Naples - Capri - Pastano - Naples

MLA21

Hello! We have a boat tour booked through Capritime tours in the morning and then are planning on going up to Anacapri via the funicular on our own. We will take the hydrofoil from the port in Naples to Capri. Will it be hard to get to Anacapri from the marina in Capri? We will probably be done with the boat ride around 1pm. I'm figuring 2 hours of walking around and for lunch, so we'd be ready to leave Capri around 3pm. We don't have to be back at the ship until 6pm (really it's 7 but I'll say 6 to be safe) and I would love to see Pastano and the Amalfi coast. What are your suggestions? Take hydrofoil from Capri to Sorrento and rent a car to drive from Sorrento back to Naples, being able to tour the Amalfi coast?

The funicular on Capri goes from Marina Grande to the town of Capri. To get to Anacapri you'll need to take either a bus or a taxi (or a very long uphill walk). It's easy to do and you can read all about it on this site: http://www.capri.net/en/getting-around

If you leave Capri at 3 you'd arrive in Sorrento between 3:30 - 3:45 PM. While it's only ten miles from Sorrento to Positano (moving away from Naples, not toward it), these are ten of the most heavily used miles of road in Italy. It is one lane in each direction with hairpin turns and steep hills and it moves quite slowly in the high season.

From Positano back to Naples is nearly 40 miles, three quarters of which is on these one lane in each direction roads, so it can be slow going. Even though mapping programs will tell you that it can be done in an hour, I'm here to tell you that I've made this drive many times over the past ten years, in high season and low, and have never come close to that. Ninety minutes is the least amount of time I'd allow.

Given that, even with a car and driver meeting you at Marina Piccola in Sorrento at 3:30 PM, I don't think this is reasonable.

Hello! We have a boat tour booked through Capritime tours in the morning and then are planning on going up to Anacapri via the funicular on our own. We will take the hydrofoil from the port in Naples to Capri. Will it be hard to get to Anacapri from the marina in Capri? We will probably be done with the boat ride around 1pm. I'm figuring 2 hours of walking around and for lunch, so we'd be ready to leave Capri around 3pm. We don't have to be back at the ship until 6pm (really it's 7 but I'll say 6 to be safe) and I would love to see Pastano and the Amalfi coast. What are your suggestions? Take hydrofoil from Capri to Sorrento and rent a car to drive from Sorrento back to Naples, being able to tour the Amalfi coast?

We are attempting to see Capri and Positano in the same day when we are in Naples on 9/13. We were advised by a reputable tour guide (used by our friends twice with much success) to meet the driver at the ship and drive to Positano then Sorrento first, catch the hydrofoil to Capri, explore Capri town (not enough time to see Anacapri) and then take the hydrofoil directly from Capri back to the ship in Naples. This way you are not worried about traffic when you travel back to the ship. Yes, it is expensive, and you only see a little bit of both places, but we will explore more if/when we return. And if we don't return, then we at least saw both places.

Agree with the wise and experienced Euro Cruiser. It's possible, maybe, if, if, especially with your own personal helicopter and pilot. But, in real life, for naormal people those roads in that area can be slow. THEN, there are the potentials of construction delays, accidents, etc. Our friends were there last month and the folks with RomeInLimo had to re-route things that day due some local "events" in the area that affected traffic that day.

Positano and the Amalfi Coast is super wonderful, but you cannot do it "ALL" (or even half) in just one cruise port day there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 95,143 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We are attempting to see Capri and Positano in the same day when we are in Naples on 9/13. We were advised by a reputable tour guide (used by our friends twice with much success) to meet the driver at the ship and drive to Positano then Sorrento first, catch the hydrofoil to Capri, explore Capri town (not enough time to see Anacapri) and then take the hydrofoil directly from Capri back to the ship in Naples. This way you are not worried about traffic when you travel back to the ship.

It's also smart (and a little self-serving) on the part of the tour guide to route you this way, because getting you back to the ship on time is not his/her concern, it's all on you.

It's also smart (and a little self-serving) on the part of the tour guide to route you this way, because getting you back to the ship on time is not his/her concern, it's all on you.

I hear you on that one - I thought the same. The one good thing is that they are meeting us at 7:30am so we save a 1/2 hour or so in waiting time for the hydrofoil. Our friends who did this also talked us into getting a guide for Capri to meet us at the dock in Sorrento, take us round Capri town (perhaps a boat ride around the island) and then back to the hydrofoil, helping us with tickets, etc. I am starting to think that this is a waste of money because we will only have time to walk around Capri town anyway and surely that is do-able without a guide. Our friends happen to be a little less independent than us (they don't even use CC). Any thoughts from our wiser members on this option?

Thx

Capri is completely do-able on your own, especially if you're not looking for an intense history or art experience. For what you've described you'll certainly be able to do it yourself, Capri is quite compact and easy to get around.

We will be there in a couple of weeks, just noticed we will be there on a Saturday. Any idea if the hydrofoil's will be much busier on a Saturday? I have read that it can get a little chaotic getting on board on the return trip.

