New question about last name spelled wrong on birth certificate

irisheileen

1) Why wouldn't they? They don't ask if you have a visa for those countries that require them...

2) How do you know that there was anyone on without a passort?

How do you know that there was anyone on without a passort? :confused: Not sure if you are talking about a specific cruise? Or this summer Bermuda itinerary that I was referring to.

The odds are that someone cruising to Bermuda this summer is not using a passport, but utilizing a BC and DL.

Not sure of the intent of your post.

I'm not sure you will get an accurate answer as far as women being turned away....unless it was recent. My BC and DL don't match as my DL has DHs name. My first and only cruise was a closed loop to the Mexican Riviera. All I needed was DL and BC. I was NOT turned away. However, that was in 2003. A lot of rules and laws have changed within the last couple years.

Last weekend, DH and I watched several documentaries on tv on cruising. One was "Ultimate Cruise Ship: Building Freedom of the Seas". I think it was on the Discovery Channel or Travel Channel. Anyway, they were showing what all the crew has to deal with on embarkation day. There was a young couple who had just gotten married - she was still wearing her wedding dress - and they weren't going to let her board. She had booked the cruise in her new married name, but her BC and DL were in her maiden name. They absolutely were not going to let her board. A family member was able to fax their new marriage certificate over just in time so they did make it on the cruise. The point was made though that they do in fact turn women away who's BC and DL don't match and do not have the appropriate bridging document.

:eek: Yikes!

Yes, females with last names different on BC do and can get turned away. I know of one case that the person did get turned away fortunately lived close to the pier and was able to run home and get proof of marriage certficate, another instance, a family member was home and able to run to Office Depot and fax a copy marriage certificate.

Well, drats, that shoots my theory that if it's good enough for females with "wrong" name on BC it's good enough for a male with a typo on birth certificate last name. Just trying to think of any help for my friend's situation.

Thanks everyone who gave constructive replies!

Just payed final payment for October Panama canal cruise FLL to San Diego and back. Hal stressed that we needed a passport:) and that this was needed for all cruises no matter where it was cruising and all names had to be correct, First, middle and last on passport. Seems all countrys want you to have a passport even if they did not require them in the past:eek: So the solution imo is to get a passport or re-new the one you have and avoid all this tension. Have a safe and wonderful cruise no matter how you get it done:D

1) Why wouldn't they? They don't ask if you have a visa for those countries that require them...<SNIP>

Oh yes they do...We've cruised or flown to many areas where a visa is required! In every instance on check in, we were asked for our Visa's including on HAL..That is the Law!

If HAL or any Airline were to board us & we were without a Visa for a country which required one, the carrying airline/cruise line would be subject to a hefty fine..

We'll be on HAL in Jan to S.A./Antartica/ including the Amazon..We are required to have a visa for Brazil...Ours has expired & must be renewed..HAL will not board us if we don't have the visas & yellow fever shots..

cheers...Betty

Archived