?cruising alone with 2 and 5 year old- advice please!

bobo5551

Thinking about a cruise on Fantasy near the end of August. My dh would stay behind and reno our fireplace (messy messy so I want to leave!). Not sure how it would go with the two kids in tow. Wondering about navigating buffets etc. I've cruised before but not with both kids! Advice appreciated!

Thanks

hi!

I posted a similar question about cruising alone with my young children. Someone brought up a point I had not thought of. What if you got sick/hurt/ something happened to you on the cruise? Who would be there for your kids? In the end, the thought of that was too much for me to think about, so I decided to bring my mom :) Logistically, you can totally do it- and I would not hesitate with a 2 yr old and 5 yr old logistically. It was just the thought of if something were to happen to me that stopped me.

hi!

I posted a similar question about cruising alone with my young children. Someone brought up a point I had not thought of. What if you got sick/hurt/ something happened to you on the cruise? Who would be there for your kids? In the end, the thought of that was too much for me to think about, so I decided to bring my mom :) Logistically, you can totally do it- and I would not hesitate with a 2 yr old and 5 yr old logistically. It was just the thought of if something were to happen to me that stopped me.

That is a extremely valid reason to not cruise alone with kids. Think of the safety of your children before indulging for your own selfish pleasure.

A lot can go wrong on the way to the ship , on the ship and on the return journey.You could fall sick on the ship which happens often, or you could fall off the ship , which happens often or you could have accident to and fro from the ship to your house.

Is it worth it ?

With two small children, I might just try to skip the buffet and stick with table service. If you really wanted to do the buffet, you could put the 2 year old in an umbrella stroller and I'm sure a cast member would help you manage your tray, if necessary.

There are a number of quick service food stations on the pool deck that also would be convenient.

Your 5 year old will probably love the kids club and there are open times where you can go in with the 2 year old and everyone can play together. If you wanted some time for yourself, you could take advantage of the nursery and go to the spa or Palo/Remy for dinner.

There are not a lot of things for a 2 year old to "do", so you will definitely have her/him with you most of the time. As long as that doesn't sound like a drag to you, it's totally doable.

I only have one child and would not hesitate to go on a cruise with her leaving my husband home. 2 kids seems daunting to me, but I'm sure it will be no problem for you!

Gary from PA - you're kidding, right? "Selfish desire???" Trust me - if I had selfish desires, I wouldn't be going on Disney. I'm taking my child on Disney for her - not for me! You sound like someone who thinks women can't take care of themselves - rubbish! I'm a single parent and DON'T always have a 2nd adult to travel with - nor would I want to. I've traveled the world with and without my child and always plan ahead and take precautions. Geesh!!!

Hmmm, I wonder how Gary feels about kids being left behind with a parent when the other parent is deployed? Often they are on a base far, far away from their families and friends and don't know anyone--sometimes even in a foreign country!

:::shakes head:::

OP, how do you handle taking your kids to the grocery store or mall? It's no different.

You might want to consider booking some nursery time for the younger one so you can spend some pool time with the older one--that's the biggest issue I can see, because you need to monitor the five year old in the pool, but the two year old might not be allowed in it if not fully trained.

I'd avoid the buffets and use the sit down restaurants instead. And don't be afraid to order room service and eat in your cabin.

Only you know your kids. If they are generally easy to manage, go for it. But if they are high maintenance and trying to manage both of them in a strange situation will be stressful, I'd either try to find another adult to take along, or consider a different getaway.

Show your work on this math problem, please. I'd love to see the stats you think you know on this "problem."

I don't think I've ever seen a report of someone falling off a ship by accident unless they were doing something incredibly stupid or were incredibly drunk--which I guess falls under the auspices of incredibly stupid. It certainly doesn't happen "often."

Yes. Most definitely not something that happens so frequently that you should plan trips around it happening.

I don't see random people flinging themselves or others overboard dozens of times each year. In fact, I doubt you see it happening TIMES each year.

Does anyone remember the story about the dripping wet 14 year old appearing on the gangway in St. Thomas--the one who's room key showed he was already on the ship? I think it was the Magic, but it could have been the Wonder. Must have been around 11-12 years ago...

Definitely get some Navigators and have an idea of what you plan to do each day. Book nursery time in advance to get some time to yourself or with just one child. DH and I did the buffet with 20 month old DS several times, but it was really nice when we were able to do sit-down meals for bfast and lunch. Seemed much easier - and that was with 2 of us!

You will definitely need a stroller. Doubles are hard to navigate except in the ports, so I would plan for just one stroller and keep walking to a minimum for your older child or let them switch.

I would try to bring Grandma or a friend if possible, but I think it would be manageable if you go on your own, if you plan ahead and do the seated dining as another poster suggested. The 5 y/o is old enough to help by that point, so maybe just get one of those dreaded leashes for your 2 y/o.

Anyone who thinks someone who takes two little kids on a Disney vacation with no help is doing it for selfish pleasure, probably doesn't have kids or doesn't remember what it was like!

I would try to bring Grandma or a friend if possible, but I think it would be manageable if you go on your own, if you plan ahead and do the seated dining as another poster suggested. The 5 y/o is old enough to help by that point, so maybe just get one of those dreaded leashes for your 2 y/o.

Anyone who thinks someone who takes two little kids on a Disney vacation with no help is doing it for selfish pleasure, probably doesn't have kids or doesn't remember what it was like!

I'd rather see a child on a "leash" than darting around and falling into a pool or slipping on a wet deck or getting caught up under someone's feet. Two years old's can be slippery little things, especially when wet... :D

I'd rather see a child on a "leash" than darting around and falling into a pool or slipping on a wet deck or getting caught up under someone's feet. Two years old's can be slippery little things, especially when wet... :D

Agreed--plus they have cute "leashes" like monkeys and bears that are adorable

That is a extremely valid reason to not cruise alone with kids. Think of the safety of your children before indulging for your own selfish pleasure.

A lot can go wrong on the way to the ship , on the ship and on the return journey.You could fall sick on the ship which happens often, or you could fall off the ship , which happens often or you could have accident to and fro from the ship to your house.

Is it worth it ?

People FALL of the ship OFTEN.....really ???, I have never seen it, yes I have heard of the occasional drunken college fool jumping off the ship but really bro !!! To the OP, go and have a great time with your kids, kids club is awesome for them. Bring a friend or parent along if you want an extra pair of hands. Have a great time and do indulge as much as possible in selfish pleasure !!!:D

People FALL of the ship OFTEN.....really ???, I have never seen it, yes I have heard of the occasional drunken college fool jumping off the ship but really bro !!! To the OP, go and have a great time with your kids, kids club is awesome for them. Bring a friend or parent along if you want an extra pair of hands. Have a great time and do indulge as much as possible in selfish pleasure !!!:D

Don't let this scare anyone out of a cruise but yes, people die on cruise ships just as the die at WDW and die every day on the job, at home and at work.

Note how many deaths are alcohol-related and how overboards, when known are usually preceeded by someone being stupid on the rail.

http://www.cruiseshipdeaths.com/

Archived