Ft. Lauderdale Port: Major frustration

We just got back from a wonderful two weeks on Carnival Freedom! I have to say though, as a port, Ft. Lauderdale is a mess! It literally took us an hour and 12 minutes to get from the ship to a taxi this morning and we were zone 1 ...meaning, we were one of the first ones off after self-assist! It was HORRID! Congested, no porter lines, long lines for everyone at every turn, HOT, 1 fan in the building, slow, few (2) customs officers for over 3000 guests, More long lines, what a nightmare! Just as we got to the customs officer, they added two more! (Thank goodness for the others!) I thought Miami was bad until this experience.

Tampa really is a breeze to go through and so much more organized. And I overheard one guy tell his wife that every port was like this! NOT! We have been off the ship, grabbed our luggage and gotten a taxi in under 10 minutes several times! Never more than 15 minutes.

I realize a new terminal is being built but we also got that "it might be a long time" before it is done from both the porter and the taxi driver. Today's experience will definitely affect future sailings out of Ft. Lauderdale for us!

The only horrible debarkation I ever had was in FLL as well. It sounds like your problem - as was mine - was related to Customs.

I was on a cruise that returned the day after Thanksgiving and it took FOREVER on that line! I was getting worried I would miss my flight which was out of FLL in the mid-afternoon :eek: Every now and then a Customs staff would address the line and apologize saying that they were short staffed due to people calling out :rolleyes: I have to say, Carnival staff did a good job! I had purchased Carnival transfer to the airport for that trip and even though the bus was not filled up they left for the airport so people would not miss their flights.

I have sailed out of FLL a couple of times since then and never had a problem. In fact, the last time we breezed through the whole process from the leaving the ship to the parking lot in under 15 minutes!

I had thought that our issue was due to the day after a holiday but maybe Customs in FLL is hit or miss?

P.S......will you be writing a review?? With pics??? :) I loved the Freedom and found its decor to be so much fun!

Ugh,

We're sailing out of FLL in a couple weeks.... hopefully we don't have too much trouble getting off....

Its DH's first cruise, and i've tried to emotionally prep him for the long lines....

i've always thought thats the worst part about cruising.....

That stinks ending your wonderful cruise in this way.

This is actually my favorite port to enter and leave.

Never once had a problem...sounds like something went wrong. Maybe they had custom personnel call out sick or something. Sorry you had to go through this.

Ugh,

We're sailing out of FLL in a couple weeks.... hopefully we don't have too much trouble getting off....

Its DH's first cruise, and i've tried to emotionally prep him for the long lines....

i've always thought thats the worst part about cruising.....

We have never had a problem getting a taxi fast. When you enter the luggage terminal, hold up a ten and call for a porter. One will come, trust me...He will get your luggage and usher you and your luggage right to a taxi. :D Skipping any lines.

I'm sorry you had such a rotten experience.

We were on the Freedom in June and had completely the opposite experience. We were also Zone 1 and we were off the ship and had cleared customs within 30 - 40 min. Much of that was because we had a lot of trouble locating one of our pieces of luggage.

It is a bit of a mess right now with all the construction, but overall we were satisfied.

We have only cruised out of Ft Lauderdale twice...and were not impressed either time.

The traffic situation is a zoo. Who designed that.

And if you are parking....good luck....

We decided the last time would be the last time out of there.....

(and we were VIP....I can not imagine how it was for the rest of the folks)

That stinks ending your wonderful cruise in this way.

This is actually my favorite port to enter and leave.

Never once had a problem...sounds like something went wrong. Maybe they had custom personnel call out sick or something. Sorry you had to go through this.

Man, I sure hope you're right! We sail on the Freedom our of FLL next year!

We have cruise out of Port Everglades 3 times and the only problem we had was a porter on our last cruise did not like my $10.00 tip. I did find out, when I contacted the Port Authority, the porters are members of the Union and do not depend on tips. They make a good salary, per the Port Authority.

Archived