Pirate Night in Alaska?

JVD85

Packing for Alaska, wonder if there is pirate night. We were on the Magic in the fall and enjoyed the pirate night festivities and was wondering if Alaska will have something similar (minus the fire works and late night buffet)

Packing for Alaska, wonder if there is pirate night. We were on the Magic in the fall and enjoyed the pirate night festivities and was wondering if Alaska will have something similar (minus the fire works and late night buffet)

When we sailed to Alaska with Disney last year there was a pirate night, but for environmental reasons there are no fireworks.

I just got back and was surprised at the number of people that actually dressed up for pirate night (when compared to the Mexican Riviera trip last year). It will be held on deck 3 midship. We had great weather the entire cruise, so not sure why it was indoors. But no fireworks. The ship won't even blast the horn after it leaves Seattle, and in very few areas will it be allowed to use the speakers. Alaska is very particular about noise and any other environmental disruptions.

I just got back and was surprised at the number of people that actually dressed up for pirate night (when compared to the Mexican Riviera trip last year). It will be held on deck 3 midship. We had great weather the entire cruise, so not sure why it was indoors. But no fireworks. The ship won't even blast the horn after it leaves Seattle, and in very few areas will it be allowed to use the speakers. Alaska is very particular about noise and any other environmental disruptions.

They probably just keep the pirate night indoors for Alaska because, in most cases, the weather just won't cooperate. It's easier to schedule the night activities indoors and leave it that way, then to schedule it for outdoors and have to scramble to do it indoors.

Alaska weather is notorious for it's "if you don't like the weather, wait a minute" ability. It can be sunny one minute and rainy/foggy 5 minutes later.

:)

The ship won't even blast the horn after it leaves Seattle, and in very few areas will it be allowed to use the speakers. Alaska is very particular about noise and any other environmental disruptions.

Is there a reason why they didn't blow their horns? Disney has the most unique horn of any ship that I know of. I understand about Alaska and noise control but I am not sure why Seattle would permit such.

Is there a reason why they didn't blow their horns? Disney has the most unique horn of any ship that I know of. I understand about Alaska and noise control but I am not sure why Seattle would permit such.

I don't really understand the question, but the no horn thing is because of the noise pollution and the possibility of the vibrations causing environmental damage. At least for the Alaska/Inside Passage part of the cruise.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Just disembarked Wonder on 7/30. As the other posters said, Pirate night is indoors in the Atrium - likely due to a combination of the weather and the noise control. For us, it was on Thursday night (Juneau port day, on board at 2:00 pm). The festivities start with character greetings in the mid-afternoon with Captain Hook and Jack Sparrow as well as the other more traditional characters with priate attire on. At dinner, there is a pirate themed menu in all three of the main dining rooms and your servers give you pirate scarves and tie them for you. The servers take the kids on a parade around the dining room complete with limbo. Many of the kids and some adults are dressed up in pirate attire (simple to very elaborate) all afternoon and evening. The Pirates in the Caribbean party starts at 10:00 pm. Our boys (ages 6 and 8) were so wiped out after the day in port and afternoon in the kid's club, dinner and the Toy Story show that they asked to go to bed instead of doing the party. I wish that they could schedule this for an earlier time in Alaska, but understand that it is hard to do much earlier it with the two dinner seatings.

Archived