Klondike Express 26 glaciers cruise before cruise

FunShipCruiser05

Any thoughts on why Major Marine seems to be attracting fewer people?

Two ideas: 1. Major is new to the Surprise Glacier/Esther Passage route. That was the domain of 26 Glaciers and Prince William Sound Cruises; however, Prince William Sound Cruises left Whittier so Major took on their route. 2. Major lacks an office in downtown Anchorage while 26 Glaciers has a very visible office on 4th Avenue which is where the tourists congregate.

The two times this year that I took Major Marine's tour from Whittier I saw the Philips boat being loaded just before mine (they share a gangway to board). They were always more crowded than the Major Marine tours. I was always smiling and glad when I saw the crowds boarding Philips but so many fewer boarding Major Marine :)

We took the 26 Glacier cruise in June for the first time. I had called the day before to make reservations and chose the Phillips cruise because the food was included in the price and because of the good reviews I had read. I almost asked for my money back as the cruise was so packed that we two seniors were put with a couple with two toddlers at a table for 6. We asked to be moved so they put us with four adults.

Should I take this cruise again I will make sure to ask for a table for four near the window. The seating is tight. As it was we spent the entire cruise outside (except for lunch) and I ended up in a chair on the aft deck where I could have a nice view away from the wind. Another nice thing about the trip was that one of the crew offered to take pictures of each group with our own cameras. No sales pitch but we got a wonderful picture to print when we got home.

I'm glad we stayed on the tour. It was a beautiful, clear day and the captain took us right up close to the glaciers in College Fjord and then up close to Surprise Glacier. We enjoyed lots of otters, great commentary, glacier calving and saw amazing scenery. By the time we got off the ship I was a happy cruiser. I later met the captain and expressed my appreciation for what turned out to be a wonderful day!

Two ideas: 1. Major is new to the Surprise Glacier/Esther Passage route. That was the domain of 26 Glaciers and Prince William Sound Cruises; however, Prince William Sound Cruises left Whittier so Major took on their route. 2. Major lacks an office in downtown Anchorage while 26 Glaciers has a very visible office on 4th Avenue which is where the tourists congregate.

Major Marine has some kind of an office in Anchorage. I had left something on boat and picked it up there.

Major Marine has some kind of an office in Anchorage. I had left something on boat and picked it up there.

Unfortunately, it's way out on International Airport Road near Minnesota Drive when several companies store their tour buses. Not the most accessible place for most tourists who stay in the downtown area. They used to have an office in the Sunshine Mall on 4th Avenue but it has been closed.

You can book online with Major but you need access to a computer and printer to get your boarding pass. I think many people prefer a walk-in office like 26 Glaciers and Kenai Fjords tours have on 4th Avenue. Their displays out front with the glacial ice certainly attract attention and do bring in traffic.

Unfortunately, it's way out on International Airport Road near Minnesota Drive when several companies store their tour buses. Not the most accessible place for most tourists who stay in the downtown area. They used to have an office in the Sunshine Mall on 4th Avenue but it has been closed.

You can book online with Major but you need access to a computer and printer to get your boarding pass. I think many people prefer a walk-in office like 26 Glaciers and Kenai Fjords tours have on 4th Avenue. Their displays out front with the glacial ice certainly attract attention and do bring in traffic.

No it was right downtown, it was last year. Not at the mall, a couple blocks down (away from the Cook inlet) from the Visitor Center. So they now have closed?

No it was right downtown, it was last year. Not at the mall, a couple blocks down (away from the Cook inlet) from the Visitor Center. So they now have closed?

Right - there's no downtown office this summer.

Archived