Dive Operators in St. Thomas

cruzbound

Hi all,

Does anyone have any recommendations for dive operators in St. Thomas? We will be visiting via cruise ship and I like to book our own excursions, not through the cruiseline. Any names and experiences would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

cruzbound

Has anyone used Coki Beach Dive? I thought I could enjoy the beach while my husband dives.

You aren't going to be there May 1st 2013 are you?;) I'm considering diving at Coki beach while my wife enjoys the beach.

I've done the discover scuba 3 times now, once w/ Coki Beach. It was an easy dive off the beach and water depth averaged 20-25 feet. They take you over near Coral World, lots of small fish, coral just ok. My main question is: does Blue Island Divers offer anything for someone who's not yet certified? I'd love to go diving on a fairly shallow reef rather than again at Coki.

Have you thought about getting certified where you live? Sounds like you know you like to dive and it opens up a lot of options (read: good diving) and its usually takes only 2 weekends.

Discover Scuba dives are never going to the best sites because of the buoyancy issues and depth restriction.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I've done the discover scuba 3 times now, once w/ Coki Beach. It was an easy dive off the beach and water depth averaged 20-25 feet. They take you over near Coral World, lots of small fish, coral just ok. My main question is: does Blue Island Divers offer anything for someone who's not yet certified? I'd love to go diving on a fairly shallow reef rather than again at Coki.

They did allow snorkling off the same boat when I was there two years ago. It would be best to contact them and ask. They typically go to the wrecks for diving, and they're not for uncertified divers.

Have you thought about getting certified where you live? Sounds like you know you like to dive and it opens up a lot of options (read: good diving) and its usually takes only 2 weekends.

Discover Scuba dives are never going to the best sites because of the buoyancy issues and depth restriction.

Just got my card last weekend! Can't wait till early May, Did a boat Intro dive off of Buck Island last year. Looking forward to going back without the lady in the excursion who couldn't swim.

• 3 weeks later...

Hubby and I dove Coki Beach last April and loved it! There were only five in our group and the DM was very safety oriented. That said, he was wonderfully playful underwater and led a really fun dive. (Ask for Brian if he's still there.) It's a shallow dive, but the reef is *right* there, so we saw lots of sea life -- sea cucumbers, urchins, sea stars, fish, etc.; some nice soft corals... One advantage is that we still had a lot of things to look at even while doing our safety stop. Because it's shallow, there were lots of snorkelers, if your wife is into that. Enjoy! We are going to St. Thomas in December and may end up back at Coki Beach.

I had a strange experience with BLUE ISLAND DIVERS. The day before we were to arrive in ST thomas, I had a message on my phone asking me to call Blue island. I called them while is San Juan PR. They stated that our dive was cancelled due to an approaching hurricane to ST THOMAS. he said the other people I was diving with already cancelled due to the weather. So I cancelled as well.

My next step was to go to the pursur's desk and ask them the weather. when I told them what BLue Island said they looked at me like I was nuts! THERE WAS NO HURRICANE! NOT EVEN A WARNING!

Its my opinion that the other divers cancelled and he did not want to take out one diver. I can understand that! Just wish he didn't lie to me. Having said that, I think I will TRY to book them again, but I'm a little hesitant about them.

Until that happened I heard nothing but great things about them. That's why I booked them to begin with. Guess we will just wait and see what I will do

I just dove with Blue Island on Tuesday, and they told me the hurricane just skirted them. I think they were being cautious, and that's good, although a bummer for sure. In fact, the visibility still was affected. Usually it's about 100 feet there, and it was only about 30 to 40 feet instead.

Even on a calm day, which is what it was when we there, the water is very choppy and it can be rough getting back on their boat due to the design of the ladder.

I still highly recommend Blue Island, we had a blast on a three-tank dive and they took good care of us.

I only found it weird because St Thomas for the day said nothing but sun when I went. There was no warning for St thomas, not even an a cloudy sky.

Like I stated, i might book Blue Island divers again, i just hope they actually go through the dive

I have thought about getting certified and may do it, but unfortunately it'll be next year. I think I'll check w/ Blue Island. I've also found Aqua Action (?) on Secret Harbor that does a Discover Scuba off a boat rather than off the beach. I may check w/ them as well. If I don't dive, then Secret Harbor apparently has excellent snorkeling off the beach as a 2nd option. Thanks!

They did allow snorkling off the same boat when I was there two years ago. It would be best to contact them and ask. They typically go to the wrecks for diving, and they're not for uncertified divers.

Thanks! I'll contact them and see what they have as an option. I also found Aqua Action Dive out of Secret Harbor and may go with them. Their Discover Scuba does dive off a boat and not just off a beach so that's a plus. Sounds like you've had good luck w/ Blue Island and I really appreciate the recommendation.

I went with Blue Island Divers in November 2010 and had a great time. I'm rebooked with them for next month on a three-tank dive. I highly recommend them!

Thanks that is the way I intend to go. I'll report back in May.

I also highly recommend Blue Island Divers, and will be diving with them again during my upcoming cruise. They met me at the end of the same pier the boat was docked at (Havensight).

I booked it this weekend. Since I'm on Allure, we come into Crown's Point and they are located at that dock, just a short walk to the dive shop.

Just so you know, when we were there a couple of weeks ago, they didn't have a dive shop. They had closed their old one and were in the process of opening at another location in the same complex. Their boat (Barefoot Diver) is still moored in front of where their old shop used to be, which is now a Marine Supplies store. Just meet them there, if their new shop isn't open when you are there.

Just so you know, when we were there a couple of weeks ago, they didn't have a dive shop. They had closed their old one and were in the process of opening at another location in the same complex. Their boat (Barefoot Diver) is still moored in front of where their old shop used to be, which is now a Marine Supplies store. Just meet them there, if their new shop isn't open when you are there.

Good to know, I looked around on their website and understand what you are saying. I'm sure I'll be corresponding with them, especially once April gets here, so thanks for the heads up.

Archived