Cabot Trail

We will be visiting Sydney, Nova Scotia in early October and at the top of our list is the Cabot Trail. We have three choices: rent a car, take a tour offered by the ship, or take a private tour. We normally would prefer to rent a car, but not sure that is the best option given that the ship will be in port only from 9:30 - 5:00. Any suggestions based on experience? Thank you in advance!

We will be visiting Sydney, Nova Scotia in early October and at the top of our list is the Cabot Trail. We have three choices: rent a car, take a tour offered by the ship, or take a private tour. We normally would prefer to rent a car, but not sure that is the best option given that the ship will be in port only from 9:30 - 5:00. Any suggestions based on experience? Thank you in advance!

The Complete Cabot Trail is a full day at least 8 hrs so you would be cutting it very tight and not advisable.

If you are comfortable driving then you could do partial and lunch in Baddeck or St Annes, depending on your interests the other alternative would be to drive out to Louisburg and/or Iona Highland Village.

Review of other threads consensus is either rent a car or take taxi or local tour.The bus was not recommended

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975413

Hope this helps and you have great visit.

The Complete Cabot Trail is a full day at least 8 hrs so you would be cutting it very tight and not advisable.

If you are comfortable driving then you could do partial and lunch in Baddeck or St Annes, depending on your interests the other alternative would be to drive out to Louisburg and/or Iona Highland Village.

Review of other threads consensus is either rent a car or take taxi or local tour.The bus was not recommended

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975413

Hope this helps and you have great visit.

I'll second that (and yes, we're from the Maritimes). ;)

Hi We are using Blue Diamond Tours for a 6.5hr tour of the Cabot Trail in Sydney on 9/16/12. You can check them out! They are based in Halifax.

Dave

Dave, I hope you will come back here with your review. This tour only takes you on a small part of the Cabot Trail to Ingonish Beach (Keltic Lodge) which means you miss most of the really scenic parts of the trail.

I think you would be better off renting a car which should allow you to get at least to Neil's Harbour. (You will not be taking time for a fancy lunch and shopping 'opportunity'.)

http://*******/maps/s6AG

Also check out toms port guides for other ideas.

Dave, I hope you will come back here with your review. This tour only takes you on a small part of the Cabot Trail to Ingonish Beach (Keltic Lodge) which means you miss most of the really scenic parts of the trail.

I think you would be better off renting a car which should allow you to get at least to Neil's Harbour. (You will not be taking time for a fancy lunch and shopping 'opportunity'.)

http://*******/maps/s6AG

Also check out toms port guides for other ideas.

We have the use of the van for 6.5hrs. If you have an itinerary let me know and I will make sure we see the main sites. I contacted another company who did the itinerary you mentioned, Keltic Lodge ,lunch etc. That was not what we are looking for. Unfortunately we are early in the season for the leaves but I have seen pictures of the greenery and streams which looked beautiful. Hopefully we willl see some wildlife.

Dave

It's going to be tough to see a whole lot, but renting a car would definitely be the way to see more of the Trail. Stops along some of the walking trails will give you an opportunity to see wildlife, depending on the time of year. We spent 12 days in Nova Scotia and Cape Breton and the drive...which we took slow with many stops to take in the views and walks was truly something we won't forget. The Keltic Lodge area is nice, but I agree that I wouldn't stop for lunch if you want to really see more of the trail.

Archived