Confused on Suitcase Size Restriction ????

angelndscz

Is a standard size suitcase too big? I travel overseas all the time with the weight limit of 50 lbs which is my standard size suitcase filled up. I don't get the carnival size restriction of check in being the same as carry on. Can someone explain to make this clearer?

Is a standard size suitcase too big? I travel overseas all the time with the weight limit of 50 lbs which is my standard size suitcase filled up. I don't get the carnival size restriction of check in being the same as carry on. Can someone explain to make this clearer?

If it doesn't fit through the scanner (like the ones at the airport), then you will have to check it.

I took one that was a bit bigger than a carry-on that I thought fit the size requirements, but I was turned around at the door of the terminal at Port Canaveral and was told to go back and check it.......:o

Hi! I'm a Platinum cruiser with Carnival and have never heard of that rule. I think they recommend that your checked luggage not exceed 50lbs but there are no restrictions on size (I think). I always bring my largest suitcase and an extra large duffle for junk (snorkel equip, beach bags, collapsible cooler, etc.).

You mean the scanner at security check points in airports? :confused: This is not good as all our suitcases are over that size except for my new carry-on that I will not be checking. We leave Sunday and buying new luggage just for a cruise is not reasonable. I guess duffel bags and gym bags will be pulled out. Who packs a 50lb bag that size. LOL.

The size restriction is only if you're carrying on the luggage yourself. You can check bigger pieces of luggage when you get to the pier, and they will be delivered to your room later.

The size restriction is only if you're carrying on the luggage yourself. You can check bigger pieces of luggage when you get to the pier, and they will be delivered to your room later.

That is what I am asking "Checked Baggage" size. The carnival website list the same size as carry on. So "Checked Baggage" can be normal size that I use for my airline flights.

I'm like someone said, I have never heard/read about any restrictions of 50#'s. I know my luggage is heavy, as I bring a LOT of shoes.:) I have never been turned away from Southwest Airlines (I put the large luggage under the plane), and I do a small carryon with me. As for the ship, I've never had a problem with the size/weight, and I have been cruisng for 20 years or more.

That is what I am asking "Checked Baggage" size. The carnival website list the same size as carry on. So "Checked Baggage" can be normal size that I use for my airline flights.

You will be fine "checking" any large pieces of luggage. Just as you will check those large pieces at the airport, you'll do the same when you get to the port. There will be porters on the sidewalk before you even enter the terminal building that will take all of the luggage that you don't want to carry on and bring it to your room. There are no size restrictions on your "checked" luggage at the port.

Sorry I misunderstood......yes you can "check" any size you want. We bring our biggest suitcase, loaded to the gills.

I feel sorry for the poor people having to lift that thing into bins....:o

I just looked at Carnival's website, and it says this: "Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds and not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions)."

That is much bigger than carry-on size! There is no length restriction, so it can be as long/tall as you want. Just make sure the other dimensions are less than those mentioned, and I'm sure on your regular suitcase they are.

I just looked at Carnival's website, and it says this: "Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds and not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions)."

That is much bigger than carry-on size! There is no length restriction, so it can be as long/tall as you want. Just make sure the other dimensions are less than those mentioned, and I'm sure on your regular suitcase they are.

"encouraged" is the keyword. Pack what you need and check it, you will be fine :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds confusing but you can really check a large bag. 16 inches high when laying down, 24 from handle front to attached back, and then as large (long) as you want it. I have a suitcase that fits that restriction and could weigh 75 lbs full which is why I never take one that large. They are trying to say that they recommend checking the larger bags but that you can wheel them off at the end if you want to "self-assist".

Website says:

Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds and not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions). Please attach your Carnival Cruise Lines luggage tags PRIOR to leaving home and make sure that they are still on your bags when checking in with us. In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions). This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags. Please note that Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on luggage.

Archived