5th wedding anniversary-deciding between RCCI, DCL & Celebrity

sweetp09

DH and I are considering a cruise for our 5th wedding anniversary (about 1 1/2 away, but I like to research and make an educated decision). He has never cruised before. I have cruised 3 times, all DCL. I loved the clean adult entertainment, spa treatments and Rainforest room and top notch service (not only at dinner, but our stateroom steward and everyone else on the ship for that matter). DH isn't head over heals for Disney in general, he didn't really like the parks though he never made it to EPCOT. I am not crazy for Disney, but appreciate the level of service and quality and have enjoyed all of the cruises. After hearing me rave about my DCL cruises he is certainly willing to give it a try. I am just wondering if Disney would be a good fit for us or if another cruise line would be a better choice. I am also looking into Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. I have posted this on their boards also, but thought it might be advantageous to post on this specific board also.

Celebrity has the AquaClass spa staterooms that I would love. I love to get to a spa when I have the opportunity and think this would be interesting to try, but DH is not really interested in the spa and certainly will not get any treatments. Does the spa offer a Turkish bath type area (heated lounge chairs, sauna/steamrooms, etc.) that can be used without purchasing a spa treatment (I expect a charge unless staying in the AquaClass stateroom) It also has some dining options and activities that look interesting (wine and food pairings, cooking competitions), plus some very nice itineraries. I am just not sure if there would be enough activities during the day for us to enjoy together (mini golf, table tennis, library, ice skating, etc.) that Royal Caribbean offers. Do they often offer wine tasting or cooking or dancing classes onboard and if so, what are the charges?

However, Royal Caribbean's Eastern Caribbean itineraries are very disappointing for early 2014 and late 2014 isn't out yet (I don't ever want to go back to Nassau or St. Maarten as I have never been thrilled with them the first two times), but their onboard activities look amazing (mini golf, zip line, rock climbing, ice skating, etc.). They don't have spa suites (though neither does DCL and we would have to see if we could even afford one anyway) and I am not sure of the spa quality or cost of treatments. One thing that I loved about Disney was I could still use their Rainforest room, which included heated lounge chairs, saunas/steamrooms, lemon or cucumber water and tea (for a charge) without getting a treatment. Is there something available on the Oasis class ships?

Then there is DCL of course, which is the only line I have tried, but has amazing service and quality with itineraries that interest us, though the activities seem lacking compared to Royal Caribbean.

We are in our late 20's, but have a wide range of interests, from mini golf, sports and movies to things that aren't necessarily targeted for our demographic (spa, wine tastings, cooking classes, dance classes, etc.).

Which cruise line would you recommend?

Edited by sweetp09

I can't speak for Disney or Celebrity but having been on Oasis and Allure recently, they are absolutely amazing ships. You would have a great time on either of them. So many fun things to do and the shows are great as well.

I would choose none of the above.

Look at Regent, Wind Star, Seabourn or the Paul Gaughin.

Don't bother with the Caribbean, instead use this time of your life to explore Europe, Tahiti, or Australia/New Zealand.

When comparing prices, consider that often items like gratuities, wine/alcohol, shore excursions, specialty dining, soda, bottled water, and various on board activities are included in the price versus having to pay for each item on the lines you are considering--those costs can really add up.

One advantage DCL has over some other lines is the ability to bring on as much wine as you'd like with no corkage for in room consumption and a small corkage fee to bring it to dinner with you, although some if not all of the lines I mentioned previously have the same policy.

All of the main cruise lines on board spas are run by the same independent company, Steiner. So, the products and the treatments will be pretty much the same whichever cruiseline you sail on. On Celebrity, the area with the heated beds is called the Persian Gardens.

I too would branch out of the Caribbean at this point, especially if you don't have kids. There are some amazing places that you can go on a cruise.

Thank you for the responses and input.

I didn't know that about the spas. If that is the case, are the treatments worth it, or are they not very good?

I would love to go somewhere other than the Caribbean (especially Hawaii), but it is the only destination that is in our budget.

I've had spa treatments that were fabulous and others that were OK.

One that's never been disappointing is hot stone massage, although some therapists do it differently than others, and I've had some that were better than others.

Some therapists will push product, just tell them from the start that you are satisfied with your current skin and body care regimen so you aren't interested in purchasing their products.

If I was your age I would pick RCCL. Don't be so sure Hawaii is not in your budget. Keep watching prices and you will be surprised. Every once in a while an amazing price shows up. We love all three of the cruise lines you are considering but for your age group (and I am lots older than you) I vote for RCCL.

