Passport card

I agree that the NEXUS (or similar SENTRI for Mexico) card has advantages over the passport card but there is one BIG disadvantage for some cruisers. Getting it requires an IN-PERSON interview with authorities at a few designated border crossings. Not very convenient if you live in say Colorado or Missouri, or even Maryland. I managed to get mine with a detour to the Niagara Falls office when I went to my high school reunion in upstate New York, but not the most convenient document to get. When I renew my passport I will add a card to the order, very cheap and easy. The book is great but I've had cruises where it was currently out of my hands for visa processing and it's a great backup.

While NEXUS/SENTRI are specific to Canada/Mexico for the expedited crossings they are WHTI compliant documents anywhere.

Roy

You don't get a discount if you already have the card and want the book, or vice versa. (However, you will indicate on your application that you already have a passport card.)

The discount is if you get both simultaneously, b/c you only have to pay one $25 processing fee.

Passport book & card = $140 + $25 processing = $165

Passport book = $110 + $25 processing = $135

Passport card = $30 + $25 proecssing = $55

I think I was mistaken on this.

According to wikipedia, if you already have the passport card and want the book (or vice versa) you can do it as a renewal and not pay the $25 processing fee.

Archived