How are the cigars from the Captain's Choice pre-order

Carmenere

We are sailing on 1-6-2013 and I thought about having the Captain's Choice Cigars waiting for my husband when we board (although it is only a token, that has to be redeemed) but at over $10 a stick I want to make sure they are good ones! All they can tell me is what the wrapper is which really does not tell me much. I know Rocky Patel has just released a cigar for the DCL has anyone had those yet?

he'd be better off bringing one or two of his own and then buying some Cubanos at your first port and enjoying them before you get back to the US.

It's illegal for US Citizens to purchase Cuban cigars anywhere.

It's illegal for US Citizens to purchase Cuban cigars anywhere.

I've never heard of anyone ever having a problem with buying and smoking a Cubano off US soil. Heck you can still buy pre-embargo Cubano's in the US, perfectly legal.

I've never heard of anyone ever having a problem with buying and smoking a Cubano off US soil. Heck you can still buy pre-embargo Cubano's in the US, perfectly legal.

31 CFR 515.204 specifically prohibits US citizens from buying Cuban merchandise outside of the U.S.

Just because you haven't heard of anyone having a problem doesn't mean it's legal. I wouldn't be bragging about those Cubans that you smoked within earshot of a customs agent.

§ 515.204 Importation of and dealings

in certain merchandise.

(a) Except as specifically authorized

by the Secretary of the Treasury (or

any person, agency, or instrumentality

designated by him) by means of regulations,

rulings, instructions, licenses, or

otherwise, no person subject to the jurisdiction

of the United States may

purchase, transport, import, or otherwise

deal in or engage in any transaction

with respect to any merchandise

outside the United States if such merchandise:

(1) Is of Cuban origin; or

(2) Is or has been located in or transported

from or through Cuba; or

(3) Is made or derived in whole or in

part of any article which is the growth,

produce or manufacture of Cuba.

We are sailing on 1-6-2013 and I thought about having the Captain's Choice Cigars waiting for my husband when we board (although it is only a token, that has to be redeemed) but at over $10 a stick I want to make sure they are good ones! All they can tell me is what the wrapper is which really does not tell me much. I know Rocky Patel has just released a cigar for the DCL has anyone had those yet?

Looking at your itinerary - Nassau, Castaway Cay - even if I were to suggest that a US citizen buy a Cuban cigar (which I would never, ever do :rolleyes:), they aren't available on Castaway Cay or the ship, and I wouldn't suggest buying one in Nassau as the vast majority are fake. Nassau is infamous for being overrun with fake Cuban cigars. Not a La Casa del Habano in the entire nation. And if someone tries to sell you a glass top box full of Cohibas - just. say. no. They are absolutely, positively, fake.

If cigars are of interest, you might want to stop by the Graycliff Hotel. They have a rolling room and they make some rather well regarded cigars. You won't get a discount there, though. It's actually cheaper to purchase them in the US.

I know that they have a cigar bar on the Disney Dream (it's an outdoor area just outside the Meridian Bar). I'm pretty sure they'll have a selection of cigars available for purchase inside at the bar. My suggestion, though, would be to stop by a good cigar shop prior to your trip and pick up a few good ones to take with you for your husband. You'll have a wider selection and save some money.

Enjoy your trip!!!

• 2 weeks later...
We own a small wine and cigar store so we wanted something a little different. Planning on getting some onboard Thanks!

Which explains your user name. Not many are familiar with that varietal. :)

Archived