Sue :)

I would probably look at other lines than DCL. For the money, the value just isn't there. Most all cruise lines offer great service, RCCL is great, as is NCL many others. Do your research from a price perspective, itinerary and on board activities. NCL will be bringing the Breakaway out next year RCCL has great ships as well. Disney has adult areas, but little for adults to do other than hit the bars, a few "tastings" and a couple of "adult" shows (PG-13 actually). Their stops in the Caribbean are a little tired (Nassau...ugh). Any line you choose, you'll have fun, but go for the most bang for your buck and then plow those savings back into cool excursions, premium dining etc. Have fun!

Excuse me ---- but WHY would you pick an anniversary cruise with literally 100's of kids running around ??? You may love the Disney cruises you have done but there are other very nice cruise lines to try --- we love Celebrity for the food and the Thaalosomy pool (spelling) is AMAZING and free. Love all the different stuff to do on RCCL but not crazy about the nickel/diming on the Oasis and Allure. Princess's food was great but we didn't care for the VERY alouff reception by officiers/crew. With HAL you can bring as much wine on board you wish --- although you probably will be among the younger age group.

How about Bermuda -- Panama Canal -- New England in the Fall --- even different parts of the Caribbean you have not visited before ? Whether you enjoy the port days or just stay onboard for the peace and quiet is entirely your choice.

As you love the spa so much --- choose days the ship is in port to take advantage of "specials".

Whatever you decide --- Happy Anniversary !

Excuse me ---- but WHY would you pick an anniversary cruise with literally 100's of kids running around ???

That's like asking why would someone go to WDW for their honeymoon? Because they want do.

OP we're looking to do the EXACT thing for our 5th anniversary as well, one month earlier in December. We want to do a balcony and are looking at an eastern itinerary as well. We're looking at Fantasy. However, as much as I love the mouse and it would be awesome to go on DCL as we honeymooned in WDW, the cost is a factor. So I looked at newer ships on the same itinerary and dates with different lines and we're still thinking Fantasy is for us, NCL is a close second. Here's why:

-We could do Dream, however, we went to the Bahamas this year on RCL. I didn't pay attention to the port times and it wouldn't have been beneficial financially or time wise to do Atlantis then. In December the weather is hit or miss and we do not want to go to the Bahamas for a third time to enjoy Atlantis.

-In my research that time of year is perfect for the eastern Caribbean. Also we're doing a western itinerary this November on CCL and we don't want to repeat itinerarys just yet (our first cruise was in May)

- When comparing CCL, NCL, and RCL to Disney CCL Dream is the cheapest for a balcony, like $400 per person cheaper. However, we don't know if we want to do Carnival. We'll see how we feel after our cruise in November. RCL Oasis and NCL Gem and Epic are similar in price to Disney. I will give NCL credit as the Dominican Republic is added to their itinerary. RCL and CCL I think still go to the Bahamas, however none of the three go to their private island.

- We like that we can bring on alcohol, not just wine, and pop is included. DH lasted on our cruise in May without pop but that was a 3 day. He would lose it for any longer. Being able to enjoy a mimosa, margarita, etc on our balcony is sooooo fantastic to us. The fact that were not just assigned to one dinning room each night is also great. I understand each line has specialty restaurants, but if we want to stick to the rotation this is a better option.

-Staterooms. Doubt Carnival is an option. I don't like the fact that they have shower curtains instead of sliding doors. I know Disney does as well but I think the way the shower area is set up will mimic a normal bathtub shower combination at home, which I can deal with. And it doesn't look like Carnival Dream has chairs on their balcony, at least it appeared that way from the YouTube reviews.

- Let's be honest...it's Disney. We realized what we loved about WDW was the experience. For the sake of rides we prefer US/IOA. This is why we decided to look at a cruise instead of going back to the parks.

So all in all its up to you.

Excuse me ---- but WHY would you pick an anniversary cruise with literally 100's of kids running around ??? You may love the Disney cruises you have done but there are other very nice cruise lines to try --- !

I don't see your point.

We went to Disneyland for our 20th anniversary. Park view room at the Grand Californian, dinner at Club 33 and Napa Rose, fireworks every night. I gave my wife a platinum ring while sitting next to the Goofy statue in the hub at sunset, my favorite time at Disneyland.

It was a great way to celebrate with 50,000 other people.

• 2 years later...
I am just wondering if Disney would be a good fit for us or if another cruise line would be a better choice. I am also looking into Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

Just curious - what did you choose? Did it meet your expectations?

Just curious - what did you choose? Did it meet your expectations?

Since OP started this thread over 2 years ago, and most recent postings were on the Celebrity board, I'm not sure they still check in here.

Hope you get an answer.

On the other hand, since they seem to be spending most of their time on the Celebrity board, that in itself may answer the question.

Edited by Shmoo here