Santiago for continuing passengers

nreeder

We are on Star Princess from Buenos Aires to Los Angeles in February, 2013. For us the stop in Santiago is not "embarcation" or "debarcation" like it is for some other passengers. What we are looking for is a tour company or guide that can take us out to wineries as well as other things. Princess offers 3 winery tours that day to "debarcation" passengers, but not for "continuing" passengers.

They do offer us long tours i.e. 10.5 hours on one of them, so it isn't the time that's the issue. Can someone recomend a tour company or guide in Santiago that can help us?

Thanks

Norm

Allow me to suggest a wonderful bilingual guide. His name is Leonardo Cuzmar. He has lived in the US and he can be reached via email at guideschile@gmail.com His prices are fair and can tailor a day for you based on your interests and can meet you at the cruise terminal in Valparaiso. I can't say enough good things about him and his associate Juan. You can read my review here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18148075-post2.html

Try Al Ramirez for your winery tour. He has taken the wine connasieur (S-sp???) course and is extremely knowledgeable about Chilean wines. On top of that his English is perfect as he was educated in New York for 12 years. He is from Chile, moved to New York and then came back to Chile.

We used Christian, the Van Man, www.thevanmanadventures.com or christianroymx@hotmail.com

and were very pleased.

He picked us up at the Santiago airport and we toured the city. He has a nice large van and speaks English. The following day he was busy, but he had a driver and an English speaking guide pick us up at our hotel, we toured Vina Del Mar, had lunch then on to the port in Valpariso.

Reasonably priced and dependable.

Hi Norm

I have been in contact with a guide from Valparaiso. he is to get back to me on Monday about tours I am in the States at the moment and would not have time to study his plan until we go back home.

We are also the same couple that will see you at Igazu falls.

But if you find a tour that looks interesting please email me at

srasyinis@bell.net

sharon

Hi Sharon

I tried to e-mail you using the above link but it bounced back. I had contacted Leonardo Cuzmar based on this thread and on TripAdvisor recommendations. Turns out he himself isn't available that day but offered to arrange for another of his guides. I e-mailed him back with some further questions but don't have a reply yet. Will post both his first reply and my questions below (we haven't committed to anything yet):

Hi Norm Reeder

Thank you for your e-mail !

I will check my agenda to see if I have that day available

I am right now Guiding a tour in the Ski Resort

Soon I have a little time I will back to you

I do Wine Tour and Valparaiso Tour in one day, the number of people is not problem for me, more people less expensive !

Just to have a idea !

Valparaiso and Wine Tour with premium tasting at http://www.casasdelbosque.cl winery

Cost U$150 per persons

Include

Private Transportation

Private English Tour Guide

Wine Tour & Premium Tasting

Mineral Water

100 % Flexible !

I wait for any comments or questions

Thank you !

Best Regards

Leonardo Cuzmar

Bilingual Tour Guide & Private Tours

Cell. Phone 56 9 91390672

e-mail : guideschile@gmail.com

Site : https://sites.google.com/site/privatetoursguideschile/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294305-i2020-k3537418-Excellent_Personalized_Guide_Service_Received_in_Santiago-Santiago.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294305-i2020-k4334955-Fantastic_Santiago_guide-Santiago.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294305-i2020-k4047443-Guide_recommendation-Santiago.html

I’m sorry you aren’t available. I do have some additional questions before we commit:

1. Is it possible to visit more than one winery that day, but still include Valparaiso? It would be nice to visit a couple if the schedule works.

2. Would lunch somewhere be included or cost extra?

3. How do we pay? Via credit card or cash only? If we have trouble beforehand and need to cancel how far in advance can we do so? (I’m assuming we have no accidents for the two weeks before we would stop there, but there’s certainly no guarantee of that.)

4. Can you outline what we would see in Valparaiso?

5. There are excellent reviews of when you guide the tours from people on TripAdvisor and CruiseCritic. Do members of your staff, especially whoever you would choose for this tour also have “reviews” on the net?

When we get these answers we can share them with some of the other passengers we are talking to on CruiseCritic to see how many would be interested in joining us if it works out.

