Baby Carriers on a Cruise

weezlesgirl

We are going on a cruise next July and will have my 6 month old with us (it is strange planning a cruise for a baby who isn't even here yet!). We took my daughter on a cruise when she was 8 months and really struggled with her stroller. I was wondering if any of you used baby carriers and what kind you used. I was thinking about Ergo, but then I got concerned that the baby would get hot since we are going to the Caribbean. Any input is helpful. Thanks in advance!

I didnt but i think its a great idea. Especially to get them to fall asleep. My kids werent fans of falling asleep in the stroller. Or when you want to eat. The Ergo would probably be your best bet. I may even bring our carrier for our cruise in september even though DS will be almost 18 months. He likes to be held often.

If you can afford it, get a Baby K'tan Breeze. It's made of 50% soft natural cotton - 50% breathable mesh. Living in FL, I have one for when we're out and about and he isn't in the mood to be in the stroller. It's easy to throw in the bag and go. It is more breathable than I thought it would be. The stroller we have is a little bigger than an umbrella stroller, but folds like one. We may be experiencing the same thing as you, with our son when he's 10 months. Not sure yet, but hopefully!

Edited by Mrs.C05

Get baby used to whatever carrier as soon as possible -- my DD absolutely loved hers, but due to an emergency I had to stop into work throughout much of my maternity leave and she had to get used to it. SIL used one when she was bringing her adopted 2WO baby home from cross country on the plane and used it afterward because baby was colicie (sp?) and DN loves it. But I have friends have thought "oh, he's too little, we'll wait" and then when baby is 2 or 3 months old he wants nothing to do with it. You don't want to commit to one or the other until you know what your baby will like.

I've used an Ergo in the Caribbean, DS was 3 at the time. I love using the Ergo when traveling, especially when in port. I don't get overly hot using it in the islands, but I make sure to wear something lightweight and cotton underneath. Of course my child wanted to walk for some parts of the trip, which won't be the case with you ;)

We bring both. I use the stroller most when we are off the ship and the baby carrier when we are onboard. While walking around the ship, we prefer to take the stairs to avoid waiting for the elevator. The carrier has the advantage. It also helps in tight spaces and crowds.

Yes, we also travel with both, and like the PP, used the Ergo mainly for our time on the ship. No issues with being too hot while on the ship. Our little one was just over a year old when we traveled on a Holy Land cruise last summer. I used the Ergo for some of the ports (Jerusalem, in particular) and we used the stroller at other times. With a 6 month old, you can probably get away with just a carrier, but depends on your travel style/baby preferences.

I loved my Ergo for long hikes in Yellowstone with LO was 6 months old. We took it on 9 mile hikes, and it was so comfortable. The moby wrap was way too hot. A stroller can be such a pain if you are doing something like walking on the beach or anywhere an umbrella stroller can't get to. That said, I would bring both. In fact, I am looking for an umbrella now for my 3.5 year old...

ERGO was indispensable on our cruises with DS, first age 19 months and then age 2.5 (see evidence below from the Bahamas). Especially useful in the buffet lines so you can have 2 hands for food. There is a sport version in a more breathable fabric, if you are concerned about the heat. We brought a cheap umbrella stroller too, which was good for embarkation and debarkation, but while in port and on board, we used the ERGO.

We bought the ERGO when DS was 5 months old and I wish we'd had it from the beginning. That thing has been one of the most long lasting baby purchases we made.

6717511919_e57a2fb4e1_z.jpg

I've used an Ergo in the Caribbean' date=' DS was 3 at the time. I love using the Ergo when traveling, especially when in port. I don't get overly hot using it in the islands, but I make sure to wear something lightweight and cotton underneath. Of course my child wanted to walk for some parts of the trip, which won't be the case with you ;)[/quote']

They do make an Ergo sport that has mesh and is much more lightweight.

I have used our ergo extensively during travel starting at 3 weeks in Disney world, the carriers pack so light that I now stuff it at all times. We Thought we wouldn't need it and we're kicking ourselves for that choice hiking through the woods.

We're bringing both. We have a Boba which is basically the same as an Ergo or Beco. Do not bring a moby! Those things are too hot and you cannot put the baby on your back if you use a soft carrier. I believe the K'tan is also a soft carrier and that is a big no no when using a carrier.

• 1 year later...

We're taking out 8 month old on a cruise in a couple of weeks! So excited. We got a nice travel stroller from Toys R Us which is much lighter and narrower and collapses down better than our primary stroller. We made sure to get one that reclines (uses a drawstring method) so he can sleep in it. And of course we've tested it in our neighborhood to make sure he would sleep in it. But we also got a carrier that we found at Burlington; we got one that can be used three ways, in front either facing forward or backwards, or on the back. Figured it would be good to have options.