Was anyone else disappointed with Orient Beach?

I have to say that Orient Beach was not what I expected. After hearing how it is one of the top 10 rated beaches in the world, I pictured a wide, clean beach stretching for a ways. What I found was a small beach area, crowded with shacks renting chairs and umbrellas and full of dried seaweed. Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed the day there, the couple that owned the bar and snack stand where we stayed were friendly, and the price of a lounge chair, umbrella and free drink was more than reasonable at $8, but this was not the picturesque tropical beach I was expecting. If we ever return to St. Martin, I would try another beach. There was also a vendor that kept running with long sarongs back and forth in front of everyone, and this was quite annoying. :cool:

You know, last year we almost booked an excursion there, but at the last minute, we took a taxi to a point nearby and took a small little boat out to Pinel Island. You could probably see it from Orient Beach? We could see Orient Beach from Pinel Island! It was lovely and relaxing! Hardly anyone there! I can't remember exactly what we paid for lounge chairs and umbrellas and drinks, but it wasn't bad considering we almost had the place to ourselves and tons of amazing reef to snorkel in just feet away! Maybe something to consider for next time?

Here's some pics:

257893013_pinelisland.jpg.902581d369e120522c1f97a36a0211d6.jpg

You know, last year we almost booked an excursion there, but at the last minute, we took a taxi to a point nearby and took a small little boat out to Pinel Island. You could probably see it from Orient Beach? We could see Orient Beach from Pinel Island! It was lovely and relaxing! Hardly anyone there! I can't remember exactly what we paid for lounge chairs and umbrellas and drinks, but it wasn't bad considering we almost had the place to ourselves and tons of amazing reef to snorkel in just feet away! Maybe something to consider for next time?

Here's some pics:

I have to tell you that we were torn between Pinel and Orient, and decided to go with Orient since we were not getting into port until noon. We thought we would really decrease our beach time by going to Pinel. Thanks for the feedback, and the pics!

I really like Orient Beach, and there was no seaweed either time I visited and the vendors and service on the beach was good. It is a bit crowded though, defintely not a wide open, expansive beach, but I enjoyed my visits there. My sister, on the other hand, wasn't crazy about it. We went to Dawn Beach last time, which was less crowded but it was not as easy to get a cab back to port from there (we had to wait about 30 minutes until the driver was ready to go).

For the last two years several Islands including St Maarten have been having a seaweed problem. On St Maarten it is affecting several beaches including Orient and Dawn beach. You would have also experienced the seaweed in Cul de Sac, the jumping off point for Pinel. It is truely sad as these are wonderful beaches and when clear are fabulous places to have fun.

From the local paper:

Nature Foundation monitoring large influx of Sargasso Seaweed

~Warns against swimming in Guana Bay~

PHILIPSBURG-The St. Maarten Nature Foundation is once again warning the public about the large amounts of Sargasso Seaweed washing ashore on local beaches.

Based on surveys at sea and in the air there are several large patches of Sargasso seaweed heading into the general direction of St. Maarten and many beaches are already covered in the weed.

This normally affects the Eastern-facing beaches the most, Orient, Dawn and Guana.

gary

We have never had seaweed problems either. But been there mostly in March each time we go. We will be in St Martin the end of August. Hope it is gone or cleaned up.

In Florida they usually clean up the beaches.

We were at Orient in 2010 and we were not that impressed. We feel the same way about Magen's in St. Thomas. Still can't figure out what is so "GREAT" about these beaches.........

Orient had way too many "older" naked people---they really needed to wear bathing suits, a towel, something!:eek::D

We're going back in December, but this time we're going to Sapphire (St. Thomas) and doing a day pass as a resort in St. Martin.

Ditto on the old naked people. Some things should just stayed covered up. If you have been to Horseshoe Bay Beach in Bermuda, nothing will ever equal that location. Orient was not that great. Quit crowded and full of consession stands. Not the pristine beach like Horseshoe Bay Beach.

We were at Orient in 2010 and we were not that impressed. We feel the same way about Magen's in St. Thomas. Still can't figure out what is so "GREAT" about these beaches.........

Orient had way too many "older" naked people---they really needed to wear bathing suits, a towel, something!:eek::D

We're going back in December, but this time we're going to Sapphire (St. Thomas) and doing a day pass as a resort in St. Martin.

What resort are you going to in St. Martin?

Maggie

This post IS NOT directed at the original poster in this thread, but are my general comments about what I see here at Cruise Critic fairly regularly.

Two things:

First, there are comments here and in other threads that people were disappointed in Orient Beach.

I'll be the first to admit that Orient isn't for everyone, but MANY people do enjoy the beach tremendously, as it has so much to offer.

For anyone who is savy enough to navigate Cruise Critic and be able to read all of the reviews here describing pretty much what Orient is all about, you're probably also able to do simple Google (or Bing) searches to find more comments and pictures than you'd ever be able to sort through describing EXACTLY what Orient Beach is like. Thorns and all.

It is an uninterrupted 1.3 miles of beach. On any beach, seaweed and such comes and goes. Big waves or calm waters come and go.

Stretches of the beach have loungers and umbrellas out side-to-side, sometimes close together, sometimes not so close.

Stretches have restaurants/bars side-to-side, but other stretches are virtually empty. Room for your towels, beach throws, or even tents.

People post prices and descriptions of what they paid for loungers or for lunch and drinks. Others say they took their own supplies.

There is just so much information available that I find it difficult to be disappointed when YOU should be able to know pretty much exactly what you're getting yourself into when you decide to go to Orient Beach, EXACTLY what to expect.

Secondly, what to do about the Nekkid People?

