Wine Package Question

alrose251

I will be sailing on the Star repo from NY to New Orleans in October (14 days).

Is the wine package always available on the first day? Can anyone tell me what is available. We usually buy the lower cost wine, so will it be cost effective for us to wait?

Any help is greatly appreciated:).

In years past the wine packages included any wine the ships sold. Last year we noticed a change, they only offered select wines and it was none of the less expensive ones. What I remember was the cheapest was in the range of $45-50 and up. Buy six or more bottles and get 20% off.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done some searches on NCL wine packages and just looking for confirmation and answer to an additional question:

1) the "package" wine list is a subset of the ships wines meaning I won't have the option of choosing from their entire wine list?

2) Although I would get a 20% discount on x number of bottles, I would still pay a 15% gratuity on each bottle?

3) If I bring my own wine on board, I'm charged a $15 fee. Is there gratuity accessed to this fee? Or is it a flat $15?

Thanks for the quick replies. I think I'm going to bring several bottles of my own plus champagne. Based on the wine list I've seen, I'll be happier paying the corkage fee.

That was my thinking - I'll get the wines I like and still probably pay less!

I am going to order a mixed case from Empire wines in Albany, they will ship to me for $11 and even have group of wines on special they will ship for free. Empire is $3-10 less a bottle than local and I get case to bring on all set and no breakage.

We will bring 8-10 bottles and pay the $15, drink better wine, I like and save money. We are on a 9 day trip.

In the $15-$20 a bottle range for them I would pay close to $50+ on NCL for comparable wines.

Try any of the dreaming tree wines white or red and for big bold reds in the 20 or less range Bodega Norton , Sebastiani or Antinori Toscana

http://www.empirewine.com/wine/all/top-rated/

one more question:

since I'm bringing my own wine on board, how does the process work? Should I do carry-on or does NCL have a process where they check the wine in and deliver to you when you want your wine

Yes carry on. If not, you could be called to the "naughty" room after boarding to open your luggage and pay corkage. Not a big deal, but can take an hour of your vacation away from you

I've never done this either, so if I carry the wine on, when do they charge me the fee? Do they see it in the scanner and charge me then?

Assuming they notice when xraying your carry on, they will direct you to a table nearby to pay and put a sticker on the bottles to show you paid. You then keep it with you.

At xray, you tell them you have it and go to the table for payment. They will sticker the bottles and you take them on. After your on, you can have NCL store them for you or take them wherever you want.

At the end of the cruise if you have any left, they will refund the unused corkage fee and you can take it home with you.

At the end of the cruise if you have any left, they will refund the unused corkage fee and you can take it home with you.

Good to know. I wasn't sure how that worked. Now I just may bring my own onboard, too!:D

I will be sailing on the Star repo from NY to New Orleans in October (14 days).

Is the wine package always available on the first day? Can anyone tell me what is available. We usually buy the lower cost wine, so will it be cost effective for us to wait?

Any help is greatly appreciated:).

Just off the Dawn on July 27th and the package was sold at a table in the Atrium on the first day. For the 7 day cruise the choice was 6 to 8 bottles.

The following were the choices with the lowest and highest price.

3 Champagnes $60 - 220

1 Sparkling $36

18 white $29 - 94

3 Rose/blush $28 - 95

20 Red $27 - 120

John

Just off the Dawn on July 27th and the package was sold at a table in the Atrium on the first day. For the 7 day cruise the choice was 6 to 8 bottles.

The following were the choices with the lowest and highest price.

3 Champagnes $60 - 220

1 Sparkling $36

18 white $29 - 94

3 Rose/blush $28 - 95

20 Red $27 - 120

John

I am so sorry..must be dense but I cant understand this list.

Are you saying there there were 3different kinds of champagne and the prices went from 60 to 220??

or for example 20 types of red wine and the prices ranged from 27 to 120?

How does this make a package:confused: What is the savings?

I am so sorry..must be dense but I cant understand this list.

Are you saying there there were 3different kinds of champagne and the prices went from 60 to 220??

or for example 20 types of red wine and the prices ranged from 27 to 120?

How does this make a package:confused: What is the savings?

the first number is the number of choices in that catagory and the second is the price range. i.e. There are 3 different brands of Champagne and their prices are $60, $110, and $220.

If you pick 6 bottles they can all be different, all the same, or a mix. They will deduct 20% from the total cost then add the 15% gratuity.

the first number is the number of choices in that catagory and the second is the price range. i.e. There are 3 different brands of Champagne and their prices are $60, $110, and $220.

If you pick 6 bottles they can all be different, all the same, or a mix. They will deduct 20% from the total cost then add the 15% gratuity.

Interested in your opinion of the choices on the list, especially the reds. Do you recall what red wine they carried at the lower end ($27 - 35)?

Interested in your opinion of the choices on the list, especially the reds. Do you recall what red wine they carried at the lower end ($27 - 35)?

Sylvester Winery Merlot $31

Cline Zinfandel California $27

Fairview Red "Goats do Roam in villlages" S. Africa - $35

Torres Catalunya "Sangre de Toro" Spain - $27

Beaujolais Village, Louis Jadot - France - $28

Get you!

Thanks now I understand how it works

Of course, someone like me will want to know about the whites. Can you also mention the whites that are on the lower end. Thanks so much.

Please remember these are from the Dawn on July 20th. Other ships may have different ones.

$36 and under

Sparkling - Villa Sandi - Italy $36

Chardonnay - Meridian Vineyards - Santa Barbara County $29

Chardonnay- Waterbrook - Colimbia Valley, washington $33

Sauvignon Blanc - Matua - New Zealand $31

Riesling - Chateau Ste. Michelle - Washington $29

Riesling - Selbach-Oster - Germany $34

Pinot Grigio - Danzante - Italy $34

Others - "The Stump jump" McLaren Vale, Australia $33

Rose - Beringer White Zinfadel - California $28

Archived