Tabyana Snorkeling Question

rockbock

My family has a private tour booked with Victor Bodden and we plan to snorkel at Tabyana. We will be bringing our own masks, snorkels, and fins, but we don't have vests. Are vests available anywhere on the beach? And does anybody know the exact rental cost? I know in Chankanaab (Cozumel) there is no charge and you just need to leave them your driver's license, but I'm assuming you need to pay for them here?

And are vests absolutely necessary in this area? I'm rather be safe than sorry, but if there's no current at all, we probably don't need them.

The bay is protected by the reef. While there is usually a currently running from "east" to "west" you will not notice unless you are swimming against it. I find I don't work at all going one direction and have to work only just slightly more the other direction.

If you get out past Black Rock I suggest you be careful, the current hits the Iguana Wall and bounces past the rock, it is easy to get a bit to far out and not know it.

The weather is going to be a factor as well.

As far as vests, I hear of people renting them so it can be done. I never have so know little about it. There are plenty of dive shops on the beach, if all else fails, email a few of them to see if and at what price.

Thanks. Sounds like we won't need vests, as long as we avoid the areas with the current (which we will).

Your post prompted me to ask specifically about the current in the "big" snorkeling thread. Thanks again.

Just don't get out past Black Rock and you should be fine. The Kidney itself is not all that interesting.

Understand, you will not be the only people in the water. There are guys in kayaks out there as well, I have not decided if they are to keep the people off the reef or for rescue. There are often times boats, both dive and snorkel, moored on the outside reef.

Enjoy your visit.

We have seen many people without vests or flippers. The water is calm if you stay within the area near the "watchers" in boats and kayaks. Before you rent the vest, you might want to head out to see if you can float well enough without.

Bodden will probably drop you off a bit away from this snorkeling area on West Bay. So plan on taking a short walk along the beach to the area. NOT a big deal. You'll be walking with others:)

Archived