It trully saddens me to hear it said here, time and time again, that people considered to be too old, or too fat, or too ugly shouldn't enjoy the beach. That is just callous beyond belief.

THEY paid to be here, just like you did, and THEY're usually tucked away in their own CLOTHING OPTIONAL section of the beach that YOU're aware of and would have to make an effort to visit.

Live and let live?

Judge Not?

gary

p.s. And I say Judge Not in the finest Caribbean Bob Marley sense:

Don't you look at me so smug

And say I'm going bad.

Who are you to judge me

And the life that I live?

I know that I'm not perfect

And that I don't claim to be.

So before you point your fingers,

Be sure your hands are clean.

What resort are you going to in St. Martin?

Maggie

We are doing the day pass at the Westin resort. Here is the link for it:

www.stmaartenforaday.com

It was a toss up between this and another resort, but with this one, we will also have a room for the day included in the price. The other resort offers a room, but it would be at regular room price on top of the $60 per person charge. This deal at Westin is much better, especially if you have 2 couples going in on it!:)

Orient Beach is NOT a pickup bar with sand populated exclusively by Maxim or FHM models and hunks. If you don't like the fact that regular people with lumpy bodies go butt nekkid here, then stay up by the northern end.

We'll be there in November visiting Club O and the 2 for 1 specials at 2:30 PM at the Perch. Be real careful you don't bump into anyone when standing on that line.:D:eek:

Hi,

I am about to go on this same cruise with my teenage sons. We were planning on taking the RC excursion to orient beach but now given what you are saying i am rethinking it. did you do the excursion or just go in a taxi? Do you know what side of orient beach you were on because I was just reading in Trip Advisor that the eastern side is not affected by the seaweek. Also what did you do in Bermuda and was there a lot for the teenagers to do on the sea days? Thanks so much!!

We just returned late last night from our 9 day vacation to St. Maarten. We visited many beaches including Maho, Mullet, Cupocoy, Simpson, Long, Prune, Rouge, Friars, Grand Case and Anse Marcel and none of those beaches had any issues with Seagrass what-so-ever.

We had issues one sunset at Mullet where there was so many tiny flying bugs that drove us to leave. The morning that we spent at Mullet was a little rainy and we did not have a bug issue.

At Friars in 2010 there were many stray dogs but on this visit we only saw a stray pig and heard a dog barking from inside one of the parked cars.

Bay Rouge had lost a lot of beach and looked really bad to me on this visit. Pretty much the whole shoreline was large slabs of rocks which was a new sight for me at this beach.

We did not make it to Orient or Dawn so I can not comment personally on those two beaches on this trip. I do however agree that Orient is best enjoyed by liberal minded, kind hearted folks.

• 1 month later...

Agree with Big Booper and GTaylor - I think too many people have an unrealistic idea of what a clothing optional beach is.

It is DEFINTELY not the playboy mansion or Chippendales. It is for people that enjoy a certain lifestyle

Have visited many FKK beaches in Croatia so I know what to expect.

We didn't love Orient, but not because of the nekked people. We WERE the nekked people. What an experience. We just joined right in as if we were there for weeks(although our swimsuit tan lines proved otherwise). The south side of the beach was lovely. Great people, friendly and plenty of room to spread out.

The "non-nekked" side was really crowded, lots of people really crammed in there. If we would go back....to the nekked side we'd go.

Hubby and I were dropped off at a section with no seaweed. As I walked toward the nude part, I began to see seaweed. It was for quite a distance.

That would be highly unusual for it to accumulate on the Club Orient property.

Because of currents and the shape of the bay and the shelter provided by the reef and Cay Verte, most of the sea grass / seaweed is usually directed towards the Northern end of the beach.

But shift happens.

gary

This post IS NOT directed at the original poster in this thread, but are my general comments about what I see here at Cruise Critic fairly regularly.

Two things:

First, there are comments here and in other threads that people were disappointed in Orient Beach.

I'll be the first to admit that Orient isn't for everyone, but MANY people do enjoy the beach tremendously, as it has so much to offer.

For anyone who is savy enough to navigate Cruise Critic and be able to read all of the reviews here describing pretty much what Orient is all about, you're probably also able to do simple Google (or Bing) searches to find more comments and pictures than you'd ever be able to sort through describing EXACTLY what Orient Beach is like. Thorns and all.

It is an uninterrupted 1.3 miles of beach. On any beach, seaweed and such comes and goes. Big waves or calm waters come and go.

Stretches of the beach have loungers and umbrellas out side-to-side, sometimes close together, sometimes not so close.

Stretches have restaurants/bars side-to-side, but other stretches are virtually empty. Room for your towels, beach throws, or even tents.

People post prices and descriptions of what they paid for loungers or for lunch and drinks. Others say they took their own supplies.

There is just so much information available that I find it difficult to be disappointed when YOU should be able to know pretty much exactly what you're getting yourself into when you decide to go to Orient Beach, EXACTLY what to expect.

Secondly, what to do about the Nekkid People?

It trully saddens me to hear it said here, time and time again, that people considered to be too old, or too fat, or too ugly shouldn't enjoy the beach. That is just callous beyond belief.

THEY paid to be here, just like you did, and THEY're usually tucked away in their own CLOTHING OPTIONAL section of the beach that YOU're aware of and would have to make an effort to visit.

Live and let live?

Judge Not?

gary

p.s. And I say Judge Not in the finest Caribbean Bob Marley sense:

Don't you look at me so smug

And say I'm going bad.

Who are you to judge me

And the life that I live?

I know that I'm not perfect

And that I don't claim to be.

So before you point your fingers,

Be sure your hands are clean.

Absolutely FANTASTIC post, Gary! Agree 1000%.

Archived