Hoi An or Hue Vietnam

easy spirit

For our shore excursion from the Chan May port, undecided to go either to Hoi An or to Hue. Any feedback on which way to go, regarding most picturesque or more interesting things to do for a full day tour.

Please .... NO interest in beaches (just in case there will be one around, which I do not know)

I can't help you from a cruise perspective, but we went to both Hoi An and Hue during a 3-week land trip in SE Asia. Both were interesting, but if I had to choose, I'd pick Hoi An. While very popular with tourists, Hoi An still has an authentic feel with very friendly locals. Old Town is a UNESCO heritage site and most areas are very walkable. It's a charming place to simply wander around and soak up the ambiance. A photographer's dream! There are excellent tailor shops, a vibrant waterfront market, wonderful cooking schools and tasty local specialties. There's also a lovely beach, but that's not our scene and not what Hoi An is really about. Hue is equally fascinating and historically significant as the ancient capital of Vietnam, but it's much larger and full of hustle. Just my take.

I can't help you from a cruise perspective, but we went to both Hoi An and Hue during a 3-week land trip in SE Asia. Both were interesting, but if I had to choose, I'd pick Hoi An. While very popular with tourists, Hoi An still has an authentic feel with very friendly locals. Old Town is a UNESCO heritage site and most areas are very walkable. It's a charming place to simply wander around and soak up the ambiance. A photographer's dream! There are excellent tailor shops, a vibrant waterfront market, wonderful cooking schools and tasty local specialties. There's also a lovely beach, but that's not our scene and not what Hoi An is really about. Hue is equally fascinating and historically significant as the ancient capital of Vietnam, but it's much larger and full of hustle. Just my take.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Hoi An has been my incline all the time but a friendly feedback is always appreciated.

Loved the "photographer's dream" highlight, plus the authentic feel to just wonder around city concept. My type of things to do..... I am sold.

For our shore excursion from the Chan May port, undecided to go either to Hoi An or to Hue. Any feedback on which way to go, regarding most picturesque or more interesting things to do for a full day tour.

Please .... NO interest in beaches (just in case there will be one around, which I do not know)

We have not been to Hue... but we were in Hoi An in 2011 and found it delightful.

Agree with MightyQuinn's description... it had a very authentic feel and it is definitely a 'photographer's dream'. Very easy to wander around and enjoy the sights and the people.

Do not recall seeing a beach in Hoi An... on the way back to the ship, we did make a photo stop at 'China Beach'.

Enjoy your cruise :)

Let me give a contrary point of view. Like MightyQuinn, my experience is based on a land trip. Hoi An is indeed very pleasant. However, the pleasure is mostly in just being there: strolling around the old town center and eating in the many good restaurants. These are best appreciated over several days at a relaxed pace, and I don't think a tour bus from a cruise ship would provide the same experience.

Hue, on the other hand, has some major sights: the Citadel (badly damaged in the war but under renovation/reconstruction and very picturesque, especially in the distant parts), and the tombs, temples, and river. The Thien Mu Pagoda (on the river) is attractive (even in the rain, which is almost constant). Of the tombs, those of Minh Mang and Tu Doc are good. Don't bother with Khai Dinh: this was built in the 1920s and is ugly. I don't know the geography of the cruise port, but if the route to Hue goes over the Hai Van Pass, it is spectacular.

Edited by someotherguy
Spelling

• 1 month later...

I just returned from a land trip to Vietnam and have visited both places. I second the opinion that although I much prefer Hoian for a visit, it doesn't lend itself to a cruise stop. I think, as the above posters have mentioned that Hoian is a great place to wander, have clothing made and soak up the authentic feel of Vietnam. However from a cruise perspective, Hue is full of historical sights and you will get more from your one day of visiting.

• 3 weeks later...

Vietnam is really a country that warrants a land tour vs. cruising. Just need more time than 6 hrs. in any given port! But that being said...

We did both as part of a land tour 2 yrs. ago and agree that Hoi An, if one has the time, is really delightful. Ate at 2 restaurants where they had a cooking school (can't remember names) but both were fantastic. The city is just a delight to walk around (hopefully not during typhoon season as they get regular flooding!!). Lots of shops to pop into, bridges over canals to cross, pedicabs, etc., etc.

Hue has the citadel and other historical sites but isn't as walkable.

Check roll call for your ship and see if anyone is going to do a tour separate from what the ship offers. Would be so much better to go in a small group to either place rather than a tourist bus of 40 or so. UGH!

• 4 years later...

Hi

Thank you for your information and impression of both Hoi An and Hue. We have been to Hoi An, and had heard Hue was well worth visiting. I would particularly like to visit the Citadel. We enjoyed Hoi An while we were there, but feel we do not want to visit it again, particularly as we haven't yet visited Hue.

Thank you once again,

Lyn