13 cruises ago I

jetsfan

became hooked on balcony cabins. (sounds like a 12 step program). :) Carnival upgraded us to an obstructed view and we have had all kinds since then.

My good friend and I have decided to go on a cruise in September and leave our husbands and kiddos behind. She has been through alot. This is way unexpected, as I am going with my family of 6 on the Spirit in 14 days.

We just want to hang out on the beach and will do little to no excursions. My friend is on a REALLY tight budget. If we weren't just coming back from a huge trip, I would pay more and treat her to a balcony, but I had to promise my DH I would really behave.

We will do an inside, but I was thinking the French door obstructed view would maximize our budget and give me the air I crave and perhaps a glimpse of the ocean. I was looking at cabins 4111 and 4115, I know it's not the same, but any thoughts from people who have stayed in these kinds of staterooms? Is one better than the other? I have looked at the deck plans but it is hard to tell what the cabin will really be like. Thanks for any thoughts

I can't comment on the French Door cabin because I have never stayed in one BUT....I wanted to share with you my experience.

From the time I had my first balcony, that was all I cruised in for many cruises. Then all of a sudden last year I was able to go with a friend on a cruise but we needed to book an inside cabin. Additionally, this extra cruise took place only a couple of months after I had sailed on the Liberty in a Suite. SO it was a HUGE difference!

I really had no problem with the inside. I spent MUCH more time out on deck. FOr example, when I have a balcony cabin I order room service in the morning and have my coffee on the balcony and start my day there. When I have an inside I go up to the Lido Deck and have my morning coffee. The cabin really was a place I only went to sleep and dress and occasionally use my own bathroom during the day instead of the public bathrooms.

It was a different experience for sure. However, you will be sailing without DH so it will be a different kind of experience anyway.

I can tell you that it worked so well last year my friend & I did it again this past May!

Thank you for your perspective. I hadn't thought of it like that. I am just so used to a balcony. I love sitting out there reading and watching the water.

When I cruise with my DH we do want a lot of alone time. I think you are right, we will want to hurry and get up to the Lido to check things out.

It has been hard on her these past 2 years. I just want her to have a really great vacation.

If we are out and around the ship, we are bound to do more and meet some fun people in the process!

I also love my balcony's but we decided to do a 4J for our B2B to help cut down on the cost. It is an inside cabin but has a window that over looks the "secret decks" this way we are only a few steps from the outside and we have a window.

Thank you for your perspective. I hadn't thought of it like that. I am just so used to a balcony. I love sitting out there reading and watching the water.

When I cruise with my DH we do want a lot of alone time. I think you are right, we will want to hurry and get up to the Lido to check things out.

It has been hard on her these past 2 years. I just want her to have a really great vacation.

If we are out and around the ship, we are bound to do more and meet some fun people in the process!

This is exactly what I have found. I met some great people and we would see each other over and over. In fact, a couple of them I kept in touch with and have seen after the cruise.

What ship are you sailing?? Many ships have some cool nooks and crannies and lounge/seating areas that I don't think I would have even seen if I had a balcony. I love to people watch and I really do a lot more of that when I did not have a balcony.

As I said....Yes, it is a different experience but I really enjoyed it. I did have an OV cabin once. I have decided that I would never spend extra to have a window. For me it's either a balcony or an inside.

Another nice thing about a balcony is the darkness! Personally, I like to have a late afternoon nap out on deck but my friend would go back to the cabin and nap because the darkness was needed.

If your friend has had a difficult year I am sure the whole experience of a cruise will be wonderful regardless of the cabin!

Archived