The Dorchester Hotel

My wife and I are thinking of staying at Dorchester Hotel, when we visit London next year. We love to walk and would like to know if would be safe to walk to the theatre district from there? It looks like it is less than 2 miles.

Any comments about the hotel and that area in general will be appreciated. Thanks Steve

The Dorchester is one of London's top hotels and is in Mayfair, one of the most exclusive areas of central London. Walking from there to the theatres you will pass through some high end shopping areas, embassy districts and some of London's busiest streets and squares.

Is it safe? Depends what you mean, I guess, but personally I wouldn't worry about it for a heartbeat. But you are in the centre of a big city, so you may encounter an occasional beggar and pickpockets are not unheard of. And, of course, there will be lots of people out for a good time, some of whom will have too much to drink :) Stick to the larger streets if you don't know where you are, think about getting a cab back after the show, and you should be fine and have a great time.

The Eagle hit it right.

The Dorchester is right opposite Hyde Park, one of the major parks of London, as well. It is also a short walk to Oxford Street for shopping. One of the routes to walk toward the theater district can take you through Shepherd's Market and Berkeley Square, home of some of the most exclusive clubs in London.

Also nearby to both is the Last Running Footman, a favorite pub of mine.

Cheers

The Dorchester is in a safe & presigious part of central London, on Park Lane & overlooking Hyde Park & amongst other top-end hotels, embassies, quality car showrooms etc.

No co-incidence that Park Lane is the most expensive location on a Monopoly game board. ;)

There aren't any shops/restaurants in the immediate area, there are one or two high class expensive restaurants, galleries etc about a five minute walk but ask at the hotel to avoid a fruitless walk in the wrong direction or to a booked-out restaurant.

To theatre-land (Shaftesbury Avenue/Leicester Square & beyond) is a safe & interesting walk of 20 mins / one mile plus, simplest by walking along Piccadilly to Piccadilly Circus. Dozens of restaurants in that area for all tastes & pockets, for the vast vast majority there's no need to book. Although the area is safe, might be better to take a cab or tube back to the Dorchester late-nite.

The Grosvenor's nearest tube station & hop on bus stops are a 5 min walk down Park Lane to Hyde Park corner. The Duke of Wellington's home, Apsley House (google "Number 1, London"), which is open to the public, is at that end of Park Lane.

A tube station (on a different tube line) & more hop-on bus stops at Marble Arch - a 10 min walk in the opposite direction. Google Tyburn for some intersting & gory history about the site of Marble Arch, & google Marble Arch for history about how it was designed as an entrance arch for Buckingham Palace but was too narrow for the royal coach & re-located to Tyburn.

London's main shopping street, Oxford Street, starts at Marble Arch.

Sorry, can't comment on the hotel itself - way beyond my pocket :o

JB :)

I haven't stayed at the Dorchester...but, in 2010, we stayed at the Mayfair--maybe 4 or 5 short blocks away...Walked all over the area...never gave it a second thought...felt fairly safe...

Just last month, we stayed at the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge...and walked everywhere from there as well--including to the Theater...and felt completely safe there as well...

Maybe I'm just foolish, but, I don't fear much walking in this central part of London...I noticed as we walked back late at night from the Theater (We saw Shrek the Musical at Drury Lane on Catherine Street and walked back via Whitehall and the Westminster Bridge) that everywhere we went, bars and restaurants were open and many others were walking along the streets...

Likewise, when we stayed at the Mayfair, the walk along Picadilly then on to Leicester Square and into the Theater District was full of bars, restaurants, shops ...and lots of other walkers...

Archived