Best Sea Sickness Meds?

My doctor gave me Meclizine and told me to take one every morning on the cruise wether I thought I needed it or not. I did just that and I never got ill!

Im a fan of Meclizine as well. It can make you drowsy. If so, take it at night before bed.

It is the active ingedient in brand name Bonine. BUT here in TN you can go to a pharmacy and ask for it and get 100 pills for less than $10.00.

I now normally take the Ginger pills unless it is very rought out. And yes I am prone to Seasickness. I NEVER ride rides at any fair etc due to motion sickness.

All of these are better at preventing so be sure to take it first sign of queasy ness.

Never cruised before and have been reading about all the different seas sickness meds.

Which one is best:

Bonine

The patch

Sea bands

ginger tablets

?????? thanks

Don't bother with Sea Bands, Ginger ..and the patch has too many side effects!! Sea sickness comes from the inner ear...ginger just works to calm the stomach not the problem.

We cruise alot and always take Meclizine...also known as Bonine or Non-Drowsy Dramamine.

Bonine is not available in Canada anymore..its use to be under the name of Bonamine. That Contains Meclizine which we no longer sell for some strange reason!

You can buy Meclizine behind the counter from a Pharmacy in the US for about $5 for a bottle of 100. Which is much cheaper then buying Non-Drowzy Dramamine. Walmart in the US also has their brand. I think it was $1.96 for 6 chewable tablets.

If you don't get the opportunity to pop over the border then order a bottle of Meclizine 25mg ( or if you buy the 12.5mg you just take 2)..buy it off of Amazon.com..I think last time I saw it on there it was like $9 with shipping to Canada.

Gravol makes me tired and Meclizine does not! Works like a charm.

Take it the day before you get on the ship and get it running through your system..then make sure you take it every day.

People think they can take it after they get sick..but thats not the case..its to prevent it..not treat it :D

I've tried them all and find that Bonine (Meclizine) works best for me. Dramamine makes me sleepy, bands give me claustrophobia and I'm constantly moving them around, Ginger isn't strong enough to help with real rough seas (but helps me with air sickness) and I can't see paying for a patch when Meclizine is so much cheaper.

I can't go an the cars at the amusement park without felling sick. I have tried mamy things. Melzine,dramine ,patches. The best for me is to start taking peto bismal (genetric walmart) afew days before I go then I take 2 in the am and 2 in the pm while on the ship. It keeps your stomach settled.

I had my daughter bring up some bonine from the states to try.

I also take lyrica for fibromaylagia so my doctor wasnt sure how the bonine would be as both have possible side effects of drowsiness.

I don't get the drowsiness with lyrica - and when I took the bonine I felt a little fuzzy but anxious. I only took one pill - so perhaps I should take them over 3 days and then see how I feel in the end.

Guess I should also try alcohol with it as well to see how that is.

The doctor also suggested trying the patch - but did say your pupil can become dialated and then you look like you are having a stroke. Don't think I want to try that one even though it is only $10.

Thanks all

I use the patch simply because it works. Before taking it, I' ve thrown up, dry heaves, nausea, and then it took an hour on land to feel better. If you have my symptoms and nothing works, use the patch!!!! (Only if your doctor ok's it.)

I have horrible issues with motion sickness and I have used the patch on the last two cruises we took. I found that it worked great.

Just remember to not take it off as soon as you get home. Leave it on for a day so your body can get used to being on land again.

I take the patch with me now. Some days I do not even need it. For our next cruise I purchased two packs (24 days worth) for only 20 dollars. Not too bad. I usually come home with more then half of them. The older I get the worse my sickness has become. I can't even do a simple ride at a park anymore without one on.

If you get the patch, be sure to not wash it off. If you do, just put it back on.

Taking a pill is so much easier. If I was you I would go for that. I have no idea why I use the patch... :)

Benadryl

Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate) actually turns into Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) in the body

Bonine (Meclizine) is what I use and seems to work the best for most people. It is less drowsy than Dramamine, works for up to 24 hours vs 6-8 for Dramamine and the generic Meclizine can be purchased at the pharmacy for under $5 for 100ct tablets vs $8 for the brand name 16ct Bonine.

Ginger pills have been proven to be almost as effective as OTC meds. Studies by the US Navy and Royal British Navy have shown sea bands to be no more effective than placebos.

The Scopolamine patch is overkill in most cases, imho - it makes me extremely loopy, sleepy and the worst case of cotton mouth.

Don't bother with Sea Bands, Ginger ..and the patch has too many side effects!! Sea sickness comes from the inner ear...ginger just works to calm the stomach not the problem.

We cruise alot and always take Meclizine...also known as Bonine or Non-Drowsy Dramamine.

