Water

KPGirl

I have horrible well water where I live so I do drink bottled water. No I won't move because of it but I do like when I go places where I can drink tap water.

PS even my dogs drink bottled water !!!

As someone else said I am also a water snob.:o I don't like having bottled water for the exact reason someone said...the waste of all of those bottles. I actually initiated my employers putting water coolers in so that we didn't have all of those bottles (so many weren't even emptied). Trust me, I am not the only one who does not like the taste of our water here. I have carried a Pur water filter pitcher on cruises in the past. Well I have now found the Britta water filter bottle. I will carry that on my next cruise. I will be able to fill that directly at the dispensers on Lido because the part that my mouth has touched directly will be in the other hand. I have never had issues with swelling but like someone else said, I might be able to keep that to a minimum by all of the walking we do on the ship.

Personally, I don't think there is a right on wrong answer to this. I will stick to the idea that it is personal preference.

I'm a water snob so I bring my own water. I don't drink tap water at home or ship water on the cruise because of the tastes, not because of sensitivity to salt. I will drink the coffee and lemonade because it tastes like coffee and lemonade. It's all based on what you prefer.

Same with me. My drink of choice, if not wine:D is water. I can't stand the taste of chlorine in water, so bring my own or purchase the bottled water on the ship.

Pat

We happily drank the ship water for almost 2 weeks on the Breeze and did not have any trouble with swelling or any other issues!

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I think bottled water is a CROCK! If you live anywhere in the USA or just about any industrialized country, the water is perfectly fine to drink. Bottled water is an environmental disaster and a sucker bet. The environmental costs to bottle water and then truck it to your location are ridiculous, and nearly all water bottles are NOT recycled, so you have all that plastic dumped into the environment. It's absolutely silly to buy bottles of water. If you are living somewhere that you must buy bottled water, then you should move!

If you really just want to donate money to Evian, well, that is your choice I suppose -- but please at least recycle or reuse your bottles. Sorry.... rant over.

At any rate, the water on the ship was perfectly fine. No odor, no weird taste, nothing. It was perfectly fine water. I took a refillable bottle. Filled it in my bathroom sink every day and took it on all our excursions. If you would like to fill it from the beverage dispensers at the buffet, then use a clean glass and then pour from the glass into your personal bottle. They ask that you do not fill personal bottles directly from the beverage dispensers.

Swelling... well personally I think that if this occurs, it is due to changes in your diet. Comercially prepared food is almost always very high in salt content. You just won't be able to avoid this on the ship or in port. It is what it is. You also are probably eating far more calories than usual. If you feel like you are swelling, well.... yup, you probably are. But you can't blame this on water.

I agree with your issues about waste of bottled water and what it is doing to our environment but, for us, there are other issues with tap water. We don't believe in floride or chlorine in our water so drink distlled water that is delivered in 5 gal. containers to us. Yes, we pay more for our water but we don't buy soda, energy drinks, etc. We run a sailing charter business in Florida and have gotten away from bottled water by having a 3 gal. container of water with a pump on it that our customers can drink. we keep a stack of reusable glasses by it that we sanitize between charters. My husband couldn't stand all the empty water bottles we were throwing away even tho we recycle everything. For the ship, we take water bottles with filters in them that filter the water we drink.

Pat

I buy one of the large bottles of water and keep it in the ice bucket. Take a slug when I am thirsty, and when I have to take my meds at night. I don't like the flavor of the water that comes out of the bathroom sink. Don't mind what they serve in the MDR, becasue it's on ice. I dont feel that I have to carry on water as they do sell it on board, it's about 3.75 for a large bottle. I can skip the San Peligrino at 9 dollars a bottle in the MDR.:)

:confused::confused::confused: So, if the problem does not effect you, then it does not exist???

Are you a doctor????

If the water is bad where you live, then move???????? REALLY????

Calm down! :) I'm just saying that we are blessed here in the US (and most other industrialized nations -- and on our cruise ships!!) to have perfectly safe potable water virtually everywhere. If there isn't safe water where you are living, well, that's a problem!

If you don't like the taste, that is a personal preference. Water filters are a great environmentally friendly -- and budget friendly --alternative in that situation. I'm not a rabid tree-hugger, but I do try to be aware of what impact my choices have on the environment. Bottled water is a disastrous choice in that sense. It just is. http://www.commondreams.org/views07/0218-05.htm

There is a water company near us that gets their water from a well on a farm. They take it back and bottle it without doing anything to it. Here's an interesting artlcle on the subject. http://articles.cnn.com/2009-07-13/health/bottled.water.safety_1_bottled-water-bottled-brands-water-suppliers?_s=PM:HEALTH

Interesting article. Thanks for the link :) It's interesting to note that bottled water may contain all the things that people are trying to avoid when they say they won't drink tap water -- and with lack of testing, nobody knows what they are getting.

At any rate, as mentioned before, we drank tap water on the ship for 2 weeks last month and it was just fine for us. We noticed no unusual taste or odor. It worked for us. What you drink is up to you. Enjoy :)

Archived