New question about last name spelled wrong on birth certificate

irisheileen

Just to further confuse things, my DW (a southern belle) was born, let's say, Jane Ann Doe. As a southern girl she was called "Jane Ann" by her family and friends. When she married, she was known as Jane Ann Doe Smith. Family & friends still call her "Jane Ann", but acquaintences and work colleagues know her as Jane Smith. Her passport, of course, is Jane Ann Smith, while some government docs list her as Jane Ann (first name) Doe (middle name) Smith (last name).

Evidently you pays your money and you takes your choice!

NOOB CRUISE:

If you are going to get fancy and try to put quotes from 2 people in a post, you have to watch what you're doing when you start deleting parts of the quotes. You can't delete what one person wrote, leaving their name however, and leave what someone else wrote or you end up quoting someone with something they never said. For the record, I do have a middle name I was given at birth and never posted what you quoted me as saying.

Thanks, Salacia. I think several people need some lessons on how to do quotes. This all started with Valley Girl of VA adding her comment into where she was quoting me and then Noob Cruise started deleting and editing. It just isn't rocket science to click on quote and then write your own message below the quote. I got dizzy this morning trying to figure out who I was and what my name is. (:

Check your passport! :D

Here's another complication to throw into the mess. Using a middle name instead of a first name. I'm old enough to remember when Holy Mother Church wouldn't let you christen a child with anything but a saint's name. As a result, parents used a saint's name for the "official" church first name and the desired name for the second name. BUT often, the birth certificate had the desired name first and the saint's name second. If you went to Catholic school, your records would match the baptismal certificate, not the birth certificate. For example, my college classmate June was actually Mary June Doe. Her driver license was M. June Doe, but somehow her college records were all June M. Doe. When she got married, she had a lot of trouble sorting out her driver license because motor vehicles somehow added another initial, and it became M. June M. Newname.

And then there's the issue of nicknames. I had to scramble to change a flight reservation for a business trip because someone in the office booked me as Kathy. That's what everyone calls me, but all my paperwork is Katherine.

And to add to the middle name unoffical pole, I use my middle name, not my maiden name for my middle name and initial.

I would strongly recommend getting a passport to solve this issue. The passport is the only thing that one needs to board and the name on the passport should be exactly the same as the name of the passenger. It's simply not worth the risk to have unmatched records in this day and age.

Betty AKA Elizabeth Ann "e", happy 36th anniversary, one week in advance!

Best wishes,

Salacia

Thank you so much..Better see where DH would like to go for our Anniversary..We & Friends always celebrate together so better decide soon...

Check your passport! :D

Here's another complication to throw into the mess. Using a middle name instead of a first name. I'm old enough to remember when Holy Mother Church wouldn't let you christen a child with anything but a saint's name. As a result, parents used a saint's name for the "official" church first name and the desired name for the second name. BUT often, the birth certificate had the desired name first and the saint's name second. If you went to Catholic school, your records would match the baptismal certificate, not the birth certificate. For example, my college classmate June was actually Mary June Doe. Her driver license was M. June Doe, but somehow her college records were all June M. Doe. When she got married, she had a lot of trouble sorting out her driver license because motor vehicles somehow added another initial, and it became M. June M. Newname.

And then there's the issue of nicknames. I had to scramble to change a flight reservation for a business trip because someone in the office booked me as Kathy. That's what everyone calls me, but all my paperwork is Katherine.

And to add to the middle name unoffical pole, I use my middle name, not my maiden name for my middle name and initial.

Now that's coincidental..My Mom was always known as Kathryn by Family & Friends & signed her name Kathryn Ida xxxx...Ida was her Grandmothers name..However, during the 2nd WW she went to work for a company which made warplanes & they always called her Ida..Never figured out why she did not correct them..

Later on, when I wanted to take her to Europe & we went to get her a Passport, I realized her Birth Certif. read Ida Kathryn xxxx, so that is the way her Passport was issued..

DH has no middle name but thought it was cool that in the Military he was known as John NMI xxxx...

They can call me anything as long as it's not "Late for Breakfast":eek:

Cheers...:)Betty AKA Elizabeth Ann(e)

I think the maiden vs. middle name might be a generational thing. I am 40 and have been married for 17 years. I have my first, maiden, and married last name on my government documents. My situation gets confusing because I use my middle name, which is not on my documents.

My mom has her first, middle, and married last name on her government documents. She cruised twice before she got her passport. The first time they only asked for her photo ID and birth certificate. The second time, they asked for her marriage certificate to document the name change from BC to DL. Fortunately I had told her to bring it and she listened. She has a passport now.

I would strongly recommend getting a passport to solve this issue. The passport is the only thing that one needs to board and the name on the passport should be exactly the same as the name of the passenger. It's simply not worth the risk to have unmatched records in this day and age.

And as I mentioned earlier, it's much easier to carry a passport than to have to carry multiple original documents around with you when you're traveling. They don't easily fit into your pocket!

I agree the bridging document, marriage license, takes care of the married woman's proof of identity issue.... the married woman who took her husband's name.

