Wondering what,if any, sea life you see while out to sea? ( dolphin's,whales,etc? )

Hey CC!

DS asked if he'll get to see any sea life from the boat while at sea? Our first cruise is coming up on August 25th on the Carnival Dream ( eastern itinery).

I love these boards, so much information here but I haven't seen anything on this topic.

Thx in advance :D

Jolene

My DH and I are sailing out of San Francisco to Hawaii on 11/5/2012. After reading this thread I wondered if anyone has seen any wildlife from your ship in Hawaii?

We saw manatees off the side about midship one time at Port Canaveral. It was right after the muster drill, which was held outside at the time. We were still in port or had just left. Kept looking for them, but never saw them again, and haven't seen any since. We have seen flying fish at times.

Don't forget to look down from the ship when you're docked- I've seen thousands of bright coloured fish from my balcony, and once saw a harbour porpoise before we'd sailed out of the dock in Fort Lauderdale. The birds round the islands can be interesting, too- pelicans abound, and if you have your binoculars, you may see something rarer.

I've seen most whales, porpoises and dolphins in early summer, in the Bay of Biscay and round Gibraltar.

A secret from a veteran cruiser - I use this ploy anytime we're at sea, I'm at the pool and thirsty and there is a long line at the bar . . . .

walk to the rail and stare out to sea for a few seconds then yell, "LOOK HONEY, WHALES"

as everyone around the pool runs to the side of the ship, move immedately to the now empty pool bar and order your libation.... watch out for sudden listing of the ship as everyone runs to one side . . .

added fun - at dinner listen to the conversation at all the tables around you: did you see the whales this afternoon? Oh yes, there were 6 weren't there? Oh NO, I saw at least 9 . . . . . :p

A very mature couple we cruise with sometimes do this as well! Now that I know what they are doing, it REALLY REALLY gets on my nerves!

Archived