Naples (Salerno)

squaremimi

We will be on the Serenade of the Seas in September and for the Naples port, it show Naples (Salerno), does anyone know whether this is the one that is close to the ferry terminal at Mole Beverello where we can take the hydrofoils to Capri? Thanks!

If your itinerary says Salerno that's where you'll be docked, about 35 miles southeast of Naples.

Alicost runs boats from Salerno to Capri at 8:10 (arrives 9:40) and 8:40 (arrives 10:50), with the return departing at 5:15 and arriving at 6:25.

More information here: http://www.alicost.it/content/?id=6

Thank you, Euro Cruiser. I think the return time is not good for us since we want to be back earlier. Do you know other than Capri, are there any other places we can go DIY if docking @ Salerno? Thanks in advance.

Sure, you can easily visit the Amalfi Coast, Pompei or Paestum from Salerno.

There are both buses and boats from Salerno to Amalfi and Positano, and the train to either Pompei or Paestum.

For lines and times see here:

http://www.travelmar.it/linee/default.asp

http://www.gescab.it/linee/default.asp

Bus: http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/public/tpl/campania/5120.pdf

We find it absolutely absurd that any cruise line would port a port as Naples (Salerno) and figure whatever "genius" at the cruise line that used this terminology is geographically challenged. As EuroCruiser pointed out, these two cities are a good 35 miles apart and have no relationship to each other. It is almost like the cruise lines want to totally confuse their passengers (and perhaps sell more excursions).

Hank

Thank you Euro cruiser for the websites, but since it's in Italian, I really can't understand them all, but I will google it see if I can get the same info in English and see if it's easy enough to do it by ourselves. ^_^

And Hank, I totally agree with you, I think the cruise line just wants to confuse us. I was very happy (at the very beginning) to get those information about how to go to Capri from Naples from this board and I think it's easy enough. HOWEVER, later when I found out the port is Naples (Salerno), I began to think may be it's not the same one as Naples. And since I don't know Italian, I'm thinking whether we should take those tours because if something happened, I don't know how to communicate with them and most important is we don't want to miss the ship!

We hired a car that took us to the Amalfi coast. I am sorry you are going to Salerno, but theres a good possibility that the ship willoffer a shuttle to Naples proper b/c u are s'posed to be docked in NAPLES--NOT Salerno....This was done last year on Celebrity---don't remember if a shuttle was offered--I think so--it might have been $30 pp.

Thank you, Euro Cruiser. I think the return time is not good for us since we want to be back earlier. Do you know other than Capri, are there any other places we can go DIY if docking @ Salerno? Thanks in advance.

Hi, same thing happened to us on the Equinox last summer, we docked in Salerno not Naples. We took the ferry to Positano, it was great, very scenic as you are close to the coastline. Just a word of warning we went back a little early to do some shopping in Salerno and probably 75% of the shops were closed mid afternoon. We should have stopped in Amalfi on the way back. Since the port is very industrial Celebrity had buses which stopped right at the ferry terminal. On the return the ferry drops you in downtown Salerno but again Celebrity had buses to take us to the ship.

Archived