B2B with day in Whittier - Alaska Railroad?

Whirlybird

We are on a 14 day B2B next week on Princess and will be in Whittier on Saturday August 4 until 8:30pm. We are considering taking the Alaska Railroad departing 12:45pm from Whittier arriving Grandview at 3:20pm, then take the train from Grandview at 3:30pm arriving back in Whittier at 5:30pm. Cost is $90 pp showing on the Alaska Railroad website. Does this sound feasible? Is the railroad reliable? Would it be a scenic tour?

We are on a 14 day B2B next week on Princess and will be in Whittier on Saturday August 4 until 8:30pm. We are considering taking the Alaska Railroad departing 12:45pm from Whittier arriving Grandview at 3:20pm, then take the train from Grandview at 3:30pm arriving back in Whittier at 5:30pm. Cost is $90 pp showing on the Alaska Railroad website. Does this sound feasible? Is the railroad reliable? Would it be a scenic tour?

For about the same price you can take a four or six hour boat trip right out of Whittier to the glaciers of Prince William Sound. I rode the train with my brother from Anchorage to Seward a few weeks ago and it's nothing to get excited about when compared to the glacier trips.

For about the same price you can take a four or six hour boat trip right out of Whittier to the glaciers of Prince William Sound. I rode the train with my brother from Anchorage to Seward a few weeks ago and it's nothing to get excited about when compared to the glacier trips.

My mistake - I meant to say that the Spencer Glacier/Grandview stops are nothing to get excited about compared to the sights you will see on a Prince William Sound boat trip.

We did the same trip a couple of years ago and opted to rent a car from Avis in Whittier for the day and explore on our own. Unless the train offers some exceptionally scenic viewing you might find you enjoy the option of having your own vehicle to go where you want to go at your own pace.

Archived