Insurance for family of 4?

4my2girlz

This is our first cruise and I am confused about buying insurance....

We (2 adults/1 8yr old/1 6 yr old) are sailing out of Port Canaveral on the Carnival Dream in January. We will be flying from VA.

Would you purchase insurance? From Carnival or a private company?

Any information you could provide would be helpful!

Thanks so much!

Tough question without one single answer that fits everyone.

The devil is in the details.

Carnivals insurance is backed by Berkley. It's more expensive, BUT includes "Cancel for Any Reason" rider. The part about cancle for any reason that some people don't like is that the reimbursement is only (I think) 75% future cruise credit. Not a cash refund. Now please understand, that's only if your claim is approved under the "cancel for any reason" clause. Cancelling for "Covered" reasons pay out differently.

3rd party insurance companies also vary. Some even cover your kids for free. Once again, the devil is in the details.

I think if you sit back with a beverage of your choice, read some of the threads on this forum, you'll know more about travel insurance than your ever wanted.

Here's some more reading for you

http://www.travelinsurancebasics.com/howmuch.php

The insurance can provide two major benefits. It can provide medical insurance should you need medical care on the trip including evacuation.

It also covers insurance for the cost of the cruise.

It all comes down to cost for the policy versus how much risk you want to take.

Yes, the devil is in the details.

I would go to http://www.insuremytrip.com to look a policies. They ask for some basic information and present policies to you which you can easily compare to one another. You can buy the third party insurance from them or you could buy it directly with the third party. Then pull out the information from Carnival and go line by line to see what they cover for each major category and compare it to the others and then look at the premium cost for each policy.

Keith

Archived