New question about last name spelled wrong on birth certificate

irisheileen

I've started this new thread because I have thought of this new concept ( to me) about female Birth Certificates and male BC.

I have recently posted here explaining the problem, but I have a very specific question now.

Let's say a female is born with the name JANE DOE and it states so on her official Birth Certificate.

JANE DOE gets married and takes her husband's name (as is the usual custom) Smith. She is now legally JANE SMITH. She goes about her life and gets a Driver's license under JANE DOE.

JANE SMITH decides to go on her first closed loop cruise out of NYC. All the passenger needs is: (1) original Raised Seal Birth Certificate (2) Driver's license photo Id.

JANE SMITH appears at the pier counter with (1)JANE DOE Birth Certificate and (2) JANE SMITH Driver's License.

She is welcomed aboard, CORRECT? (Because HER

Birth LAST name doesn't seem to matter IF she is cleared to board)

Now....If a MALE has a LAST NAME TYPO on his official Birth Certificate and the correct spelling on his Driver's License, he too shouldn't have any problem when presenting those same two documents at the pier, right?

BC ...JOHN DEO (misspelled example)

DL...JOHN DOE (correct spelling)

Thanks again for revisiting this dilemma my friend is having. I'd like you take on looking at the situation in this light.

What is everyone's EXPERIENCE who is female and has used their BC with maiden name and DL with married name? did you have any trouble at the pier or in returning to the US?

THANKS!!!!!!!!

I would think that in the case of female you would be showing a marraige license. That's waht I did when I was first married and didn't have a passport (many years ago). I am now divorced but kept my ex-husbands name. I have had a passport for years now.

I think most women use their maiden name as their middle name on their DL after marriage so there is a connection between BC and DL. I have a passport in my first/maiden/ married last name as is my DL, Soc Sec card etc.

The male situation is entirely different. In the woman's example both her BC and DL names have been her legal last name at some time in her life. In the male misspelled BC, that last name never was his legal name.

Well, that's what I'm wondering/asking...is a married woman REQUIRED to ALSO present her marriage certificate along with her birth certificate? I've never seen any instructions like that on any cruise line. government website only say BC and DL.

scraplady, they are in the process of attempting to correct the BC. Time is of the essence now...cruise is very near.

All the details:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1674261

Thanks!

A Marriage certificate is required when DL is not the same as the BC to provide proof of the name change. As is many husbands now take on the wife's last name and hyphenate the name. For the male he must do a legal name change and that paper work is required at check in.

Also if there is a divorce and legal name change in the divorce then that paper work also need to be brought to the pier.

My Dad had always gone by an Americanized Version of his name. He wasn't aware that his birth certificate had a different (non-Americanized) version of his name until he was denied a US passport. He needed to get someone to swear that these two people were one and the same. He got his passport. Soon afterwards, a friend of the family was taking a cruise. She needed to bring her birth certificate, a marriage license and a driver's license to show that the person with these two different names was one and the same.

My career was spent in part examining documents to establish identity, citizenship, relationship, and several other criteria.

A driver's license establishes identity and date of birth. It does not establish citizenship. A birth certificate/naturalization certificate establishes citizenship (unless that's been renounced, and an official really won't know that), relationship to parents, and date of birth. It does not establish identity.

When entering a country it's necessary to establish identity and citizenship. In the case of a name change, e.g. a woman who changes her name when she marries, that cannot be done without the connecting documents.; e.g. the marriage certificate(s). Sometimes the official might let it pass, but they might not.

I think most women use their maiden name as their middle name on their DL after marriage so there is a connection between BC and DL. I have a passport in my first/maiden/ married last name as is my DL, Soc Sec card etc.

The male situation is entirely different. In the woman's example both her BC and DL names have been her legal last name at some time in her life. In the male misspelled BC, that last name never was his legal name.

Most women in the USA may use their maiden name as their "new" middle name when they get married. This is not the custom in much of the rest of the world. Many women just drop their maiden name and keep their original middle name.

For women, their marriage certificate provides the bridging document between birth certificate and the name they are using at the time of travelling.

Most women in the USA may use their maiden name as their "new" middle name when they get married. This is not the custom in much of the rest of the world. Many women just drop their maiden name and keep their original middle name.

For women, their marriage certificate provides the bridging document between birth certificate and the name they are using at the time of travelling.

Neither I nor most of my married female friends use their maiden name as middle name. If we were given a middle name by our parents, we use that as middle name.

I do not use my maiden name at all.

