Corkage when you bring your own wine

improvman

When I sailed Carnival in 2007, I read that if you bring a corkscrew and cork your own wine, they don't charge you corkage. Naturally, I did that. Does Princess have the same policy? Thanks.

DH often brings wine onboard and we bring our corkscrew. ask the steward for a couple of wine glasses and he either drinks it in the room or brings a glass to dinner. if you bring the bottle to dinner and they cork it, they may or may not charge you corkage fee, its a toss up.

When I sailed Carnival in 2007, I read that if you bring a corkscrew and cork your own wine, they don't charge you corkage. Naturally, I did that. Does Princess have the same policy? Thanks.
You can drink wine in your own cabin for no fee. You steward will bring you wine glasses and probably a corkscrew. There is a $15 corkage fee for consuming wine in the DRs. I have never been so lucky as to not being charged the corkage fee, but I am glad to pay in exchange for the generous Princess wine policy. Although some have posted that they bring a glass of wine from their cabin to dinner, on the Princess website it states that any wine consumed in a public space can be subject to a $15 corkage fee. Let's abide by the rules and continue to be able to enjoy our own wine in our cabin as well as buying wine or paying corkage for wine consumed in public spaces.

You can drink wine in your own cabin for no fee. You steward will bring you wine glasses and probably a corkscrew. There is a $15 corkage fee for consuming wine in the DRs. I have never been so lucky as to not being charged the corkage fee, but I am glad to pay in exchange for the generous Princess wine policy. Although some have posted that they bring a glass of wine from their cabin to dinner, on the Princess website it states that any wine consumed in a public space can be subject to a $15 corkage fee. Let's abide by the rules and continue to be able to enjoy our own wine in our cabin as well as buying wine or paying corkage for wine consumed in public spaces.

I'm with you 100%!!

We always just bring our own corkscrew and consume our wine in our cabin before going to dinner, especially nice if you are in a balcony cabin :). We appreciate Princess's bringing some of your own wine policy.

Cori

The only reason they don't charge a corkage fee when you bring your own glass to the dining room or any public space is that they can't actually tell where you got it from and would never ask. It could have been bought in any bar or taken from your room, but if anyone feels obligated to pay the $15 to drink their own wine I'm sure they'll willingly take your donation.

...but if anyone feels obligated to pay the $15 to drink their own wine I'm sure they'll willingly take your donation.

It's not a donation. It is payment of a stated fee. Skirting that fee is no different than grabbing the coffee pot at the Interantional Cafe when the barista has his/her back turned and pouring yourself a free cup of coffee. Just because no one sees you pour your own wine and prance into the MDR with it in your hand does not make the fee go away.

I think it might be good business to allow people to bring a glass of wine to the MDR. For myself, I often feel like having a second glass and I am not going back to my room, so will usually buy a glass or get talked into buying a bottle. As for my wife, she would think nothing of paying a $15.00 corkage fee for her $8.00 wine.

I think it might be good business to allow people to bring a glass of wine to the MDR. For myself, I often feel like having a second glass and I am not going back to my room, so will usually buy a glass or get talked into buying a bottle. As for my wife, she would think nothing of paying a $15.00 corkage fee for her $8.00 wine.

There is no restriction to bringing your own glass of wine into the MDR. I do it every night; there and to the buffet. And if I were dining at the alternate restarurants, would show up there with it too.

It's not a donation. It is payment of a stated fee. Skirting that fee is no different than grabbing the coffee pot at the Interantional Cafe when the barista has his/her back turned and pouring yourself a free cup of coffee. Just because no one sees you pour your own wine and prance into the MDR with it in your hand does not make the fee go away.

It is a donation when you voluntarily give it to them because you've brought your own glass of wine into the DR or show lounge. I doubt they would even accept it since there probably hasn't been anyone that foolish to give it to them.

There is no restriction to bringing your own glass of wine into the MDR. I do it every night; there and to the buffet. And if I were dining at the alternate restarurants, would show up there with it too.
I also usually bring at least a partial glass of wine to dinner as it can take forever for the staff to retrieve your saved bottle from the wine "bank".
Please see the following from the Princess website.

"Consumption of personal wine or champagne is limited to your stateroom. A $15.00 per bottle corkage fee (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to your shipboard account for any personal wine or champagne consumed in any public area of the ship. Any wines or champagnes supplied from the ship's stock to passengers would not be subject to a corkage fee."

The paragraph before that statement mentions the "one bottle per person rule" which is not currently followed. However, we should remember what has recently happened with the Coffee Card and Suite Internet, perhaps as a result of abuse. Think what it would be like if Princess enforced the one bottle rule on a TA. There would quickly be dry balconies :eek:

It is a donation when you voluntarily give it to them because you've brought your own glass of wine into the DR or show lounge. I doubt they would even accept it since there probably hasn't been anyone that foolish to give it to them.

