee now, because you'll need to save up for when they change the policies & you have no choice but to buy their wine.

I will always have the choice. I don't have to sail Princess if I don't like their policies (not that I'd make a decision based on corkage). I find it amusing how some people feel an obligation to sail Princess annually and keep their shareholders happy.

I kindly requested TD and was denied. I kindly requested a reserved front row seat at each of their shows and was denied. I kindly requested to pay less for kids and was denied. So guess what I think about what Princess kindly requests.

I will always have the choice. I don't have to sail Princess if I don't like their policies (not that I'd make a decision based on corkage). I find it amusing how some people feel an obligation to sail Princess annually and keep their shareholders happy.

Of course you always have the option of another cruise line. What is frustrating is how people on here brag about ways to get over & ruin it for people who CHOOSE to follow policies & CHOOSE to sail with Princess. This time we're talking about a $15.00 fee. Fact of the matter, it's a small price to pay to be able to bring wine on your trip. And if $15.00 is too steep, then...well, you know the rest.

I kindly requested TD and was denied. I kindly requested a reserved front row seat at each of their shows and was denied. I kindly requested to pay less for kids and was denied. So guess what I think about what Princess kindly requests.

If they make you so unhappy, why do you continue to sail with them?

Well, yes. Clearly, Princess staff isn't going to make a scene about carrying a glass of wine of dubious provenance into the MDR.

But the question at hand was "what Princess wants," not "what Princess will let you get away with because you're cheap."

And - as we all know - Princess has no problem summarily taking away benefits and privileges. As someone who's cheap myself, I'd like to be able to follow Princess guidelines, carry on my wine, and have a pre-dinner glass of plonk in my stateroom. And clearly, it will be easier for PCL just to do what other lines do and confiscate all alcohol at embarkation rather than deal with this on a glass-by-glass basis.

Just sayin'.

I kindly requested a reserved front row seat at each of their shows and was denied.... So guess what I think about what Princess kindly requests.

You actually requested a primo reserved seat at every show, and your nose is out of joint because you didn't get your way?

I'm gobsmacked.

And clearly, it will be easier for PCL just to do what other lines do and confiscate all alcohol at embarkation rather than deal with this on a glass-by-glass basis.
Doesn't seem like it would be easier to scan all luggage, have luggage suspected of having wine bottles sent to a special "naughty" room, and have passengers open the luggage for inspection. Still wouldn't catch all of it, because it wouldn't take long to figure out ways to get around it.

Did you forget to add the winkie face ;)

Thanks for your responses, I think you're kinda funny and I rarely think anyone is funny on CC. You made me look up the word "fungible".

I'm no wine afficianado by any means...I'm like the Thomas Hayden Church character when we try different wines.

One of the funniest responses I've read so far (perhaps not yours) was that 2 buck chuck tastes like a wine twice its price. So that means it tastes like a wine @ retail price of $4. There have been rare times we've found a decent red @ $4, but then go back and it's gone.

I have friends who drink only sweet white wine and add ice cubes to it, I still love them for who they are :D

You actually requested a primo reserved seat at every show, and your nose is out of joint because you didn't get your way?

I'm gobsmacked.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic with this example. I've read so many complaints of the Sea Princess lately that I'm having buyer's remorse, and I finding it interesting that people on this board are concerned about Princess's revenue. I thought a cruise vacation was about enjoying yourself and not just funding a giant corporation.

Doesn't seem like it would be easier to scan all luggage, have luggage suspected of having wine bottles sent to a special "naughty" room, and have passengers open the luggage for inspection. Still wouldn't catch all of it, because it wouldn't take long to figure out ways to get around it.

That would mean having 90% of the ship opening their luggage only to show that they have a wine bottle inside, which is fine by Princess.

What about what's inside the wine bottle?

I don't get how following policy is considered being concerned with funding a company. And being able to bring wine onboard IS enjoying yourself for a lot of people. To quibble over $15.00 instead of drinking it in your room or buying a glass at dinner speaks volumes. If I had to count pennies then either I'd stay at home, or cruise with the parent company.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic with this example. I've read so many complaints of the Sea Princess lately that I'm having buyer's remorse, and I finding it interesting that people on this board are concerned about Princess's revenue. I thought a cruise vacation was about enjoying yourself and not just funding a giant corporation.

The majority of posts here are complaints about something.

Many are people asking what a 'guarantee' is, when their

cabin will be assigned, and what were other folks' experience

with booking a guarantee

The rest are people asking what a coke-sticker is, and what a

coffee-card is, and can they share it with other people.

I can't imagine that anyone who's only exposure to cruising

is reading this forum would ever embark.

NCL also allows passengers to bring wine on board. You pay the corkage fee ($15 per bottle) on embarkation. They put a sticker on the bottle after the fee is paid' date=' and then you can bring it anywhere on the ship (dining room, lounges, theater, etc).

I appreciate the Princess policy and hope they don't end it due to abuse.[/quote']

This will come to Princess soon and it will be all the rule breakers who will complain the loudest.

I find it interesting that those who break the wine rules also don't attend muster, flaut the MDR dress code and the formal night dress code. I wonder what other rules they choose to ignore?! :rolleyes:

This will come to Princess soon and it will be all the rule breakers who will complain the loudest.

I find it interesting that those who break the wine rules also don't attend muster, flaut the MDR dress code and the formal night dress code. I wonder what other rules they choose to ignore?! :rolleyes:

Hey, I may carry an occasional glass of wine to the dining room but I always attend muster and adhere to the dress code! :p

Doesn't seem like it would be easier to scan all luggage, have luggage suspected of having wine bottles sent to a special "naughty" room, and have passengers open the luggage for inspection.

Ship with 3100 passengers and over 5000 pieces of luggage.

What would the cost be to Princess to scan those 5000 pieces and figure out if there is wine in some of them?

Yes, every checked bag is scanned by port security personnel, but they are looking for weapons.

What would the cost be to Princess to scan those 5000 pieces and figure out if there is wine in some of them?

Yes, every checked bag is scanned by port security personnel, but they are looking for weapons.

If other cruise lines do it now Princess will follow if the current system is abused.

Its done with that many on a couple of other cruise lines and the booze is confiscated.

Archived