Thanks

Norm

Sharon

Here's the answers to my above questions from Leonardo. We haven't signed up yet but will wait for what you also find out. Then we can share with the entire CruiseCritic thread. I don't want ot put this out on the thread and undercut what you are also working on.

Norm

Hello Norm and Maureen Reeder !

1- of course is possible to visit more than one winery including Valparaiso Tour

2- Lunch is not include

3- To hold your Reservation just deposit U$100 and the balance you pay when you arrive in Chile by Credit Card

4- In Valparaiso you will see

National Congress

Plaza Sotomayor

Elevator Artilleria

Mirador 21 May to see the Bay

Old Mansions where the rich people lived

And more interesting stops

5- All my staff are excellent Tour Guides I selected by my self (is not easy get in but is super easy get out if they work with me if they don't do well )

I hope you are ok with my answers, if you have more questions Please let me know !

Thank you !

Best Regards

Leonardo Cuzmar

Bilingual Tour Guide & Private Tours

Cell. Phone 56 9 91390672

e-mail : guideschile@gmail.com

Site : https://sites.google.com/site/privatetoursguideschile/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294305-i2020-k3537418-Excellent_Personalized_Guide_Service_Received_in_Santiago-Santiago.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294305-i2020-k4334955-Fantastic_Santiago_guide-Santiago.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294305-i2020-k4047443-Guide_recommendation-Santiago.html

Hi Norm

Did not see where he said he was not available?

Don't worry if Leonardo, himself, is not available. We had one of his associates (Juan) for part of our sightseeing and he was excellent. Juan has perfect English, was extremely flexible & knowledgeable and had a large, comfortable SUV.

We are on Star Princess from Buenos Aires to Los Angeles in February, 2013. For us the stop in Santiago is not "embarcation" or "debarcation" like it is for some other passengers. What we are looking for is a tour company or guide that can take us out to wineries as well as other things. Princess offers 3 winery tours that day to "debarcation" passengers, but not for "continuing" passengers.

They do offer us long tours i.e. 10.5 hours on one of them, so it isn't the time that's the issue. Can someone recomend a tour company or guide in Santiago that can help us?

Thanks

Norm

We are in Valparaiso port for a day(not disembarking) on the Grand Princess February 2013 and would very much like some advice on what tour companies operate a day tour to Santiago and return to Valparaiso.

We would really appreciate any help for online links or email addresses as most tours from the ship only include areas around Valparaiso and environs and have sold out the ONLY tour Valparaiso/ Santiago/Valparaiso.

Thanks and Kindest regards

Lyn :)

We used Chris from Chileanjourneys. He and his driver had a wonderful van and both were very gracious hosts for our 3 days after disembarkation.

I would suggest that you have a private guide pick you up in Valpo and tour the wonderful elevators up to the area just above the port. So great to look out at your ship from above and this city and it's port and elevators are good enough for 1000 places to see before you die inclusion.

We were so disappointed that we could not go to Easter Island and Chris took us to the Chilean National Museum where there is an actual head and the little museum behind it was truly a gem and we were completely alone with a guide who explained the exhibits wonderfully.

The road following the ocean is truly beautiful and we had a spectacular day weatherwise. You would still have time for a very nice winery lunch and then back to the ship. The wine area seemed to be less than an hour away.

Santiago was nice but nothing spectacular (we stayed overnight) IMHO. Santiago is about 70 minutes from the coast on a modern 6 lane highway that does not have a much outstanding to see-- small towns, fruit groves, vineyards but not very scenic. Thinking back the best Chile memories were the hills of Valpo and the coast line overviews of the sea and sunshine. We did not do winery but they are close and have good reputations for lovely tours and tastings. The distances are not far but it would take a guide and driver to make the most of your time. The van we used would probably hold 6 maybe more.

Then as you get back on your ship. SMILE and thank your lucky stars that you do not have to deal with the chaos of the Santiago airport:eek::eek: Enjoy your trip. I would go on this trip again in a heartbeat.

I second Bowie's recommendation -- there is a lot to see in Valparaiso/Vina, and wasting a chunk of your day on the highway to

Santiago is not a great way to use your time. Make sure to visit

Pablo Neruda's house on the hill overlooking the city.:)

Archived