Yes, I agree, but for a new traveler, officially it's not listed as a requirement to bring/produce when cruising. How would a new traveler know to bring something extra other than the STATED REQUIREMENT of BC and DL? Are they ALL turned away?

I brought up this scenario to:

1-find out if any married woman with DH name on DL and birth name DIFFERENT was given the green light to cruise on a closed loop. Was anybody here turned away the first time you tried to travel using a BC and DL? OR, were you able to travel?

2.- Ask, why should it be any different for a male? If a female couldn't prove her citizenship with a matching BC (different last name from DL) and was allowed to cruise, why not a man with a typo?

Thanks everyone!!

Interesting comments from all.

Yes, I agree, but for a new traveler, officially it's not listed as a requirement to bring/produce when cruising. How would a new traveler know to bring something extra other than the STATED REQUIREMENT of BC and DL? Are they ALL turned away?

1-find out if any married woman with DH name on DL and birth name DIFFERENT was given the green light to cruise on a closed loop. Was anybody here turned away the first time you tried to travel using a BC and DL? OR, were you able to travel?

2.- Ask, why should it be any different for a male? If a female couldn't prove her citizenship with a matching BC (different last name from DL) and was allowed to cruise, why not a man with a typo?

Thanks everyone!!

I don't think it's a huge leap in logic to have something that ties the BC and the DL together even if it's not "required". Maybe it's the accountant in me that is always trying to prove something to be true:D.

I don't think it's a huge leap in logic to have something that ties the BC and the DL together even if it's not "required". Maybe it's the accountant in me that is always trying to prove something to be true:D.

I'm with ya', but we all can be ignorant of some facts in life (God knows I am! lol)

I'm just trying to find out real life situations that have happened at the cruise counter :)

Thanks everyone!!

I'm with ya', but we all can be ignorant of some facts in life (God knows I am! lol)

I'm just trying to find out real life situations that have happened at the cruise counter :)

I think that the new Bermuda Regs. state that all U.S Citizens must have a valid passport & can no longer cruise with just a BC..

So in effect your question is not relevant any more as it's immaterial if people were refused boarding prior to the new rules...

Check out these Web sites: See FAQ's re U.S. citizens

on the Bermuda site..

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=214&mode=2&in_hi_userid=2

Also check out NCL's info..

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda2_00005d.htm

Cheers...Betty

From the Bermuda website mentioned above:

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

FAQ Home | Advanced Search | News | Submit Question | English

Home » Departments » Immigration

I am a US Citizen. I DO NOT have a valid passport. If I take a Carnival Cruise arriving in Bermuda from the US and returning to the US with no other stops, am I required to have a Passport for a 3 day entry to Bermuda? Do I need a passport to access

FAQ Number: 1037 | Rating: Unrated | Last Updated: Mon, Apr 16, 2012 10:39 AMShare

Persons traveling on a closed loop cruise will be permitted to disembark the ship provided they have a birth certificate and a valid Government-issued ID.

Posted - Mon, Apr 16, 2012 10:39 AM. This FAQ has been viewed 184 times.

Filed Under: Immigration

I confirmed with Customs Border Patrol and HAL yesterday that passports ARE NOT REQUIRED on Bermuda closed loop cruises

Well, that's what I'm wondering/asking...is a married woman REQUIRED to ALSO present her marriage certificate along with her birth certificate? I've never seen any instructions like that on any cruise line. government website only say BC and DL.

scraplady, they are in the process of attempting to correct the BC. Time is of the essence now...cruise is very near.

All the details:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1674261

Thanks!

I believe most cruise lines instructions address the different last names due to marriage and required proof of the change; same would apply if the name was legally changed for some other reason (documentation required to explain name difference).

Ray in NH

I know that it is not HAL's responsibility to see to it that every pax has the correct documents and that they will turn away those that don't, but surely HAL knows if they accept a BC and DL or if the pax has to have a passport.

From all I've read a passport is required if flying to Bermuda, but on a closed loop cruise a BC/DL is accepted. Has HAL directly answered this question? That should be an easy question to get answered and there seems to still be confusion about it. Have any pax who cruised to Bermuda this summer on a HAL ship come onto to any of these threads and said they sailed with only a BC/DL???

You can also google Bermuda Consulates and call any one of their offices and ask directly if you can closed loop cruise from the US with only a BC/DL.

I know that it is not HAL's responsibility to see to it that every pax has the correct documents and that they will turn away those that don't, but surely HAL knows if they accept a BC and DL or if the pax has to have a passport.

From all I've read a passport is required if flying to Bermuda, but on a closed loop cruise a BC/DL is accepted. Has HAL directly answered this question? That should be an easy question to get answered and there seems to still be confusion about it. Have any pax who cruised to Bermuda this summer on a HAL ship come onto to any of these threads and said they sailed with only a BC/DL???

You can also google Bermuda Consulates and call any one of their offices and ask directly if you can closed loop cruise from the US with only a BC/DL.

You are correct about the difference between flying into Bermuda and sailing by sea on a CLOSED LOOP. Yes, HAL HAS answered this question repeatedly and so has the Customs border Patrol to me personally.