A Marriage certificate is required when DL is not the same as the BC to provide proof of the name change. As is many husbands now take on the wife's last name and hyphenate the name. For the male he must do a legal name change and that paper work is required at check in.

Also if there is a divorce and legal name change in the divorce then that paper work also need to be brought to the pier.

and that's why for us a passport is the simplest thing to do:D:D thanks Lisa

I think most women use their maiden name as their middle name on their DL after marriage

Most women I know, myself included, don't use their maiden name at all. My legal middle name is the middle name my parents gave me at birth. My marriage certificate would bridge my BC and DL.

Some women kept their names (first, middle and last) after marriage. I didn't ask my husband to change his name when we got married, and he didn't ask me to change mine.

P.S. Thirty years later, we are still married. Looking forward to our cruise to Bermuda in August to celebrate our 31st anniversary :-)

Most of my Friends & I do not use their Maiden name as a middle name..I use my middle name given to me at birth..

I have been married over 35 years and never used my maiden name till I signed up for Facebook and that was so that former classmates could find me. Othewise in normal life never used my maiden name.

I've been married twice & our 36th Anniversary is next week..I don't use my maiden name either..The only time I used my maiden name was when I signed up for Classmates.com but otherwise I use my middle name which was given to me at birth (Ann)...However on many legal documents including our checkbook my name is spelled with an "e" at the end -Anne..

OP...I have a similar situation...My Middle name is Anne (after my paternal Grandmother) but it's not spelled like that on my Birth Certificate...My original Passport was issued in my maiden name as it appears on my BC. Elizabeth Ann xxxx (with no "e" at the end) ..When I married my first Husband, I sent my Passport with my marriage certificate which read Elizabeth Anne (with an "e") & the passport office put a special stamp in my passport which reads "This passport is amended as follows to read in bearers married name Elizabeth Ann xxxxxx..

All subsequent passports were issued in my first married name but without the "e" because my birth Cert. did not have an "e"

When I married my second Husband I still used my old passport to travel but also carried my marriage cert. with me..In those days many Hotels would not book you into a double room if your names were not the same..

When that passport expired I sent it in with my new marriage cert. & they issued it in my new married name, again without the "e" in Anne even though both marriage cert. had an "e" ..

I think since 9-11 Homeland Security has become much more precise & now might not have issued my passports without two people swearing for me.. However, they may take into consideration that mistakes are quite common, & may still be able to issue your Friends passports..

Cheers...Betty AKA Elizabeth Ann "e" :)

P.S. My Drivers Lic reads Elizabeth A. xxxx/SIZE]

Gee, I've been married for 35 years and did not keep my maiden name as my middle name. I hated my maiden name and there was no way that I was going to keep it. In fact, when I was born I was not given a middle name so I am just Jane Doe, no middle initial.

Gee, I've been married for 35 years and did not keep my maiden name as my middle name. I hated my maiden name and there was no way that I was going to keep it. In fact, when I was born I was not given a middle name so I am just Jane Doe, no middle initial.

Heck, your not just Jane Doe,no middle initial! Here you're Valley Girl of VA! :) Cheers, Salacia

P.S. Obviously, I no Roman Goddess of the Sea, but at least here I got to choose my name, however obscure the reference is :)

edited to add: somehow the posts quoted appear disjointed...but scoll up and it will all be clear. Kind of.

NOOB CRUISE:

If you are going to get fancy and try to put quotes from 2 people in a post, you have to watch what you're doing when you start deleting parts of the quotes. You can't delete what one person wrote, leaving their name however, and leave what someone else wrote or you end up quoting someone with something they never said. For the record, I do have a middle name I was given at birth and never posted what you quoted me as saying.

Thanks, Salacia. I think several people need some lessons on how to do quotes. This all started with Valley Girl of VA adding her comment into where she was quoting me and then Noob Cruise started deleting and editing. It just isn't rocket science to click on quote and then write your own message below the quote. I got dizzy this morning trying to figure out who I was and what my name is. (:

My dad also has "no middle initial" in place of a middle name.

When I was in the hospital they added to my name Jane NMI Doe. I fought them since "NMI" was not my middle name and yes, I know that it stands for No middle Initial but I still did not want that in my name. It would then be an alias. They backed down and now on all records at the hospital I am back to Jane Doe!

I guess I am also in the minority. My mother did not have a middle name, so she used her maiden name in its place. Although I was born with a middle name (misspelled as a male version of the name by my father on the birth certificate), I have used my maiden name as my middle name since my wedding. I use all 3 names on my professional certifications and licenses, but only my married name socially. The DL, passport and social security card also display the 3 names. Perhaps this is a southern thing?

Archived