Alaska Airlines

momthecruisedirector

Actually there has been delays in getting luggage for the last 3 years due to the baggage handlers union and workers that worked for Alaska Airlines. Alaska Sea Tac baggage handlers were the last that were not outsoursed. With the new workers that do all of the other airlines, luggage will come much faster.

AA has laid off it's baggage workers, flights are delayed and some are cancelled. If your flying in today or tomorrow be sure to check the status of your flight.

thanks for scaring us!

it looks like this may only affect seattle ...some of us are flying to vancouver.

We are flying to Seattle and then on to Vancouver. Now you've got me worried! I wanted to fly in the day before, but instead, we are staying 2 days after. Wish us luck!:(

Amanda

what about flying Seattle to Anchorage?? we are doing that 5-21. We start in Fort Lauderdale and are with American, last leg is Seattle to Anchorage via Alaska....since we are a connection, what do u think the situation will be?

Hi - I live in Seattle and are also flying to Anchorage on May 21st on Alaska Air.. I think that worst case our luggage will be late in Anchorage. Just be sure to always put a copy of your itinerary inside your luggage so it can be delivered to you. (doesn't hurt to always have valuables, medicine etc. with you )

I expect some delays, but as this is still a week away I am not seriously concerned.

Have a great trip.

I think it'll all work out within the week, just concerned about this weeks travel. On the news last night they mentioned chaos for all the people cruising this weekend and suggested they only use carry on bags - obviously the newscaster has NEVER cruised!! That Jim Foreman - what a doof!

I just heard on the news ( Not Chan 5) that the Union was going to shut down the baggage handling this weekend when the cruise ships are in, to make a statement to Alaska Airlines for their 8 offers to the Union that the Union has rejected. That is the reason they were laid off yesterday. All the newscasts are saying there has been no delays today. Hopefully the Alaska Airline passengers will be able to get their luggage much faster now. The last 3 years due to the union protesting the contract proposals, luggage has taken up to 1 1/2 hrs to get.

please keep us updated

Not sure what this means if we are on one airline and transfer to Alaska Air....who moves the bags off of american and places them on the Alasla Air plane?

WASUP-

The problem was only in Seattle, the last of the union luggage handlers working at Sea Tac.. For 3 years Alaska Airlines has been trying to get a accepted contract with the Union, but in all cases the members rejected the contract. In the last 3 years there has been major slowdowns caused by the Union to the point that anytime we traveled on Alaska Airlines, we had carry on baggage if we could. In the news today, they say that there is no problem that most luggage is beating the people coming to Baggage claim. In most airports, the airlines contract out the baggage handling to an independent company in which they can interchange with the outher airlines.

Alaska Airlines has already replaced the former ramp service agents. They now

have contract labor at SEA. And to set the record straight most of the "Alaska"

Airlines station in Alaska are staffed by company, union ramp service agents.

They were unaffected by what happened in Seattle. You will arrive and your

bags will arrive. It really ticks me when people start passing out info that is incorrect. Alaska Airlines is the 9th largest airline in the United States. They aren't going to do something to jeporadize their reputation. Bags are following

and people are moving it's that simple. :)

Alaska Airlines has already replaced the former ramp service agents. They now

have contract labor at SEA. And to set the record straight most of the "Alaska"

Airlines station in Alaska are staffed by company, union ramp service agents.

They were unaffected by what happened in Seattle. You will arrive and your

bags will arrive. It really ticks me when people start passing out info that is incorrect. Alaska Airlines is the 9th largest airline in the United States. They aren't going to do something to jeporadize their reputation. Bags are following

and people are moving it's that simple. :)

Well, I don't know about that. We were scheduled to depart at 6:30PM from Long Beach, CA to Seattle. We are now delayed until 9:00PM with no guarantees the flight will not be cancelled. It still hasn't left Seattle to return to Long Beach. We are fighting with them now for a refund so we can jump in a car and start driving.

They are also STRONGLY suggesting that we bring carry on luggage ONLY. To Alaska? Are you kidding? I'm a nervous wreck. I don't want to drive to Seattle and pay plane fare too. I hope they relent and at least give us future flight credit.

Update:

Nope, no refund or future credit. We just have to take our chances. Geez, thanks Alaska & America Airlines. I understand delays and cancelled flights, but I don't understand them keeping my money if their new flight plans will make me miss my cruise vacation.:mad:

I guess I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Silly- I wouldn't worry about the delay in your flight. You will still get into Seattle around 11:30 PM tonight. You will easily make the 4 or 5 PM sailing from Seattle tomorrow. Alaska Airlines would never cancel the flight. Most start boarding aound 11 AM

Jil, This is Tim from the "O" Thread. Sounds like you are off to a bad start. I thought you were flying SW. If you are still having problems check with Alaska Air partners. You might be able to get them to honor your ticket. Lets us know how it goes. I hope things smooth out. Your flight consultent Tim. Good luck.

I have been on two previous Alaska flights that have been canceled - so I know that Alaska cancels flights. I would call Alaska (not go to the desk at the airport) and get rebooked on another Alaska flight to Seattle.

WASUP - we live in Seattle and are leaving on the 21st also. Maybe we will see you at the airport. Our flight is at 6:00 am, so I have made a list of all other following Alaska flights in case there is a problem.

Let's hope they get this mess straightened out!!

The reports today are that some people were waiting for bags at Sea-Tac for up to an hour or so, due to inexperienced replacement workers on the line. I have not heard of any bag transfers (eg somewhere-Seattle-Anchorage) going awry nor of any schedule disruptions.

For the moment this problem is limited to Seattle; Alaska uses contract baggage handlers in many of their other stations.

What is a potential concern is slowdowns or wildcat action by other workers in sympathy with the laid off ramp people. Nothing known yet but it's a possibility I suppose. Not as bad as United, though, where there were pickets this morning suggesting random strikes or slowdowns, etc., being staged by various groups of workers over the UA bankruptcy pension fiasco.

All the more reason IMO to put some scheduling cushions into your plans, so that if things go sideways you have a fallback position. Also travel insurance might be worth considering.

Archived