Open bar cruise

rok233

I don't doubt it. But I never knew NCL did them.

I think the OP did this as part of a group booking...not the whole ship, just a group booking of 20 or more adults who all agree to the liquor package.

here is the info on that package:

http://www.events.ncl.com/assets/documents/13780GroupBevProgrREV3.pdf

I bet there have been groups with the open bar card on at least one of your cruises and you didn't even know. ;)

On the Dawn a few years ago I ran into such a group on the first day...probably a company outing of late 20's to mid 30's sales types....they had taken over the sky-high bar and were already very obnoxious (sp?). They were ordering several drinks per person, spilling a lot and not really letting any other passengers get a drink from the overwhelmed bar tenders. Just that one experience was enough to make me want to avoid "all inclusive" cruising.

On the Dawn a few years ago I ran into such a group on the first day...probably a company outing of late 20's to mid 30's sales types....they had taken over the sky-high bar and were already very obnoxious (sp?). They were ordering several drinks per person, spilling a lot and not really letting any other passengers get a drink from the overwhelmed bar tenders. Just that one experience was enough to make me want to avoid "all inclusive" cruising.

Ordering several drinks per person? NCL only allow ONE drink per person and they're very strict on that policy. Bartenders don't usually get overwhelmed with people ordering one drink at a time. Maybe it was others that were paying for 5 or six at a time? How much more of that story is over exaggerated?

I never seen that once on the two open bar cruise I've been on with groups booked through travel agents.

Ordering several drinks per person? NCL only allow ONE drink per person and they're very strict on that policy. Bartenders don't usually get overwhelmed with people ordering one drink at a time. Maybe it was others that were paying for 5 or six at a time? How much more of that story is over exaggerated?

I never seen that once on the two open bar cruise I've been on with groups booked through travel agents.

I will clarify what I saw ....a single person orders several drinks (many of the same kind) and shows his card and takes the multiple drinks to one table...I guess they could be ordering for their friends, since there is no charge against that person's card. The whole service bar is taken up by people shouting their drink orders. I didn't stay to see how long that went on.

I will clarify what I saw ....a single person orders several drinks (many of the same kind) and shows his card and takes the multiple drinks to one table...I guess they could be ordering for their friends, since there is no charge against that person's card. The whole service bar is taken up by people shouting their drink orders. I didn't stay to see how long that went on.

You said "they" were ordering several drinks per person. Now it's you only seen one person ordering several drinks? As I've previously stated, not once in two cruises was I allowed or did I see a bartender allow someone with the bar card to order more than one drink at a time. There is no charge towards THEIR drinks but they can't order for anyone else but themselves. Looks like you seen someone without the bar card shouting their drink orders, since they ordered several drinks and took them to one table.

Nice try though! ;)

Mainstream cruise lines are usually pretty quick to adopt things that are very popular and profitable. Given the limited availability of unlimited drink packages, I think it is safe to say that a majority of cruisers are not interested. I think the fact that there have been "issues" during spring break cause many to not want to be on cruises where these packages are available.

Most people will not drink enough during a week to make it worthwhile. If you drink 3 or 4 drinks a day, you lose, if you drink 8 to 10 a day, you would make out, but I'm not sure I would want to be around a large number of people drinking that much.

The all inclusive cruise lines that offer unlimited booze are self limiting in that they are very, very expensive in general.

Again, not much support on the NCL board for unlimited booze.

I was on an open bar cruise the past two years with Norwegian (Pearl and EPIC). I'm only looking at NCL, RCCL and Carnival because they're generally more lively and fun. :)

You might want to consider Celebrity - their Premium Beverage package includes pretty much all non-alcoholic drinks and most all alcoholic drinks up to $12/serving (excepting mini-bar, room service, gift shop purchases, and the Enomatic wine dispensers).

Archived