If you are drinking your own wine in a public area, you are subject to the fee. The whole point to a corkage fee is to recoup some lost income from not selling alcohol, and for the predictable breakage, wear and tear of stemware. While I concede that if you are bringing a glass to the theater, or sipping a glass in the library, there really isn't a way to charge you a fee. But when you waltz into the dining room, they can tack the fee on just as easily as charging you for bottled water or a soda. Most of the people who admit to bringing their own wine into the MDRs confess to doing so because they don't want to order a glass or a bottle with dinner, which is fine. But that is just another way of saying: "I don't want to buy wine with my meal." Fine. That is allowed. But that is precisely why they charge a corkage fee. To claw back some of that lost revenue.

As for my wife, she would think nothing of paying a $15.00 corkage fee for her $8.00 wine.
We've gladly paid the corkage fee, usually on $10-$12 bottles. They're the ones that would be $35 on the wine list.

Please see the following from the Princess website.

"Consumption of personal wine or champagne is limited to your stateroom. A $15.00 per bottle corkage fee (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to your shipboard account for any personal wine or champagne consumed in any public area of the ship. Any wines or champagnes supplied from the ship's stock to passengers would not be subject to a corkage fee."

The paragraph before that statement mentions the "one bottle per person rule" which is not currently followed. However, we should remember what has recently happened with the Coffee Card and Suite Internet, perhaps as a result of abuse. Think what it would be like if Princess enforced the one bottle rule on a TA. There would quickly be dry balconies :eek:

So I guess you could say I'm abusing the system, since I poured the wine in my room and decided to finish it elsewhere. OK. I'm guilty.

We enjoy our wine in our cabin only, sometimes take a bottle to the DR. We also buy a bottle or two in the DR. Have found sometimes they don't charge a corking fee if you buy wine in the DR. That use to be the case a lot, less so recently.

If you are drinking your own wine in a public area, you are subject to the fee. The whole point to a corkage fee is to recoup some lost income from not selling alcohol, and for the predictable breakage, wear and tear of stemware. While I concede that if you are bringing a glass to the theater, or sipping a glass in the library, there really isn't a way to charge you a fee. But when you waltz into the dining room, they can tack the fee on just as easily as charging you for bottled water or a soda. Most of the people who admit to bringing their own wine into the MDRs confess to doing so because they don't want to order a glass or a bottle with dinner, which is fine. But that is just another way of saying: "I don't want to buy wine with my meal." Fine. That is allowed. But that is precisely why they charge a corkage fee. To claw back some of that lost revenue.

You can't win this one either. :eek::rolleyes::cool:

On my very first Princess cruise in April, I was thrilled to be allowed to bring onboard a huge bottle of wine. I didn't bother getting wine glasses, I used the cocktail glasses already in my room. And yes, I would take the unfinished glass of wine with me to dinner. I don't think it was very obvious in the MDR that I was even drinking wine.

It was such a refreshing change to be treated as an adult by Princess instead of as a child by RCCL. :p

It would be tacky to uncork your own wine in the DR, and not expect to pay the fee. :eek:

"Consumption of personal wine or champagne is limited to your stateroom. A $15.00 per bottle corkage fee (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to your shipboard account for any personal wine or champagne consumed in any public area of the ship.

Obviously Princess is prepared to sample the glass of wine you bring into the dining room and do a quick chemical analysis to determine if the vintage is one that could have come from the ship's stocks.

Oh I realize that they would certainly like to recoup some $$ for allowing me to drink my own wine but that's not likely to happen anytime soon, especially since their corkage charge is more than the cost of the wine I like to drink. I think you're taking this corkage charge a little to seriously as far as a glass of wine is concerned.

The only reason they don't charge a corkage fee when you bring your own glass to the dining room or any public space is that they can't actually tell where you got it from and would never ask. It could have been bought in any bar or taken from your room, but if anyone feels obligated to pay the $15 to drink their own wine I'm sure they'll willingly take your donation.

I hope enough people brag here that someone at princess finally notices

and takes action.

I think you're taking this corkage charge a little to seriously as far as a glass of wine is concerned.

But the glass of wine came from .....wait for it.........a bottle! By your logic, one who opens a bottle and consumes 6 glasses in the MDR in a single seating should pay $15. But a person who opens a bottle and totes in one glass at a time for 6 successive days should not. Sorry, but I don't get this.

But the glass of wine came from .....wait for it.........a bottle! By your logic, one who opens a bottle and consumes 6 glasses in the MDR in a single seating should pay $15. But a person who opens a bottle and totes in one glass at a time for 6 successive days should not. Sorry, but I don't get this.
My box of Vella Merlot is 5 liters, which is 6 2/3 bottles. It doesn't have a cork, but just about the same amount of trouble to open. Would they charge me $15 for the box or $15 * 6 2/3 to open it?

Archived