How much time do we need to see the island? Is 5 to 6 hours enough?

Thx.

We will also toss our hat in the ring with Euro. Yes, you can probably get to both Positano and Capri on a port day if you are willing to spend the big bucks for a car/driver (who will not even be with you once you leave for Capri). However, you will not have enough time to see much of Capri and you will have gone all the way to Positano to then leave the Amalfi Coast when you could have had your driver take you to both Amalfi and Ravello. We never advice cruise passengers to try and do the Amalfi Coast (even if its just Positano) and Capri on the same day. Also keep in mind that you need to allow extra time to get back down to Marina Grande for your boat back to Naples. The queues for the cable car can be long in mid-afternoon when many folks are all trying to get down to the port at the same time. We normally allow at least 45 min just to get to Marina Grande (to play it safe).

Regarding the previous post asking how much time to see Capri we can only answer that we have been there many times and still prefer to go there for a full day. For us its about relaxation, having a nice lunch, taking the chairlift from Anacapri to Capri and browsing many of the high-end shops (without buying anything).

We will also toss our hat in the ring with Euro. Yes, you can probably get to both Positano and Capri on a port day if you are willing to spend the big bucks for a car/driver (who will not even be with you once you leave for Capri). However, you will not have enough time to see much of Capri and you will have gone all the way to Positano to then leave the Amalfi Coast when you could have had your driver take you to both Amalfi and Ravello. We never advice cruise passengers to try and do the Amalfi Coast (even if its just Positano) and Capri on the same day. Also keep in mind that you need to allow extra time to get back down to Marina Grande for your boat back to Naples. The queues for the cable car can be long in mid-afternoon when many folks are all trying to get down to the port at the same time. We normally allow at least 45 min just to get to Marina Grande (to play it safe).

Regarding the previous post asking how much time to see Capri we can only answer that we have been there many times and still prefer to go there for a full day. For us its about relaxation, having a nice lunch, taking the chairlift from Anacapri to Capri and browsing many of the high-end shops (without buying anything).

OK Hank, so if this was your first time in the area, which would you pick - Amalfi Coast or Capri? Assume that I might not be back for a long time, so this trip needs to stay in the memory banks for a while.

OK Hank, so if this was your first time in the area, which would you pick - Amalfi Coast or Capri? Assume that I might not be back for a long time, so this trip needs to stay in the memory banks for a while.

A tough question! I just asked DW and she mentioned that on our first visit (this was decades ago) we went to Capri. The irony is that when we vacation in the area we stay on the Amalfi Coast (in Praiano) and not on Capri. Both options are wonderful and if all things were equal we would probably choose an entire day on the Amalfi Coast with visits to Positano, Amalfi and Ravello and a decent lunch in a cafe/restaurant with a view. But (always a but) all things are not equal. You can easily go to Capri on your own and the round trip cost for 2 will be about 80 Euros (including the cable car on Capri). To take a private tour on the Amalfi coast will cost a lot more (if you can get a few to share it might be reasonable) and we never recommend doing the Amalfi Coast on a cruise ship excursion. The problem is that cruise line excursions use large buses which are not permitted to enter into Positano (you just get to gaze down on the city from the road above).

DW says either way you cannot go wrong. I would lean towards the Amalfi Coast (with a private driver) if money is not an issue.

Hank

A tough question! I just asked DW and she mentioned that on our first visit (this was decades ago) we went to Capri. The irony is that when we vacation in the area we stay on the Amalfi Coast (in Praiano) and not on Capri. Both options are wonderful and if all things were equal we would probably choose an entire day on the Amalfi Coast with visits to Positano, Amalfi and Ravello and a decent lunch in a cafe/restaurant with a view. But (always a but) all things are not equal. You can easily go to Capri on your own and the round trip cost for 2 will be about 80 Euros (including the cable car on Capri). To take a private tour on the Amalfi coast will cost a lot more (if you can get a few to share it might be reasonable) and we never recommend doing the Amalfi Coast on a cruise ship excursion. The problem is that cruise line excursions use large buses which are not permitted to enter into Positano (you just get to gaze down on the city from the road above).

DW says either way you cannot go wrong. I would lean towards the Amalfi Coast (with a private driver) if money is not an issue.

Hank

Thanks for the candid and well-thought out opinion. Very much enjoy your comments on these threads.

Hi, is it possible to walk down to the Marina Grande? If so how far is it? Also, any idea of approximately what time the Capri port starts getting very busy?

Hi, is it possible to walk down to the Marina Grande? If so how far is it? Also, any idea of approximately what time the Capri port starts getting very busy?

We know it is possible to walk up or down and have heard (we have not done it ourselves) that it takes most folks about 45 min. As to what time things get busy it will really depend on the time of year and the weather. During the season all of the hotels and inns on the island will normally be pretty full so those folks are there all day. The various boats from the mainland start to arrive by 9:30 and as more boats arrive the island gets more crowded. We could make an educated guess that the peak hours are from 11 until 3. That being said, even when we have been there on crowded days we had no problems getting around and there are more then enough cafes/restaurants to handle the masses.

Hank

Archived