Bonine is not available in Canada anymore..its use to be under the name of Bonamine. That Contains Meclizine which we no longer sell for some strange reason!

You can buy Meclizine behind the counter from a Pharmacy in the US for about $5 for a bottle of 100. Which is much cheaper then buying Non-Drowzy Dramamine. Walmart in the US also has their brand. I think it was $1.96 for 6 chewable tablets.

If you don't get the opportunity to pop over the border then order a bottle of Meclizine 25mg ( or if you buy the 12.5mg you just take 2)..buy it off of Amazon.com..I think last time I saw it on there it was like $9 with shipping to Canada.

Gravol makes me tired and Meclizine does not! Works like a charm.

Take it the day before you get on the ship and get it running through your system..then make sure you take it every day.

People think they can take it after they get sick..but thats not the case..its to prevent it..not treat it :D

Drugstore.com has cheap travel sickness pills. I bought 100 meclizine tablets for $5.99

Soon to be Mrs. Taddeo. 8-10-12

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I take the patch with me now. Some days I do not even need it. For our next cruise I purchased two packs (24 days worth) for only 20 dollars. Not too bad. I usually come home with more then half of them. The older I get the worse my sickness has become. I can't even do a simple ride at a park anymore without one on.

If you get the patch, be sure to not wash it off. If you do, just put it back on.

Taking a pill is so much easier. If I was you I would go for that. I have no idea why I use the patch... :)

Where do you purchase a patch pkg for $20

I had my doctor write me a prescription and it was $90

Soon to be Mrs. Taddeo. 8-10-12

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My doctor gave me Meclizine and told me to take one every morning on the cruise wether I thought I needed it or not. I did just that and I never got ill!

I'd recommend you ask your family doctor as this person did. On our last cruise I asked the doctor for some Zofran. It is used a lot with patients going through chemo to help with the nausea. I used it a few times on the last trip. I was also given Meclizine for something else a few months ago, so I'll probably take that on this trip.

I guess I'd rather have the over the counter stuff as well as ask a doctor because why settle if there is something that will work really well.

I get terrible terrible motion sickness, can't even sit in the backseat of a car!! That being said I used to use Dramamine and spent our first cruise asleep!! :( I tried Ginger and that didn't work at ALL!!! So now I have the patch, no drowsiness but really bad cotton mouth after a couple days. IF the water gets really rough I still havet o go to bed sick even with the patch, but regular days it helps. I have never tried Bonine but I am a big supporter of the patch, but you now have to have an Rx so plan ahead. Good luck seasickness is aweful. We are cruising in August and I already have my patches ready to go:)!!!

I get terrible terrible motion sickness, can't even sit in the backseat of a car!! That being said I used to use Dramamine and spent our first cruise asleep!! :( I tried Ginger and that didn't work at ALL!!! So now I have the patch, no drowsiness but really bad cotton mouth after a couple days. IF the water gets really rough I still havet o go to bed sick even with the patch, but regular days it helps. I have never tried Bonine but I am a big supporter of the patch, but you now have to have an Rx so plan ahead. Good luck seasickness is aweful. We are cruising in August and I already have my patches ready to go:)!!!

I am the same way. I can't even watch rides at the fair, sit in the backseat, ect.. First time I tried Meclizine, spent the first night throwing up in bed. Dramamine/Benadryl makes me too sleepy, never tried Ginger. The last 3 cruises, I have used the patches. Doctor told me to put it on the day before. Did that the first time, by day 3, I was having problems reading, I had no idea why. It was a fun drive home after the cruise. DS ended up driving most of the way. 2nd time, put it on the day before again, by day 2 my eye site was funny again, this time DH looked and told me my right eye was dilated. Took the patch off that night, took about 24 hours for it to go back to normal. 3rd time, I put the patch on the morning of, by lunch time, I had such bad cottonmouth, it was horrible. I ended up taking off the patch about 7pm that night, and was fine the rest of the cruise.

I am taking another cruise in 40 days (but who's counting :rolleyes:), and I think I will use the patch again, despite the side effects. Cotton-mouth is a heck of a lot better than spending the first night in bed throwing up! In my experience, it's usually only the 1st night that there is problem with sea-sickness, unless you hit bad seas, of course. By day 2, usually people get their "sea legs". This time, I will probably put it on again in the morning, and take it off later that night. I put the patch back on the plastic, in case I should need it for rough seas later in the cruise.

I get my patches from my pharmacy (doctor Rx) for $10, because that's our co-pay for insurance. My kids use Benadryl, and it works fine for them. They usually go to bed at a decent time the first night (10pm), which is good, because DH and I are usually wiped out from either the drive or shuttle/airport/shuttle that day. Plus we're getting old ;)

Archived