You are correct about the difference between flying into Bermuda and sailing by sea on a CLOSED LOOP. Yes, HAL HAS answered this question repeatedly and so has the Customs border Patrol to me personally.

The Bermuda customs border patrol? Because there are two seperate questions - what documentation do you need to re-enter the US, and what documentation do you need to enter Bermuda...

The Bermuda customs border patrol? Because there are two seperate questions - what documentation do you need to re-enter the US, and what documentation do you need to enter Bermuda...

Obviously a BC/DL would suffice to reenter the US or the cruiselines wouldn't be able to accept those when embarking on the cruise to Bermuda. Cruiselines aren't going to put pax on their ships who are not able to get off when they get back to the US.

US CBP not Bermuda. http://www.cbp.gov

Can't imagine that HAL would only let you sail to Bermuda and not enter. This itinerary has been all summer-haven't heard that everyone without passport has been kept on ship.

Thanks everyone!!

Yes, females with last names different on BC do and can get turned away. I know of one case that the person did get turned away fortunately lived close to the pier and was able to run home and get proof of marriage certficate, another instance, a family member was home and able to run to Office Depot and fax a copy marriage certificate.

NOOB CRUISE:

If you are going to get fancy and try to put quotes from 2 people in a post, you have to watch what you're doing when you start deleting parts of the quotes. You can't delete what one person wrote, leaving their name however, and leave what someone else wrote or you end up quoting someone with something they never said. For the record, I do have a middle name I was given at birth and never posted what you quoted me as saying.

Thanks, Salacia. I think several people need some lessons on how to do quotes. This all started with Valley Girl of VA adding her comment into where she was quoting me and then Noob Cruise started deleting and editing. It just isn't rocket science to click on quote and then write your own message below the quote. I got dizzy this morning trying to figure out who I was and what my name is. (:

Sorry that quoted you. I didn't try to get fancy and put quotes from 2 people. I hit quote on Valley Girl of VAs post. Yes, I deleted the bottom part of her post, intending to only quote the one sentence of her post that I was responding to regarding no middle initial. I didn't notice that she had partially quoted you or that your name was included. Sorry for the error and thanks for the lesson in quoting. My "editing" was only intended to quote only the part I was responding to. I've noticed many people hit quote and include an entire page worth of text and as you read through, it can get confusing what a response is to. I thought I was making my response directed and easier to follow. I see that can cause problems as I did not realize your name was included. I'll be more careful after this and won't try to simplify. I'll just hit quote and leave it as is, even if there is an entire page of text and 5 photos included.

I think most women use their maiden name as their middle name on their DL after marriage so there is a connection between BC and DL. I have a passport in my first/maiden/ married last name as is my DL, Soc Sec card etc.

The male situation is entirely different. In the woman's example both her BC and DL names have been her legal last name at some time in her life. In the male misspelled BC, that last name never was his legal name.

In my first marriage, I used my maiden name as my middle name, changing my last name to my husband's. Got my driver's license changed by just telling them. Then three years later when I divorced, I asked for it to be changed back. What I got was Patricia (maiden name) (maiden name). They changed the last name but left the middle. That time they didn't take my word for it, and I had to take my divorce papers in to get it corrected to Patricia Anne (maiden name). Never could figure out why they would just accept my word when I got married but not when I got divorced.

Thanks everyone!!

I'm not sure you will get an accurate answer as far as women being turned away....unless it was recent. My BC and DL don't match as my DL has DHs name. My first and only cruise was a closed loop to the Mexican Riviera. All I needed was DL and BC. I was NOT turned away. However, that was in 2003. A lot of rules and laws have changed within the last couple years.

Last weekend, DH and I watched several documentaries on tv on cruising. One was "Ultimate Cruise Ship: Building Freedom of the Seas". I think it was on the Discovery Channel or Travel Channel. Anyway, they were showing what all the crew has to deal with on embarkation day. There was a young couple who had just gotten married - she was still wearing her wedding dress - and they weren't going to let her board. She had booked the cruise in her new married name, but her BC and DL were in her maiden name. They absolutely were not going to let her board. A family member was able to fax their new marriage certificate over just in time so they did make it on the cruise. The point was made though that they do in fact turn women away who's BC and DL don't match and do not have the appropriate bridging document.

US CBP not Bermuda. www.cbp.gov

Can't imagine that HAL would only let you sail to Bermuda and not enter. This itinerary has been all summer-haven't heard that everyone without passport has been kept on ship.

1) Why wouldn't they? They don't ask if you have a visa for those countries that require them...

2) How do you know that there was anyone on without a passort?

I'll be more careful after this and won't try to simplify. I'll just hit quote and leave it as is, even if there is an entire page of text and 5 photos included.

Or, you could just pay close attention to be sure you leave the brackets [ ] around the word quote at the beginning, and the brackets [/ ] around the word quote at the end.

It's when one of the brackets gets deleted with the extraneous text that the problems start.

If necessary, use the spacebar to create a little room between the ] and the first letter before you delete, and another space between the last letter and the [/.

Archived